Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Best choice in gaskets?? rear seal upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best choice in gaskets?? rear seal upgrade

Well all went well with my full roller 355 build. Lit right up and runs nice. I have not go into tweeking the jets or fine tuning it yet. But dam I have a leak dripping off maybe out of the blowshied. Can't believe but I guess I have to accept it's the RMS. I can look right at the back of the crank and it does not look wet. I just can't figure where else it could come from to be leaking from the blowshied. I noticed Fel-pro has a Fluoroelastomer RMS is this a better seal? Then they have 2 for a SBC????? Summits description I can't tell what the hell the differance is? I figure I'll put a new one piece oil pan, RMS, and valve cover gaskets on it to get this cork BS out they all seem soaked with oil.

Thanks.

Edit Head Gaskets are already Fel-pro everything else is not. I know kick me now.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

One other source of oil leaks from the back of the block is the three main oil gallery plugs. You may not have a rear main seal leak at all. You'll need to remove the flywheel to inspect the plugs.

As for the difference between the Fel-Pro gaskets, the Z2912 and the Z2900 are silicone-based fluoroelastomer seals that will last longer and seal better that the stock rubber seals especially under high RPM situations. The individual composition of the seals determines the price. The top of the line fluoroelastomer seal is about double the price of the other seal ans really not necessary IMHO for a street-driven vehicle since you normally don't sustain 6500 RPM for long periods of time.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:29 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
One other source of oil leaks from the back of the block is the three main oil gallery plugs. You may not have a rear main seal leak at all. You'll need to remove the flywheel to inspect the plugs.

As for the difference between the Fel-Pro gaskets, the Z2912 and the Z2900 are silicone-based fluoroelastomer seals that will last longer and seal better that the stock rubber seals especially under high RPM situations. The individual composition of the seals determines the price. The top of the line fluoroelastomer seal is about double the price of the other seal ans really not necessary IMHO for a street-driven vehicle since you normally don't sustain 6500 RPM for long periods of time.

Thanks as usual, moving carefully here. I have a new seal, pan and valve cover gaskets. I have the pan off and passengers side valve cover. Yes I'm aware of the plugs. I even was under it while it was running and could see no oil on the crank. I think it must have been leaking low on the pass valve cover and running down to the starter and around and down the blowshield. I don't think the crank/flywheel/inside of the blow shield look to have any oil on them. It was running down the side and dripping at the bottom so I assumed the worst. I can't decide weather to replace the RMS now or put the pan back up and wait to see. I bought the one piece fel-pro so it's made to remove over and over. I just hate to replace/mess with it if it's not leaking. I also want to prove to myself It's not leaking, either that or I like turning wrenches more than driving....

Get notified of new replies

To Best choice in gaskets?? rear seal upgrade

Quick Reply: Best choice in gaskets?? rear seal upgrade