Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Mcloed Street Twin got vibration(95Vetteski) any thought?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 07:44 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mcloed Street Twin got vibration(95Vetteski) any thought?

Well I finally got my blown 383ci up running. Everything look good and sound good. But I have vibration problem at 2800rpm. Motor were built by Agostino and is internal balanced. I called Mcleod they say when I order the clutch I should have specify it for 383ci with internal balanced so that they can send me the flywheel with zero balance. Now they told me to take off the counter weight on the flywheel that would become zero balance. Any one encounter this problem before? or I have to send back the flywheel to Mcleod.

Bruce
93LT1 Conv w/ZF6
Blown D1-SC/N2O
ARE built 383ci

Old 07-04-2002, 10:39 PM
Ray Vargo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mcloed Street Twin got vibration(95Vetteski) any thought? (Bruce)

When you balance a engine the rite way you aways balance it the final time with the flywheel & pressure plate installed take the weigth off like they say it's all you can do.

Ray
Old 07-05-2002, 12:29 AM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If your motor is internally balanced then yes there should be no weight on the flywheel. If removing the weight makes the flywheel balance zero then go ahead. To be on the safe side I would just take the flywheel to a local machine shop and have them neutral balance it. This way you'll know 100% its right and won't have to drop the exhaust and tranny again.
Is the vibration only at the rpms you mention or throught out the rpms?
Old 07-05-2002, 02:53 AM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Mcloed Street Twin got vibration(95Vetteski) any thought? (95vettski)

Is the vibration only at the rpms you mention or throught out the rpms?

At 2800rpm heavy vibration, its pretty bad when go over 3rpm. I will try to get the flywheel off on Sunday and take to speed shop to neutral balance it.

Bruce
Old 07-05-2002, 09:42 AM
SloRvette
Drifting

Cruise-In VII Veteran

There's a bolt on balance weight on the side of the flywheel that faces the block. If you take the inspection cover off, you should be able to get the weight off without pulling the trans.

The machine shop didn't have the flywheel when they did the balance work ?
Old 07-05-2002, 03:00 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Mcloed Street Twin got vibration(95Vetteski) any thought? (SloRvette)

well, originally I want to buy the clutch that come the flywheel, so I can have ARE to balance together. When I ask Nick Agostino, he says he has one in the shop. Week later I called him and asked make sure it for 1993 vette w/ZF6. Not the camaro T56. Guess what? 4 weeks later he verified with Mcleod its for the T56 tranny. By than the motor is already one. So I went on and ordered the clutch from Chris at SpeedDemom. But I should have specified for 383ci internal balanced.

Bruce

[Modified by Bruce, 1:01 PM 7/5/2002]
Old 07-07-2002, 06:35 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Removed th counter weight today. NO MORE vibration. Problems fixed. :) Now I need to break it in and get tuned.

Bruce
93LT1 Conv w/ZF6
Blown D1-SC/N2O
ARE built 383ci/Stage II heads
Old 07-11-2002, 12:04 AM
C4396roadster
Pro

whats the diff bet flywheel for t56 & zf6 cause I have my zf6 with the t56 flywheel and am still working out the kinks throughout? :confused:
Old 07-11-2002, 09:10 AM
SloRvette
Drifting

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Mcloed Street Twin got vibration(95Vetteski) any thought? (C4396roadster)

The ZF6 is a pull to release throw out bearing. The T56 is a push to release throw out bearing.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:27 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Bruce, it's amazing at the number of "experts" that either don't know, don't care, or are mis-informed on the subject of flywheels and clutch combinations for the ZF6 transmissions. Do you get the impression that I might have been a "victim" of this ignorance? I am in the process of correcting what the "clutch authority" offers for a 1990 flywheel. It's .100" too thick! The net result was over extension interference between the clutch fork and the clutch cover. Plus, they sent me a throwout bearing for a later ('93 through '96, smaller output shaft) They accepted the return of the flywheel, but guess what, they then had the gall to discount the value of the flywheel AND charge me a 20% restocking fee for two problems that THEY created, on top of it all! The company that has this particular problem is not alone. Bottom line is, buyer beware. Check EVERYTHING before you install it.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:16 AM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Mcloed Street Twin got vibration(95Vetteski) any thought? (h rocks)

Sadly, some of these stories are strangely familiar to me. :(
Old 07-12-2002, 09:33 AM
SloRvette
Drifting

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Mcloed Street Twin got vibration(95Vetteski) any thought? (h rocks)

Bruce, it's amazing at the number of "experts" that either don't know, don't care, or are mis-informed on the subject of flywheels and clutch combinations for the ZF6 transmissions. Do you get the impression that I might have been a "victim" of this ignorance? I am in the process of correcting what the "clutch authority" offers for a 1990 flywheel. It's .100" too thick! The net result was over extension interference between the clutch fork and the clutch cover. Plus, they sent me a throwout bearing for a later ('93 through '96, smaller output shaft) They accepted the return of the flywheel, but guess what, they then had the gall to discount the value of the flywheel AND charge me a 20% restocking fee for two problems that THEY created, on top of it all! The company that has this particular problem is not alone. Bottom line is, buyer beware. Check EVERYTHING before you install it.
Was this one of the McLeods ? Is there a thread out there going into more detail ? When you say clutch cover, are you talking about the pressure plate itself or the bellhousing ?

So far, so good with the McLeod. Hopefully I'll get this thing fired up this weekend.

Old 07-13-2002, 01:21 AM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Mcloed Street Twin got vibration(95Vetteski) any thought? (SloRvette)

Other than the vibration I was getting before. The clutch dis and flywheel everything working perfectly for me. One thing is very mis leading people, it s a bolt on. It is not a bolt on. Almost a $1000 clutch kit. When I received it . The instruction tell you to modify the pivot ball. In order to do that perfectly, you will need to have a lath to cut off .050 inch of the pivot ball flange thickness. They should have supplied a new pivot ball for that.

Bruce
Old 07-13-2002, 07:37 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

No, Mc Cleod was one of the better choices.

Get notified of new replies

To Mcloed Street Twin got vibration(95Vetteski) any thought?

Quick Reply: Mcloed Street Twin got vibration(95Vetteski) any thought?