Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

LS1 out of chevy truck. Would like 350-400whp

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:29 PM
JDMCRX
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 out of chevy truck. Would like 350-400whp

Hey guys.

I have a 2000 silverado and it has a 4.8 init now and i want to do a 6.0 swap and i would like around 350whp threw a 4L60E tranny.

I was looking at picking up some LS6 heads basic Intake Headers and exhaust. FAST LSX intake manifold.

Im going to rebuild the motor.

What combonations do you guys require. Im also looking for some fuel ecomny to.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:41 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Just Rebuild the LS1

Unless you just want to spend money, keep the truck LS1 intake manifold. It may not be sexy looking, but it flows very well. I don't think that LS6 heads are not necessary even if the stock LS1 heads are trashed and require a complete rebuild. Given a choice between new and rebuilt, it should be cheaper to rebuilt the stock heads with upgraded components, e.g., springs, roller rockers. Adding the headers will make the most difference to HP and mileage.

What computer are you going to use with the LS1 - the one out of the Chevy truck or a tricked up unit? This will have a profound effect upon the engine's performance especially if you change from the stock LS1 cam to something hotter.

YMMV, but taking the time to rebuild the stock LS1 would seem the best course of action here as you should achieve the target 350+ HP at the flywheel. If you're looking for 350-400 RWHP, your fuel mileage will suffer dramatically plus I wouldn't run that HP combination through a stock 4L50E transmission.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:24 PM
JDMCRX
7th Gear

Thanks Mr Beachcomber

Well i was told LS6 Heads flow alot more stock and there supos to be cheap once and a while. Or would i be better off cleaning my stock heads up and putting some new parts in them.

Not sure one what combo to go with . I want 350whpish is my goal. I was going to re build the 4L60 or is it a 50 not sure. Put ins some upgraded clutchs and what else i need to do to hold the power and torque.

As for ECU i was looking at doing LS1Edit i hear pretty good things about it?

Any ideas or setups would be nice to read up on.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:55 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMCRX
...Well i was told LS6 Heads flow alot more stock and there supos to be cheap once and a while. Or would i be better off cleaning my stock heads up and putting some new parts in them...
Unless you're buying used, buyer beware LS6 heads, they're not cheap at roughly $1500 a piece. Even the Edelbrock LS1 RPM CNC heads are $1300 a shot. You never indicated what the ultimate goal of the engine swap was except for more HP. If this is a daily driver/weekend warrior, more torque below 5800 RPM should be the goal which will equate to more HP in daily driving. If this is an all out/money is no option swap, then the LS6 heads and FAST intake manifold are just the starting point of upgrades. Cam, pistons, and blue-printing the block and reciprocating components is next. How much money are you willing to spend?
...I was going to re build the 4L60 or is it a 50 not sure. Put ins some upgraded clutchs and what else i need to do to hold the power and torque...
Upgraded clutch material and additional plates will help out on the street, but not behind a monster HP engine. (Ever wonder why the Z06 was never offered with an auto tranny?)
...As for ECU i was looking at doing LS1Edit i hear pretty good things about it?..
I would recommend talking with the C5 Scan & Tune forum guys on this one. They have the experience you need.
...Any ideas or setups would be nice to read up on.
Stay with the stock LS1 rebuild. Concentrate on torque - not HP for a street engine. Upgrade the auto tranny to handle the increased torque. Make sure that your cam is matched to the driving characteristics of your truck, e.g., cruise RPM, rearend ratio, and wheel size, so you don't end up with a dog on the street.

Good luck with your rebuild!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My 03 LS1 Silverado got 13 mpg stock. I dont think economy is in your future.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:12 AM
TreySmith
Instructor

A big cam LS1 with headers and other supporting mods will get you 390 or so at the rear wheels through a 6 speed. So a nice sized cam on a 6.0 with supporting mods will get you where you need to be and sound great.

Going with maybe an MS3 in my 99 WS6, hoping to be over 400rwhp cam only..
Old 08-22-2010, 05:13 PM
YBNORMEL
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Just to play the devil's advocate, what about just trading your truck for one with a 6litre motor in it. Once you start modding a motor beyond an intake and headers fuel milage can go away fast.
As far as swapping the motor there should be a kit that will convert you wiring over to the 6 litre and still use the stock PCM. Just make sure that you have someone lined up to do the tune.
Good Luck.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:43 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by TreySmith
A big cam LS1 with headers and other supporting mods will get you 390 or so at the rear wheels through a 6 speed. So a nice sized cam on a 6.0 with supporting mods will get you where you need to be and sound great.

Going with maybe an MS3 in my 99 WS6, hoping to be over 400rwhp cam only..
His heavy truck may not like a lot of cam timing.

Why cant he take the 6 litre do some headwork a reasonable cam and tune and motor on? Should run pretty strong.
ditto on keeping the truck intake.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Neverdone
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YBNORMEL
Just to play the devil's advocate, what about just trading your truck for one with a 6litre motor in it. Once you start modding a motor beyond an intake and headers fuel milage can go away fast.
As far as swapping the motor there should be a kit that will convert you wiring over to the 6 litre and still use the stock PCM. Just make sure that you have someone lined up to do the tune.
Good Luck.
FYI depending on the year, the 6.0L engine is a DIRECT swap for the smaller 4.8/5.3L. There were some years that had different length crank shafts which results in having to use a spacer/adapter to mate it to your stock 4L60E tranny. If you get the correct year 6.0L the swap is as simple as remove and replace.

As for the intake, for the power levels you are looking at, definitely stick with the stock truck manifold. It is more than enough to get you to your goals with supporting mods.

I am not sure on the rules here so I will PM you the URL for a great message board that can answer any question you could ever have about the LS series engine and the swap you are going to do.

Trevor.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:44 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Id also like to know what yr 6 llitre to use for my 02 Silvy..also what yr 4l60 or 4l80 I can use.

Was thinking abotu H/C on this but shoot why not start with something bigger and better for the same money as the H/C
Old 10-09-2010, 07:29 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

Im doing a 6.2 swap in my 5.3 Colorado and looking at 600hp+ at the crank with F/I. You can find some good deals on 6.2 truck engines from wrecked trucks and or do a LS3 swap from a wrecked C6. Or you could get a used LS1 for cheap and build up without breaking the bank.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Nasty C6
Burning Brakes

I just finished up another 6.0 swap. TBSS intake,Fast 90mm TB,42lb injectors,243 heads[stock],Lq9 shortblock[stock],big cam and headers.Yank 3600 stall. my 4l60e with some goodies.
Made 440rwhp/458rwtq. in a extended cab,shortbed truck. very fun truck to drive.pisses stock vette owners off. you can make 350rw with a max effort 4.8. why switch to a 6.0 if your not looking to make more hp ?

Get notified of new replies

To LS1 out of chevy truck. Would like 350-400whp

Quick Reply: LS1 out of chevy truck. Would like 350-400whp