Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

1977 454 our of motor home?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 03:58 PM
Bobbyzwrld77
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 454 our of motor home?

Yeah I was try to see if a 1977 454 out of a motor home is ok to set up for more horsepower? A couple of my friends have given me different answers to this saying because of the fuel restrictions around then that the block wasn’t meant for performance only low end torque. I’m not for sure I haven’t got the motor yet to look it over. I’ve only ever worked on engines out of Chevy performance vehicles Z28 camaro’s and so on. Just curious if it’s worth putting cam,heads,and upper on it? Looking up certain things on that year engine only stock with 230/250 horsepower and a 4 barrel carb and heavy duty transmission.

Last edited by Bobbyzwrld77; 03-18-2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 04-10-2018, 06:00 PM
7 Devil's
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobbyzwrld77
Yeah I was try to see if a 1977 454 out of a motor home is ok to set up for more horsepower? A couple of my friends have given me different answers to this saying because of the fuel restrictions around then that the block wasn’t meant for performance only low end torque. I’m not for sure I haven’t got the motor yet to look it over. I’ve only ever worked on engines out of Chevy performance vehicles Z28 camaro’s and so on. Just curious if it’s worth putting cam,heads,and upper on it? Looking up certain things on that year engine only stock with 230/250 horsepower and a 4 barrel carb and heavy duty transmission.
So that stock cast crank and rods with put up with 500 HP all day long UNDER 6,000 RPM. Hypereutectic pistons are good inexpensive alternatives. The heads are the real choker in that setup. Likely what people call peanut ports. Great for low end grunt but nothing else. The block is no different than any other 454 block. Probably 2 bolt main, cast pistins, maybe truck rods which aren't bad for stick peices.
It really depends on what your trying to do. If it's going in a reasonably car with deep gears it qwil live longer in a drag racing environment.
Factory blocks correctly prepped with live past 1,000 HP depending on RPM so as that goes build it.
If you want further info on block prep to make it live a long time shoot me a message.

Dan
Old 04-10-2018, 09:05 PM
Bobbyzwrld77
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you.

Yes sir the heads are the peanut port I had never heard that term till I started messing with the upper 70’s engine. I just putting it together for a camaro or light medium body car/truck for my son and myself to go have fun in and work on together. Not looking for much more than 500hp not really building for hard strip races just a little fun. I haven’t decided after I do all the piston and upper work if I wanted to go all electric fuel, and water pump.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:14 PM
7 Devil's
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobbyzwrld77
Yes sir the heads are the peanut port I had never heard that term till I started messing with the upper 70’s engine. I just putting it together for a camaro or light medium body car/truck for my son and myself to go have fun in and work on together. Not looking for much more than 500hp not really building for hard strip races just a little fun. I haven’t decided after I do all the piston and upper work if I wanted to go all electric fuel, and water pump.
Hypereutectic pistons are often cheaper than factory cast aluminum. Under 500 HP the electric water pump is probably unnecessary and opens funds for other toys. If you find open chamber of semi-open chamber factory heads (oval port) most of them will support 500+ HP failry easily. If you want to build a fun street car for you and your son, keep the RPM down and focus on torque production from idle to 5500 and that big block will blister the the hides for you on demand.
Also, another great way to make more power. Aftermarket cast stroker cranks are no more expensive than a factory replacements. That being said a 1/4 inch arm (4.25 stroke) with a .060 over bore takes you out to 496ci for essentially the same cost as a 454 build. The cast crank (Scat/steel) is fine up to 650 HP below 6300 RPM and the added torque production will definitely out a grin on your faces.
The biggest issue I see for you is replacing the heads from a cost point of view.
in any case a 454 can make tons of torque and thus smiles in a street car. I hope you and your son have a blast building it and reaping the rewards.

Dan
Old 04-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Milan454
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

What are the casting number on the heads? 77 should still have oval port heads. They were used well into the early 80s.
The following users liked this post:
project C4 (05-21-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 08:35 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,477 Likes on 4,249 Posts

How about this reason?

IT WORKS!

And it works very well. Amazingly compact, stone cold reliable, plenty of performance and lots of low end torque, and with the AFM system very efficient.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

w/milan thats a good block if you dont want it send it my way. Your advisors hopefully meant not lots of compression but otherwise a great foundation
You can make good power with peanut ports if you know what youre doing (porting)
I bet yours has 781 ovals which are good heads.

Last edited by cv67; 09-11-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:21 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

This discussion is killing me. My first Corvette was a 427/390. My heart is breaking. Good luck with the car

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 454 our of motor home?

Quick Reply: 1977 454 our of motor home?