Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Can you daily drive an automatic cammed C6 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 05:45 PM
sinisterc6ix
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you daily drive an automatic cammed C6 Corvette?

I plan on camming my 2008 C6 Corvette in the future and was wondering how the Vengeance Racing Kaotik cam or Brian Tooley Racing stage 4 cam would be for daily driving? My car is an automatic so I was wondering what setup y’all would recommend I have to support the cam and make it drive smooth. My car right now is pretty much stock other than the Airaid CAI that the previous owner had installed. I just wanna make sure I go the right route when I eventually want to cam the car. The Kaotik Cam or BTR stage 4 cam are the ones I would want to get so any input would be great, thank you.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:45 PM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by sinisterc6ix
I plan on camming my 2008 C6 Corvette in the future and was wondering how the Vengeance Racing Kaotik cam or Brian Tooley Racing stage 4 cam would be for daily driving? My car is an automatic so I was wondering what setup y’all would recommend I have to support the cam and make it drive smooth. My car right now is pretty much stock other than the Airaid CAI that the previous owner had installed. I just wanna make sure I go the right route when I eventually want to cam the car. The Kaotik Cam or BTR stage 4 cam are the ones I would want to get so any input would be great, thank you.
First off thank you for considering our Vengeance Racing KAOTIK Camshaft. This camshaft will run great in your application. You will need to run an aftermarket Converter with a 3000 to 3600 stall and a good tune. I recommend upgrading to a set of longtube headers such as ARH or Kooks to help you get the most out of the camshaft. We have several customers with this combination and it makes for a great and fast street car.

Camshafts:
https://vengeanceracing.net/2005-c6-...camshafts.html

Headers:
https://vengeanceracing.net/2005-c6-...r-systems.html

Let me or Robert know if we can be of any assistance to you. Feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:18 PM
sinisterc6ix
6th Gear

Originally Posted by David@Vengeance
First off thank you for considering our Vengeance Racing KAOTIK Camshaft. This camshaft will run great in your application. You will need to run an aftermarket Converter with a 3000 to 3600 stall and a good tune. I recommend upgrading to a set of longtube headers such as ARH or Kooks to help you get the most out of the camshaft. We have several customers with this combination and it makes for a great and fast street car.

Camshafts:
https://vengeanceracing.net/2005-c6-...camshafts.html

Headers:
https://vengeanceracing.net/2005-c6-...r-systems.html

Let me or Robert know if we can be of any assistance to you. Feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email.
Thank you for the reply! Would you happen to know what options they chose for the Kaotik cam kit? I’m looking at the “Vengeance Racing Budget Cam Kit-LS Engines” and I was wondering what options to choose would be best as far as the push rods, springs, and the other options that are there at the bottom along with those for the Kaotik Cam. Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2017, 07:53 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Why not supercharge the vehicle? Or better yet leave it stock?

The aftermarket cams often require dual valve springs that need replacement every 15 or 20k miles.

That would suggest choosing a very mild cam so the valve springs don't have to be changed that often.

To me it was an annoying factor on my daily driver with an aftermarket cam.

I wouldn't want to be involved with dropping my daily driver to get its valve springs routinely replaced.

Money wasn't an issue and I found down time on cars sitting at many tuners as a normal occuramce ...

I never had patience for my car sitting in the lot of a NJ tuner ..

That's why I think the supercharger is just a cleaner easier everyday driver path..

Passing emissions in my home state is a pain but can be dealt with...but again the superchargers often come with with emission certificate.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:02 PM
sinisterc6ix
6th Gear

Originally Posted by JerriVette

The aftermarket cams often require dual valve springs that need replacement every 15 or 20k miles.

That would suggest choosing a very mild cam so the valve springs don't have to be changed that often.

I wouldn't want to be involved with dropping my daily driver to get its valve springs routinely replaced.

Money wasn't an issue and I found down time on cars sitting at many tuners as a normal occuramce ...

That's why I think the supercharger is just a cleaner easier everyday driver path..

Passing emissions in my home state is a pain but can be dealt with...but again the superchargers often come with with emission certificate.
I agree with the supercharger and the fact that you get instant power when you want to get on it or just cruise around with no problem but you gotta love the sound of a nice choppy cam lol. Thanks for your input!
Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 AM
WideVette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

I currently have same year cars, one supercharged and one with a cam. I do not care for daily driving the car with the cam (mild). They are both manuals (I know you have auto), and it's impossible to consistently drive at parking lot speeds and in traffic without continuously compensating for the lope. Turn a/c on, drivetrain rattles.

Supercharged drives stock and puts a smile on my face anytime in boost.

I'll never have another car, at least manual, with a bigger cam again.

P.S. It's tuned by the best. Not a tune issue, but a cam issue (at least for me as a daily, and it's a mild cam).

Last edited by WideVette; 12-07-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:45 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

My C6 had a mild Cam, Yank 3200, headers, FAST 102 intake, and tune. It ran fine. I sold it with about 60K on the clock and it ran fine. It did not like the extreme heat of South Florida in the summer and if I kept it, I was going to get a Dewitts radiator.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:13 AM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

keep peak lift at or below .600 lift and the spring replacement is not a problem... some people just like the lumpy idle....
Old 02-01-2018, 11:15 AM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

and to the op... yes you need a steeper gear and a looser converter to make a big cam drivable on the street.... but there are trade offs with it... mainly gas mileage and transmission heat buildup...
Old 02-05-2018, 10:08 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Think using a big cam/auto for a DD is a huge mistake youll hate it after 2 weeks.... Dont get sucked up in sound clips & dyno sheets.
Big cam lover myself but they have their place...personally stay away from steep ramp cams you want longevity over a teeny tq increase
On any good sized cam youll be needing to check/replace valvetrain pieces at some points not just on solids. If you do solid dont be afraid of some lash.

Last edited by cv67; 02-17-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:19 PM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by sinisterc6ix
Thank you for the reply! Would you happen to know what options they chose for the Kaotik cam kit? I’m looking at the “Vengeance Racing Budget Cam Kit-LS Engines” and I was wondering what options to choose would be best as far as the push rods, springs, and the other options that are there at the bottom along with those for the Kaotik Cam. Thanks again!
Feel free to give Robert or I a call @ 678-513-7105 or you can email us at Sales@VengeanceRacing.net and we will be glad to help you with building you cam kit.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:29 PM
Tuna Goat
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Daily a Kaotik /3800 yank combo.. love every second of it..
Old 03-05-2018, 09:35 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

My old Camaro with a LS1 had a cam and a Yank 3600 converter. Absolutely no issue to DD it. My cam was smaller than a BTR4. I have always been of the school that you're always better to slightly undercam than overcam. With the gears in your A6 trans your stock rear gears will be fine. With the lockup converter you won't lose much MPG and fluid heat is nothing, put a cooler on it. Enjoy. A nice cammed A6 is a treat to drive.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you daily drive an automatic cammed C6 Corvette?

Quick Reply: Can you daily drive an automatic cammed C6 Corvette?