Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

What engine do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 09:32 PM
kaz1961
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What engine do I have?

Hi guys. I recently bought a 1978 El Camino with a Corvette engine in it. Could you tell me how to identify what engine I have? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:18 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: What engine do I have? (kaz1961)

If the engine was originally installed in a car from the factory (as opposed to being bought over the counter), and it hasn't been decked, there should be a code that identifies it's origin. This will be on a pad on the passenger side front of the block where it meets the head. There should be the vin of the car it was originally installed in at the factory followed by a 2 or 3 letter code that identifies the original engine/trans combination. If the numbers are there, post `em and we'll tell you want you have. Keep in mind that there are no guarantees that the engine itself is still stock. Also keep in mind that guys have been advertising ANY Chev V8 as a Corvette engine for years just because it sounds better. (Those same guys also think any Muncie is a M22 and that any dual feed Holley is a double pumper:)). In most years, the base Corvette engines were the same as optional engines available in other, and much higher production, Chev models.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:24 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: What engine do I have? (kaz1961)

try to post a picture of the engine, unless you know what year corvette it came from

Get notified of new replies

To What engine do I have?

Quick Reply: What engine do I have?