Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Blown 509 Merlin street car

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 11:51 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Blown 509 Merlin street car (Beach Dude)

Mine is only a street car too and I have no interest anylonger in racing but by overdriving the blower low rpm boost really comes on strong without pushing the motor. Drive my wife's factory blown bonneville and the boost is always comming on , even normal hills. To get this with my vet I overdrive the blower 15% and it gives me low boost pressures in normal driving'
Granted the boost really goes high is really pushed but I seldom/almost never really push it. I have had it 15% underdriven, the 1 to 1 and now 15% overdriven and I like it best this way.
Besides being a holley user, I am not a fan of holley, to me out of the box they have alot of problems but that said and the fact that any new holley I buy I take apart from alot of bad experience and go through them modifying for boost reference power valves. Holley sells carbs with this already done.
What it allows is for you to run the motor very lean and lots of advance for normal cruising and great gas mileage and little wear on the motor then when the boost crosses 0 and starts building boost the power valves are blown off thier seats and the mixture richens up. I have mine set at 15-1 then 13-1 when the boost starts. I also run a timing boost control to pull timing out of the motor
I don't know how other carbs will work but to me this boost power valves is the way to go.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:43 AM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Blown 509 Merlin street car (Beach Dude)

Hey guys, Thanks so much for the advice. I am sure the tuning will be a chore, but in the end will be worth it. I have ridden in 2 blown cars, 3 turbo cars and some nitrous vehicles, I am convinced that forced induction is the way to go. I have scheduled the car to go to a shop to modify the frt crossmember for the lower pulley clearence on Monday 12/1. Looking at a BDS setup this weekend but I understand it has edelbrock comp carbs, new setup, maybe they can change/upgrade to the holleys. If this deal does not work, phone call to Dyers on Monday. Could be a expensive weekend. :cheers:

Quick Reply: Blown 509 Merlin street car