F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

(SE MI) Paint Bubbly Woes Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default (SE MI) Paint Bubbly Woes Revisited

I need some help people. The paint on my wife's 2001 T/A across the sail panel (backbone of the T-tops) is bubbling along the lead and aft edges. Research on other forums has disclosed the cause to be the adhesive used to secure the top and bottom of the sail panel together gases out into the paint layer, and produces these bubbles, which burst and ooze the now-congealing glue.

GM put out a TSB in Feb 03 about the issue (but no recall) and I've got a copy off the NHTSA website. I've approached two Pontiac stealerships about getting a repair/replacement per the TSB, but they've either got no clue about it or turn me down flat.

Anybody out there experience this problem, or know someone who has, and has had a successful negotiation with a dealership for the repair? If so, PM or post up here!

Thanks for reading!
Old 09-02-2007, 10:55 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I have spots on my '02 Z roof (no T tops), and if you visit some F body forums the problem is wide spread. My '97 does not have a problem even though it's the same roof because GM changed the adhesive in '98 and the new adhesive gasses through the SMC causing the slimy bubbles. To repair it rquires replacing the roof and using a different adhesive. I have read that GM is covering this repair, so I'm checking it out this week. Here are 2 numbers I got from other owners to call if dealers refuse to repair it under warranty; 800-762-2737 or 866-790-5600. These will get you a case number and hopefully, authorization.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pontiac turns me down

Last week I received another phone call from Pontiac Customer Service regarding my bubbling roof problem. The representative I was working with couldn't find the TSB in her archives (don't know why), so she asked me to mail her a copy of the one I pulled off the 'net. So I did. Her reply was very short; Pontiac won't cover repairing the roof, period. I'm out of the warranty period, it's not a recall so we can't help, blahblahblah.
I figured this would happen, but I thought I would give it a try anyway. I'm thinking of now writing GM and see what they can do for me.
If anyone can offer tips or other phone #'s please chime in.

Thanks, James.

Get notified of new replies

To (SE MI) Paint Bubbly Woes Revisited

Quick Reply: (SE MI) Paint Bubbly Woes Revisited