Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

PCV Catch Can Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Dogged
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PCV Catch Can Upgrade

For those of us that have a PCV oil catch can, I thought I would share a little upgrade tip to improve the oil removal efficiency.

This was done on a Elite Engineering can, but the methodology would be the same for any brand.

1. Remove the original mesh. This one comes with a stainless steel ball of mesh as the coalescing media. It's not very dense, which can allow small particles of oil mist to pass it by.

2. Cut a piece of Scotchbrite and insert on the downstream side of the mesh canister. This is used to make sure nothing solid passes it by and gets into the intake.

3. Find some polyester fill. You can get it from any art store, like Hobby Lobby as pillow fill or from a stuffed animal from the bargain bin. My dogs donated part of one of their toys for the project. Polyester has an affinity for oil and will trap much smaller mist particles and coalesce them into large enough droplets that gravity can remove.

Stuff it into the inlet side of the canister. The Scotchbrite will keep it from migrating out.

3. Screw the canister back together.

And you are ready to install.

4. Be sure you give your dog back their toy! (After safely pushing the stuffing back in)

You now should have a greatly improved catch can. Be sure to check it from time to time for solids accumulation and structural stability. This should be something you do regardless of whether you perform this mod.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: PCV Catch Can Upgrade