F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

An Original 1967 'SS' L78 Camaro...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default An Original 1967 'SS' L78 Camaro...

Finallyl back together with all it`s matching parts. The Vettes 88 is out and back in the Vette and the L78 has been returned to the 67Camaro. Unrestored with the original paint still applied on it`s exterior. This Camaro is one of 1100+ built and is a extremely high optioned Piece. The exhaust is Hooker Super comps and Walker Dynomax

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/f...7567Camaro.flv
Old 01-30-2009, 03:36 AM
Alabamcam
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice ride. I too am restoring my Rust Free west coast 1967 RS/SS 4K Marina Blue/Black Camaro. I am looking for a few parts though:

Oli Pan
Timing Cover
Exhaust
BB accessary brackets
etc.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:39 AM
Alabamcam
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1138 Production SS 4K's
Old 02-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Try a dealership for the parts you need, 68`s use the same brackets. Another source would be the Classic Camaro site. There are not too many of the 1967 L78 cars left..especially with the RS option. Several years ago I bought a bunch of spare GM sheet metal parts for it anticipating availability may dry up.........
Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Looks REAL GOOD, and brings back childhood memories. I took my drivers test in my father's '67 Camaro. Too bad his was only a 6 cylinder, 3 speed on the floor.....
Old 02-04-2009, 10:19 PM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fantastic car! and unbelievably, my friend has the same L78 car.
Same color, has Blk Top also & Deluxe Interior, stick, 6,000 Redline Tach..Beautiful. Tho the 396/375 is long gone, the 454/450 LS6 looks just as good in this sleeper... It came from just north of NYC.
Best regards on your gettin' it back together!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

It`s never really been apart, separated would be a better term.. I put a L88 short block into it nearly 30 years ago and never got around to putting it`s correct L78/396 back in until last Summer. Too many other things were more important and it ran just fine with the L88 so why bother, right. But I also knew it was important to get it back to its original matching numbers condition. That done appearance wise it looks the same except for the exhaust manifolds. Since I used some big Hookers with the 88, Those I left them in with the L78 or else I would have had to bend up parts of another 2 1/2 exhaust system.

Anyway, thanks gentlemen,....
Old 02-05-2009, 01:56 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

"Ironcross", your avatar has gotten me thinking.....Back when I was a young gearhead, I used to assemble the plastic cars models with a passion. AMT was the prime company back then, and around the early '60s, when I was about 10 years old, they had a "double" kit that had enough parts that could be mixed and matched to build two complete drag cars, all in one box.

One of the cars was a "Dragmaster" dragster, that usually was built with twin Chevy small block engines. The other body/frame was a Fiat Topolino Altered. The kit came with the usual "speed part" company decals, as well as a couple of "made up" names that could be put on the cars.

One of the names on the decal sheet was "Walt's Puffer". I thought that I heard, many years later, that there actually was a drag racer named Walt, and somehow or other, he was connected to AMT. Is the car in your avatar any relation to this?
Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Yes, they were always Red. NHRA Eliminators and Class champions were recently tagged as a NHRA Historical Drag Racing Name and race cars. AMT still producers the kit. The kit was of the first "Walts Puffer" Subsequent cars were two more Fiats with chopped tops, several roadsters, both fuel and gas and a Donovan {Chrysler} powered Monza Funny. Class and World record holders. Walt Knoch was my Dad, a auto parts owner and the "Puffer" came from him smoking or puffing on cigars.

No personal connection to AMT, just fast race cars...

Last edited by Ironcross; 02-05-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

"Ironcross", that's really

I think, over the years, I bought and assembled at least two of the original AMT kits. Wish I still had them...in fact, I wish I knew what ever happened to them! My father's employer transferred him a few times over the years, and although I never threw stuff away in the trash, a lot of things were given away, as we moved from city to city.

The mention of the cigars is as interesting sidelight...I always thought the "puffers" was a reference to the superchargers.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
"Ironcross", that's really

I think, over the years, I bought and assembled at least two of the original AMT kits. Wish I still had them...in fact, I wish I knew what ever happened to them! My father's employer transferred him a few times over the years, and although I never threw stuff away in the trash, a lot of things were given away, as we moved from city to city.

The mention of the cigars is as interesting sidelight...I always thought the "puffers" was a reference to the superchargers.
That too was a strong factor and part of the name equation along with the cigars. Truthfully the "puffers" ie superchargers were probably more responsible for the name than the cigars. It`s that even today he`s remembered always with his cigars. Once the AMT kit was released the name and even the number became cemented into history and was used on every car.

PS, I still have a few of those now priceless AMT kits "unopened"

Get notified of new replies

To An Original 1967 'SS' L78 Camaro...

Quick Reply: An Original 1967 'SS' L78 Camaro...