Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

What is the difference between a original Torker and TM-1 Intake??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 06:06 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default What is the difference between a original Torker and TM-1 Intake??

I wonder if there is a difference between those 2 intakes:

Edelbrock Torker and Edelbrock TM-1. They look identical....

I assume that they are the same and some knowledgable persons have told me that they are the same but I would really like to know why they had different names if they were identical...

Here are 2 pics - the first is a TM-1 the second is a Torker:

Old 06-16-2002, 08:06 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: What is the difference between a original Torker and TM-1 Intake?? (DavidB)

I can see a few casting differences--water passage/thermostat housing, and around the distributor hold down boss. The oil filler tubes also look like they'd point in opposite directions, but maybe I'm just looking at them funny. Functional differences, however... :confused:
Those differences are probably because of the different age of the intakes...
I found another pic of a Torker that doesn't show those differences:

There must be some reason for the different name....

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 7:07 PM 6/16/2002]
Old 06-18-2002, 12:31 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: What is the difference between a original Torker and TM-1 Intake?? (GrandSportC3)

nobody knows??? Where are all the experts :confused: :confused:

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 06-19-2002, 02:19 AM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What is the difference between a original Torker and TM-1 Intake?? (GrandSportC3)

I can't tell you what the difference is. They look like they would have very similar performance characteristics. You know, Edelbrock has a website that you can ask technical questions, and they would be the experts.

I have had very good luck with the Torker series. Granted there are dual planes that have the Torkers beat in the lower rpm's, but the Torker line makes up for it at the top of the "bandwidth".

Some don't like it, some do. They're like anchovies in that respect.
Best thing I can say is try it. A strong engine will see very minimal difference in the midrange rpm's but will definitely see a strong upper rpm performance.

Consider the Torker and Torker II a single plane that'll fit under a stock hood with a performance band at lower than average rpm's compared with other single planes.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:51 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: What is the difference between a original Torker and TM-1 Intake?? (MoMo)

I can't tell you what the difference is. They look like they would have very similar performance characteristics. You know, Edelbrock has a website that you can ask technical questions, and they would be the experts.

I have had very good luck with the Torker series. Granted there are dual planes that have the Torkers beat in the lower rpm's, but the Torker line makes up for it at the top of the "bandwidth".

Some don't like it, some do. They're like anchovies in that respect.
Best thing I can say is try it. A strong engine will see very minimal difference in the midrange rpm's but will definitely see a strong upper rpm performance.

Consider the Torker and Torker II a single plane that'll fit under a stock hood with a performance band at lower than average rpm's compared with other single planes.
I actually e-mailed Edelbrock with the same question more than a week ago and they didn't respons so far... What I've heared about the Torker is that it's basic RPM range is from 2500 - 6500 and the TM-1 from 3500 - 7000. Maybe this information is wrong and both intakes are the same... That's what I'm trying to find out..

Olivier
Old 06-20-2002, 12:10 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Man, I'm digging way back, but isn't the TM-1 the Tarantuala? If it is, I can give a little insight.

The old Torkers were relatively small runner single planes that ran fantastic. They made great low end and still puled pretty well up top.

The Tarantuala's were slightly larger in the runner size and plenum volume to shift everything a little higher in the rpm range. These things were made when a 350 was a "big" small block. No one was making 383's and screaming 406's and larger.

I've run both and they work great. I'm sure a new RPM Air gap is better, but if this works under your hood, you're ahead!

Jim
Old 06-20-2002, 08:46 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: What is the difference between a original Torker and TM-1 Intake?? (427Hotrod)

Man, I'm digging way back, but isn't the TM-1 the Tarantuala? If it is, I can give a little insight.

The old Torkers were relatively small runner single planes that ran fantastic. They made great low end and still puled pretty well up top.

The Tarantuala's were slightly larger in the runner size and plenum volume to shift everything a little higher in the rpm range. These things were made when a 350 was a "big" small block. No one was making 383's and screaming 406's and larger.

I've run both and they work great. I'm sure a new RPM Air gap is better, but if this works under your hood, you're ahead!

Jim
It is indeed the tarantula :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: and the information you gave me is exactly what I was looking for!! Thanks a milion!!!
I had my TM-1 ported and matched to the 1205 gasket which should give me additional power... I also use a 1/2 inch spacer for added power... The only reason I didn't go with the Air Gap is that it is after all a dual plane intake... For my application - a single plane intake is a better choice.. I think that a TM-1 is going to pull harder at high RPMs than a Air Gap (because of its single plane design) but I might be wrong...

Olivier
Old 06-20-2002, 11:50 AM
BeaterShark
Drifting

How much did you have to take off to match the 1205 gasket (ie. what was the original port dimensions? Also, do you have the front and rear heights for this manifold?
Old 06-20-2002, 12:44 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: What is the difference between a original Torker and TM-1 Intake?? (Chris A)

How much did you have to take off to match the 1205 gasket (ie. what was the original port dimensions? Also, do you have the front and rear heights for this manifold?
I didn't do the matching myself. My mechanic matched it to the gasket so I don't know... :(

I don't have the exact measurements of the intake but it's just a little higher than a PERFORMER Intake and a little lower than a PERFORMER RPM...

Hope this helps...

Olivier

P.S. My current setup is following: TM-1 intake with 1/2 inch spacer and a 1 1/4 inch drop base air filter with a 2 1/4 inch K&N filter element. The hood clearance with this setup is a little more than 1/4 inch.

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 11:49 AM 6/20/2002]
Old 06-24-2002, 06:31 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

You'll be ahead if you can get it all under the hood. The RPM air gap is a great intake,but if you have to choke it with a short air filter you're dead.

A Tarantula is a relatively small intake as compred to todays offerings and can make a great street piece in a larger small block. Plus the spacer should help some.

Jim
Old 06-25-2002, 03:08 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: What is the difference between a original Torker and TM-1 Intake?? (427Hotrod)

You'll be ahead if you can get it all under the hood. The RPM air gap is a great intake,but if you have to choke it with a short air filter you're dead.

A Tarantula is a relatively small intake as compred to todays offerings and can make a great street piece in a larger small block. Plus the spacer should help some.

Jim
I still have to install the spacer... I got a 1/2 inch spacer for the Tarantula but it's not installed right now......

Olivier

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 2:10 PM 6/25/2002]
Old 06-27-2002, 12:53 AM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

I went ahead and port-matched my Torker II to match the ported intakes on my oval port heads. And I took a LOT of meat out, particularly in the far cylinders.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:50 AM
tapio
Racer

I too emailed Edelbrock and got an answer. They told me that TM1 was used in the late 60´s, powerband is 3500-7000 and it was designed as street/strip manifold. That´s all I know about them.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:14 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: What is the difference between a original Torker and TM-1 Intake?? (tapio)

I too emailed Edelbrock and got an answer. They told me that TM1 was used in the late 60´s, powerband is 3500-7000 and it was designed as street/strip manifold. That´s all I know about them.
I am curious what kind of HP I'm going to get with my new engine and the TM-1.... I will post results as soon as I have them! 3500 - 7000 is the perfect RPM range for my application...

Olivier

Get notified of new replies

To What is the difference between a original Torker and TM-1 Intake??

Quick Reply: What is the difference between a original Torker and TM-1 Intake??