Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Twin Turbo LT1 too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 06:06 PM
Last Ride
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo LT1 too good to be true?

I found a shop in Shaumberg, IL ( http://www.ls1speed.com ) that is making twin turbo kits for later model F-bodies LTx and LSx and for the C5. Their LTx kit for the F-body rings in at $6500 for everything, including custom bent 321 stainless headers and downpipes. When I wrote and asked about an application in my car (78 Corvette with 95 LT1), they replied that a custom kit would have to be made, but they could do it for about the same price of the F-body LT1 kit. Is this too good to be true? What about this company; has anyone ever heard of them or dealt with them? TIA,
Old 12-18-2002, 08:11 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Twin Turbo LT1 too good to be true? (Last Ride)

Where were they a year ago! If they're only charging $6500 for a complete 321 stainless steel turbo system they are probably turning away business. Does that include an intercooler?

Old 12-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Last Ride
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Twin Turbo LT1 too good to be true? (Monty)

Where were they a year ago! If they're only charging $6500 for a complete 321 stainless steel turbo system they are probably turning away business. Does that include an intercooler?
Monty--
Looks like I jumped the gun a bit. The headers are 321 stainless, the downpipe; 304 stainless. A single intercooler with aluminum plumbing keeps the temps down. Here is the link to the actual specs: http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=new
Still think it's worth checking into? I mihgt have to go with this mod this year instead of doing the interior, stereo, etc.

[Modified by Last Ride, 8:45 PM 12/18/2002]
Old 12-19-2002, 11:42 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

304 stainless for the downpipes is perfectly acceptable, that's what I have as well. The downpipes are not subjected to the same heat, pressure, and thermal stress that the header is, especially if the design of the system places the weight of the turbo and wastegates on the header.

That's a very good price for what they are providing. My only concern would be the upgradability of the Stage 1 system. It mentions custom hybrid Garrett turbos which is fine, I would just want to know if the flanges for the headers and downpipes are T04 flanges. If you ever decide to swap turbos the TO4 flanges will make it alot easier and provide you with a much wider selection of turbo options. The flanges can always be changed, but it makes it a little more work.

If I had known about them last year, I would have given them a call myself. They're located about 30 minutes from my house.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:28 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I think it would be great, but have they actaully looked at a C4 before they said they could do it for the same price?

Would this include tunning?
Old 12-19-2002, 06:18 PM
Last Ride
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Twin Turbo LT1 too good to be true? (bill mcdonald)

I think it would be great, but have they actaully looked at a C4 before they said they could do it for the same price?

Would this include tunning?
The first question is a moot point in my case because my LT1 is in the bay of my 1978 Corvette. There seems to be more room in the bay than the bay of a C4. I am not sure whether or not it would include tuning, but that is something that would need to be discussed. I am sure to put such a system on the C4 would involve a major departure from the kits they are currently selling just from a placement of components. Monty-- Good point. I don't want to handicap performance by having collectors that were too small. The website does mention that with a properly built motor, the system will put over 700 hp. That is much more than I will need! On a side note, my mechanic here in Spring-patch seems to think that a 4L60E, properly built, would take all sorts of abuse. He says to at least use the current tranny until it breaks, then worry about options later. Anyway, thanks for the input. I will be checking into this further, rest assured.

Old 12-19-2002, 06:54 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

The Guys at Speed Inc are great to work with.. MVR 155 on the forum knows them quite well and they are also dyno tuning his GS..

Get notified of new replies

To Twin Turbo LT1 too good to be true?

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo LT1 too good to be true?