F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Another New Camero Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:23 AM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 02MillenniumVette
but from what Scott Settlemire is saying, the new Camaro will not be getting any engine that is in any production vehicle right now. Thats for the V8 version, Im not sure about the V6. Personally Id love to see the Z28 get the LS2 and the SS get the LS3.
Lt's hope that GM gets their act together. The 2002 back Camaro with the V6 all have the value drop to zilch after 100,000 miles. Even though the Camaro forums and the V6 Camaro forum say that they are good for more, the truth of the matter is that after 100,000 miles on a V6 Camaro, the market value is $5000 and less.

Let's hope the next Camaro in base trim is a bit more long lasting to keep value up. People buy Corvettes because of perceived value even when old and high miles. Obviously, they do not perceive this with V6 Camaros. The Z28s do ok over 100,000 miles, though.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:11 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Maui
I would not even consider the new Camaro with out an LS3
You wouldn't be happy with a 400-420HP LS2? Just curious as to what you would buy as an alternative...a 300HP Mustang GT? A $70,000 GT500? A Challenger? Tough crowd here...
Old 11-04-2007, 10:14 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 02MillenniumVette
That could be a possibility. Since the LS9 is not in any production vehicle right now, I could see that being in the SS, probably detuned some though.
I'd be willing to bet that engine option would be a year or two after initial production...
Old 11-04-2007, 11:54 AM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by danziger
I'd be willing to bet that engine option would be a year or two after initial production...
Yea I think Scott has already announced that. Whatever the top of the line is, SS, ZL1, or some other name, will come out the following year. If I remember correctly, there are suppose to be three different V6 models and three different V8 models available. Of couse that is including the "SS" as well. Im not sure what the "SS" will get but Ive heard that the Z28 will get the LS3. I dont know if it will be detuned or not though. Hopefully that is true and it would be cool if the "SS" got the LS7 or the LS9.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Red99SS
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by danziger
You wouldn't be happy with a 400-420HP LS2? Just curious as to what you would buy as an alternative...a 300HP Mustang GT? A $70,000 GT500? A Challenger? Tough crowd here...
The Challenger might actually be... well a challenger, but the Stang GT... Ford is gonna have to get their crap together in the next few years. It's kind of sad when a new Mustang GT can be out gunned by a 1993 Z28.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Anything available in the Vette SHOULD likewise be available for the "Baby" Vertte, {Camaro} RPO 505 HP.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

The places I see the Camaro doing well against Mustang are these:

1. In the '60s, the Camaro had every go-fast Chevy part ever made except FI and tripower.

2. Affordability. You had the straight 6 for the base which anyone could afford ($2466 in '67, up to $2621 in '69) to the $18,455 in 2002 for the base coupe. The Z28 convertible was about $10,000 higher than the base coupe. By the late 1990s, Camaros cost too much.

3. Ease of work. The '60s Camaros nearly every kid who ever owned one had worked on it in their backyard or garage. The Fourth Generation was being worked on, but who ever heard of "dropping" an engine instead of pulling one? It was a bit more than most backyard hot rodders could handle.

4. Simplicity. Up until the mid '80s, Camaros were simple and easy, allowing lots of mods to be made. This meant that work was cheap also. By the Fourth Generation, they were anything but simple. Yet Mustangs continued to be modified in home garages.

If Chevy keeps the formula for a fast, simple, clean, lightweight car that anyone can afford, they will beat Mustang. But if they build another Fourth Generation, they will out-perform the Mustang at the track, but lose definitely in the showroom.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:03 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner
3. Ease of work. The '60s Camaros nearly every kid who ever owned one had worked on it in their backyard or garage. The Fourth Generation was being worked on, but who ever heard of "dropping" an engine instead of pulling one? It was a bit more than most backyard hot rodders could handle.

4. Simplicity. Up until the mid '80s, Camaros were simple and easy, allowing lots of mods to be made. This meant that work was cheap also. By the Fourth Generation, they were anything but simple. Yet Mustangs continued to be modified in home garages.
3. Hmmm. The 4thGen could be a PITA, especially the OPTI, but for basic bolt-on stuff it was no harder than a 3rdGen. Pulling engines is kind of outside the scope of most "back-yard hot rodders" regardless...

4. I'll give you that the Ford 5.0 was one of the easiest modern engines to work on, but the 4.6? Uh, from personal experience it is WAY more of a PITA. OHC, physical engine dimensions and packaging, and less than stellar electronics come to mind. Compared to the LSx, the aftermarket isn't as robust for the 4.6 engine and it has been out since what, 1993?

Quick Reply: Another New Camero Thread