Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Santa came early. Intercooler finally finished. Pics Inside...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 10:17 AM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Santa came early. Intercooler finally finished. Pics Inside...

:) Man I'm siked! My buddy Marty Just finished my intercooler! :thumbs: I went over to his house last week wondering if It would ever get done and let me tell you, It was worth the wait. He showed up with it today all polished up and ready to go and said "Just don't stand there with your mouth open, lets get it mounted". :yesnod: :smash: The fit was just like my cardboard design. Its cool seeing a plan come together. Thanks go to my kindergarten teacher for the cardboard arts and crafts instruction. :lol:

The Intercooler will be forward of the motor laying flat between the frame extension and scooping up the air from under the car. Two 8" fans will also be mounted on top of both 10X12X5" cores. I designed a special 13” tall vertical radiator to fit in front of the Intercooler to keep things cool (still a work in progress and I'm not going to rush him). The hot air charge from the turbos will go into each side of the Intercooler and merge into the 4" outlet in the middle. A GReddy type "S" BOV will be fitted on the top of the Intercooler at the merged center section. Now I can get busy fitting and running the turbo plumbing. Here's a few pics to get a better idea of the setup. Happy Holidays to all you guys... :crazy:

Old 12-24-2002, 10:23 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Santa came early. Intercooler finally finished. Pics Inside... (Stingraycrazy)

Stingraycrazy,

That's an awesome looking intercooler; I am such a sucker for TIG welded aluminum. Clever installation and design too. You are definitely doing it first class, but I have to agree with what some others have said - you're going to have a problem keeping it down to 600hp. As mentioned, you'll probably only need a little over 5lbs of boost to make that. The lightest wastgate spring is almost 7psi. If you're running 2-port wastegates, you'll probably need to keep the top port open to atmosphere to keep the boost that low.

You're building a very nice car, that's going to be fun to drive. I really like your attention to detail.

[Modified by Monty, 9:25 AM 12/24/2002]
Old 12-24-2002, 11:32 AM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Re: Santa came early. Intercooler finally finished. Pics Inside... (Stingraycrazy)

Great looking job! Like Monty, I love looking at well done aluminum TIG welding. I do some aluminum TIG welding from time to time and the only thing that saves me is my grinder! I can't get that "surgical" look. I hear the guys in the trade call it "laying dimes" and that is exactly what a great job looks like. The whole project looks to be first class.

Steve
Old 12-24-2002, 03:02 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Santa came early. Intercooler finally finished. Pics Inside... (542C2)

Thanks guys, it came out just like I planed it. Scary! Marty is a wiz when it comes to welding. I can't wait to see my radiator :crazy:

[Modified by Stingraycrazy, 8:05 PM 12/24/2002]
Old 12-24-2002, 04:10 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Santa came early. Intercooler finally finished. Pics Inside...

That looks terrific!

It'll have show as well as GO :cool:

:cheers:
Old 12-24-2002, 11:09 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Re: Santa came early. Intercooler finally finished. Pics Inside... (JD 90 383)

Nice work separating the air flows :cheers:
Old 12-24-2002, 11:38 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Santa came early. Intercooler finally finished. Pics Inside... (BrianCunningham)

Thanks guys, I love the sparkel of polished aluminum... :crazy:

[Modified by Stingraycrazy, 4:39 AM 12/25/2002]
Old 01-02-2003, 03:33 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AWSOME fabrication !!! Tell us more about that billet waterpump.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2003, 08:15 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Santa came early. Intercooler finally finished. Pics Inside... (bowtie racing)

Meziere has a billet mech. waterpump. This one is electric too. I think I'll go w/ the belt driven one.

Marck
Old 01-03-2003, 02:57 AM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Santa came early. Intercooler finally finished. Pics Inside... (Twin_Turbo)

Thanks Marck ! Good looking piece. Do you have any flowrates ? I have allways loved billet parts and billet electric waterpumps but havent had guts to try one -because i dont believe they live on street. But Mechanical billet would be my choise.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:48 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Santa came early. Intercooler finally finished. Pics Inside... (bowtie racing)

Sorry for not getting back to you Bowtie, the pump is a Hawkes billet high flow. I picked it up new in the box off EBay, one of the best EBay picks I've made. I just hope it runs as good as it looks... :crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To Santa came early. Intercooler finally finished. Pics Inside...

Quick Reply: Santa came early. Intercooler finally finished. Pics Inside...