F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

New Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:35 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greengo
They do offer ORANGE PEEL on the Corvette!
and
at no extra charge
Old 05-05-2009, 11:40 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
I don't get the same feeling about the Camaro as I do with the Corvette. They are totally different cars. I know they were "born" in the muscle car era of the 60's but even then, they were totally different cars. Why is there so much interest in the Camaro by Corvette Forum members?
Because the Camaro could just help GM and the Corvette survive. You know there are a lot of folks out there that can't afford a $50 to $60K performance car. Some of us are blessed.

If you don't think the Camaro matters maybe GM is doomed because 20 or 30K vette's manufactured yearly won't keep GM in business. That's why it's important.

I get a good laugh every time someone writes that the Camaro is a "replacement “for the vette and feel threatened. It's complementary. Or do you think it's better to give these sales to Ford and or Fiat/Chrysler?

We should all hope the Camaro is a huge success and applaud GM for bring it to market.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 AM
SnoopyCool
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with AF. The Camaro being a success is the cornerstone to GM making it through this financial crisis of theirs.

That said, I have mixed feelings about it. I like the back end of it... but the first thing I commented on were the weird little fake gills in front of the rear wheels... I'm not sure if they're there to serve a purpose, but to my untrained eye they look like they were just fake brake cooling vents. And fake vents make me sick to my brains. The interior is kinda sucky, but not so bad that it would break the deal for someone interested already. The power is nice, though, especially for the price.

But the major thing is that it's a Camaro, which (at least to me) means that it's a car that people buy for $5k and then put $5k spinners on them and a $100 subwoofer that rattles the body panels off. Or it belongs to a high school senior who will eventually run it into a flag pole. It's a generalization, but it's how I've always felt about newer Camaro's... the brand has become a classless nameplate. Maybe the new ones will be like the originals and encourage their owners to project that old school American macho-ness, but when I close my eyes at night, I dream of brand new Camaro's bouncing around in East Austin with foreign flag stickers on the back glass.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:46 AM
glacierbay2
Racer

The new Camaro looks OK, but what does the new-style mullet look like? History has proven they go together like peas and carrots.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:20 AM
vettnut69
Burning Brakes

The dealer here (CNY) is getting three two 8 cyl. and one 6 cyl.. First of the three came last week when I was there getting my C-6 inspected so had to chance to sit in it and look it over pretty good.. They are nice but if your buying one for a back seat forget it!! Stick with the Corvette... They are asking 5000 over sticker for the first one..
Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 AM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interior, particularly the dash, is the ugliest set up I've ever seen in my life. whoever designed it must have been drunk. It would be impossible for me to drive the new Camaro because of the interior.

Quick Reply: New Camaro