Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Deciding on what time of engine to build TPI vs Carb

Old 08-31-2012, 02:42 AM
lowkeycoupe
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding on what time of engine to build TPI vs Carb

Hey guys I know this is slightly off topic as the engine Im planning on building won't end up in a vette (Monte Carlo SS) but I may be building an L98 TPI vette engine so I thought this was relevant. I was told and from research the Monte is close to a C4 in weight.

I want to build a 383 stroker and am in a pickle to what type to build. I will be buying the block as I don't have anything yet so Im open to both ideas. Im confused weather it would be a better idea to build a 383 TPI (as the monster torque it produces, and the tune ability) or a carb 383 just like the classic chevys (the stock engine is a 305 carb)

Another question I had was for those who have experienced or owned a high hp engine. Would the slightly higher torque of the TPI be better or the more balanced HP/TQ of a carb engine. Would I be able to tell a big difference between the two? and I assume mileage is going to be very different as well?

thank you guys!!!!

OR possibly build a carb engine now with the possibility of an aftermarket fuel injection down the road? like an Edlebrock.

Thanks again!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Try the 383 with the Eddy pro flo injection min.

Or just put a carb on it.

FIRST TPI makes a good long tube setup other than that the 383 will strangle the best ported long tube setups been there many times.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 PM
lowkeycoupe
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input man I think I'm just going carb as the TPI seems maybe not the best application for this. Is the Eddy any good? I don't know anyone who has ever had one
Old 09-28-2012, 12:57 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

most the Edelbrocks are calibrated for stockish specs you may have to fool with them. They are reliable...Id install a heat shield underneath as they have a tendency to percolate from heat soak easy. Hard corners/heavey throttle sometimes youll get a hesitation. Overalll good though. Holley HP series are awesome I would never buy a cheaper low end holley. Adjustablility of all the circuits on the HPs is nice.

Get notified of new replies

To Deciding on what time of engine to build TPI vs Carb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deciding on what time of engine to build TPI vs Carb