Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Question on hole in distributor shaft for drive gear pin

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 02:08 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Question on hole in distributor shaft for drive gear pin

So, posted in C3 Tech but no reponses in 210 views.

I have been chasing a little timing issue and ended up determining that my distributor gear had some wear in it.

My setup is a Fast XFI Dual Sync Distributor with a Comp Cams composite distributor gear. So, got my new composite distributor gear today. For those that are unfamiliar, the composite gear only has one hole drilled so you have to fit the gear to the shaft and then drill the second hole with a 3/16" bit.

When I finished drilling the hole, I had to remove gear to set the end play. I noticed that the hole in the shaft looked like it was slightly elongated in the vertical dimension (up and down the shaft). I noticed that the roll pin would now drop into the shaft slightly.

I finished the install, and the car runs great but now I am worried that the pin is not supported over its entire length. It would suck to have the pin the holds the gear to the distributor shaft shear.

Of course, I don't remember what the hole in the distributor shaft looked like before I had to drill the new gear.

Additional info. Just pulled the car apart again. Pin is 7/8" long. Pin will slip in one side almost 1/8" and other side ~3/16". So that is ~5/16" worth of the 1/2" diameter shaft where the pin is not tight. Pin is tight in the distributor gear.

Did I just make a $345 (new distributor) mistake?

Old 07-15-2016, 03:31 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

having to a little research on this situation it had never heard of drilling holes in distributor gears. Comp Cams doesn't drill hole completely through gear so once installed you will have a time trying to get it off shaft. Correct? Pin not being tight could be a problem. I would get a 5mm spring or split pin, it would slightly larger in diameter, of the correct length. See if it will tighten things up. I wouldn't try to do anymore drilling. You could take what you have to a good machine shop and see what they suggest.

Quick Reply: Question on hole in distributor shaft for drive gear pin