Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

GM Perf. Parts debuts SMOG LEGAL 430 hp LS3 for 1995 or Earlier Cars or New Stree Rod

Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Default GM Perf. Parts debuts SMOG LEGAL 430 hp LS3 for 1995 or Earlier Cars or New Stree Rod

Sorry to sound like a commercial, but I am jazzed about this product. This has to be the coolest product I saw at the 2009 SEMA Show this week.

GM Performance Parts debuted their first E-Rod engine, a fully smog legal LS3 6.2L 430 horsepower small block engine, complete with all smog equipment, including injection, coil on plug ignition, and catalytic converters. You just basically connect your exhaust system, fuel system, battery, and throttle. It includes the ECM, injection, evaporative cannister, manifolds, all sensors, harness, and cats. It's even drive by wire! They also offer a couple accessory drive kits to mount the alternator, A/C compressor, and power steering pump. This is the same engine as that used in the C6. It is certified smog legal for use in any 1995 or older vehicle. It can also be used in new 2010 custom built street rods.

When I asked the GM reps, what happens when you show up with this new engine at the smog station, they said they worked with the California Air Resource board to get this approved, and the Bureau of Automotive Repair is ready to certify your installation. In other words, they know it is coming. FINALLY, no screwing around trying to build something smog legal. That has been such a pain in this state.

With 430 hp, it is no slouch, either. If it can run the C6 to 60 in the low fours, it is going to outperform many non-smog engines. It has OEM reliability, because it is an OEM engine, which has gone through hot and cold weather testing, and 500 hour full throttle durability tests. Turn the key and go!

It has a full two year warranty, and actually runs down the same assembly line as the C6 engine. GM said it is hot tested at the plant just like a production engine, too. The fuel economy is obviously going to be better than most built up 430 hp small blocks, too.

It can be mated to either a manual transmission or 4-speed auto. They said the 6-speed autos are too finicky calibrationwise to work reliably in a custom application, but the 4-speed autos are fine. They have tested it with the T56 6-speed manual, too. They said you do need to buy a flywheel for the manual, but all the calibrations are there. You just indicate whether you are using an manual or auto when putting in your order.

List price is about $9400, and they expect street prices around $8500.

This is the first of several engines coming. The next will be a lower priced 5.3L. After that will be the supercharged 6.2L CTS-V engine with 556 hp. Later will be 505 hp 7.0L LS7.

Even for people not in smog restricted states, this is a nice combination, because you get a full OEM engine, with all the performance, reliability, driveability, and fuel economy that comes with it.

Michael
Old 11-06-2009, 08:44 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Great idea.

Wow, GM is really reaching out the performance enthusiasts. Surprising since they are dealing with major cost cutting now (hope it ain't on the tax payers tab). Yea it takes an army of engineers to get something the CARB will live with. Many home builders could do it too but don't have an emissions testing lab to document good results. For some reason cars that can pass the gas tests still need all the original smog equipment whether it contributes anything to clean air or not.

Thx for posting Michael,
cardo0
Old 11-23-2009, 12:08 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Old 11-25-2009, 12:17 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

My only question is if they are using the same computer as a C6. In other words, can I use EFI Live to tune this engine? Or, is it a locked computer like they use for the Ramjet 350/502. In which case, I'll build my own setup.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Perf. Parts debuts SMOG LEGAL 430 hp LS3 for 1995 or Earlier Cars or New Stree Rod

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Perf. Parts debuts SMOG LEGAL 430 hp LS3 for 1995 or Earlier Cars or New Stree Rod