Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Tuning is getting more difficult.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 10:01 AM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Tuning is getting more difficult.

Have not seen this on other forums but FCA is in the process of adding a Gateway Module to the CAN bus for 2018. Got this off the Dodge LX Forum.

This is from dealerconnect 2018 lx service info
"The SGW module is a Cyber Security hardware device to stop unwanted access and threats to the Controller Area Networks (CAN’s) for the vehicle. The gateway does not contain any drivers, and therefore does not directly operate or control any vehicle components.
The complexity of in‐vehicle networking has led to the development of a variety of bus standards and protocols that are specific to their application domains. The SGW module serves as the information bridge between these communication domains and the diagnostic scantool. Serving also as the vehicle’s central interface for diagnostics and OEM flashing, hardware security features prevent unauthorized network access." "operation" "The Security Gateway (SGW) module is located in the Controller Area Network (CAN) architecture between the Data Link Connector (DLC), Radio Receiver Module (RRM) and Body Control Module (BCM). The main function is to gate messages from one bus to another. It will provide security against certain types of attacks and threats from the service tool or RRM bus to the vehicle. The module gates messages within the CAN-C bus, or the CAN-BH bus. The module contains up to eight dual wire CAN channels that comply with CAN-FD (the module does NOT support partial networking functionality). The module is a frame gateway, it does not provide signal gateway functionality. With the gating there are several criteria that must be met, that is to say the message must be on the allowed list from the source bus. The SGW module prevents threats to the bus systems through the DLC. A secure connection must be present to allow authentication between the SGW module and the diagnostic scantool. The SGW module will then allow the radio to turn ON via the system data bus"
Recently fca is shutting down witech 1.0 and forcing all of us at the dealership to upgrade our micropods to 2.0 , there was a little tidbit on witech about it, cant find it now. The 2.0 pods will support comms with the new security gateway module.
OBTW - The guy that develop this mess now works for GM.
Looks like a guy named nazmi sabi (has a linkedin page) developed it then left and went to g.m. , wonder if he will sing about it now that he is no longer employed by fca??? Looks like we are going with canfd, figured we were going with flexray or something similar. I
Old 11-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Kevin Parent
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Was told by a reliable source that tuning a 2018 and after GM product will be next to impossible due to code.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:47 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

I worked at an Alfa Romeo dealership prior to LG (sales, management and service). Eurocompulsion was my go to on aftermarket performance for customers and I think it took their tuner a good 4-6 weeks to get into the ecu for the Giulia. I don't know what system he was using but on the 4C rather than tune the car individually it was just a stage 1 and 2 ecu replacement that he could make adjustments to if needed based on vehicle set up. That'll be okay on milder builds but on these extensive procharger builds I think we'll start to see heavier use of motec systems.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning is getting more difficult.

Quick Reply: Tuning is getting more difficult.