F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

2010 Camaro my opinion, your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:46 PM
INGER67
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
St Jude Donor '15

I like the looks of the new Camaro. I haven't driven one but I did sit in one (ha ha) and thought it was like being in a cave. All of our Camaros have been sold orders except for one we got in a dealer trade for a Corvette convertible. So far the dealership has bought back one Camaro and we have a second customer who is asking us to buy theirs back. These people ordered the cars months ago and I'm wondering if the reason they want to sell them back is financial. The first buy back owner said the seat hurt his back. Haven't heard the reason for the second one.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 PM
steemin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texastim

btw, i had NO intention of offending new camaro owners out there. i just thought that the car would have driven a bit better. maybe it does once you get it on the road. i just was glad to confirm my desire for the vette that's all.
Really?

I think that you probably pizzed off every Camaro owner on the planet
with that post. But hey everyone has their opinion.
Should make for some good replies

Scott

p.s. I do not currently own a Camaro..
Old 10-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Hemlock
Instructor

Originally Posted by CETA 256
Here is a post from a 63 year old (those extra three years of maturity help, I think). I love the new Camaro. I think it looks aggressive with just the right amount of retro for us old farts. As for the seat height issues, well, I don't understand the negative comments. I am 6' 4" and my wife is an even 5' and yet we can both sit comfortably in the car (with power seats, of course). Yes, it is a bit tight for my bulk but not uncomfortably so. Of course I would not care to sit in the backseat on a cross-country drive. The only thing I do not like about the car is the price -- at least the price here in the Kansas City area. One outfitted like we want is around 40K and I just don't think the car is worth that much money. Of course money is relative -- if you've got a lot then I suppose it doesn't matter. And to make matters worse I would like to get the Z28 which will doubtlessly cost around 50K (for the foreseable future). And to those of you who say "wait a few years and the cost will come down" I must respond, hey, I am 63, I may not have "...a few years..."

That said, I love the car and would be most happy to have one in my garage.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Monterey C6
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

My wife has a 6 cyl 6 spd and we love it. Fun to drive, it handles well and the ride is very good. I like the seats over my Vette, they seem to have more support. We bought it to use as our driver and we just love to get in it and drive.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:53 AM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let's look at the Camaro for what it is. It's own Motorhead's Icon next to the beloved Vette.
Not everyone could afford a Vette, as the pricepoint has always been significantly higher thru the years.

You can't tell me for a myriad of people, that certain era models haven't tugged at their Heartstrings upon seeing certain Camaro's over the years. I've owned several examples of each.

So ok, alot of people dislike the new one.(2010)
I felt the same way when the 1974 version came out, and also the 180HP new Z/28 version of 1977.etc. etc.

(Besides, for those of us who were in the "game" back in the day, you could get way more money runs in the wee hours of the morning in (for example) a '69 Z/28 with an LS6 454/450 bullit under the "302" hood, then you could tooling up to a "spot" with any Vette.
(As the idea of more money car must mean more motor would get you less of an opportunity to get a $$ race with a Vette..or atleast this was the notion up in the NYC area).

Yea, like the "Chevy Motor" equipped 2004-2006 GTO has any personality compared to a New Camaro?

Long live the Camaro and the idea in this day and age, of a non cookie cutter type car!

Last edited by RapidRick; 10-08-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Hemlock
Instructor

Originally Posted by RapidRick
Let's look at the Camaro for what it is. It's own Motorhead's Icon next to the beloved Vette.
Not everyone could afford a Vette, as the pricepoint has always been significantly higher thru the years.

You can't tell me for a myriad of people, that certain era models haven't tugged at their Heartstrings upon seeing certain Camaro's over the years. I've owned several examples of each.

So ok, alot of people dislike the new one.(2010)
I felt the same way when the 1974 version came out, and also the 180HP new Z/28 version of 1977.etc. etc.

(Besides, for those of us who were in the "game" back in the day, you could get way more money runs in the wee hours of the morning in (for example) a '69 Z/28 with an LS6 454/450 bullit under the "302" hood, then you could tooling up to a "spot" with any Vette.
(As the idea of more money car must mean more motor would get you less of an opportunity to get a $$ race with a Vette..or atleast this was the notion up in the NYC area).

Yea, like the "Chevy Motor" equipped 2004-2006 GTO has any personality compared to a New Camaro?

Long live the Camaro and the idea in this day and age, of a non cookie cutter type car!
Well said my articulate friend. If you were a bit older I would swear that we were seperated at birth.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:19 AM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hemlock
Well said my articulate friend. If you were a bit older I would swear that we were seperated at birth.
Sure I'm older. Just not Old.....Know what I mean?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:40 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm probably a bit prejudiced, as the first new car I ever bought was a '69 Z28, but, I cannot take the new Camaro. It's a johnny-come-lately pos that GM would have NEVER considered had Ford not come out with the reto-Mustang and Chrysler the retro-Challenger. Just like damn near everything GM copies, they're a nickle-short and a day late. I give the car 24 months.................. 'bout the same amount of time as I give GM.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:13 AM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EuroRod
I'm probably a bit prejudiced, as the first new car I ever bought was a '69 Z28, but, I cannot take the new Camaro. It's a johnny-come-lately pos that GM would have NEVER considered had Ford not come out with the reto-Mustang and Chrysler the retro-Challenger. Just like damn near everything GM copies, they're a nickle-short and a day late. I give the car 24 months.................. 'bout the same amount of time as I give GM.
Yea, but Camaro SS in base trim, it'll still Spank The Ford. (and 6 cyl 'Maro vs. Stang 6 cyl too!)

Look, your not being happy with the timing of GM is understandable.

But GM building a better mousetrap has been done now today tho longer to wait this time, as it was 2 1/2 yrs. later after the birth of the original Stang. (1967 vs. 1964 1/2)

My recollection is of 1967 396/375 L78 equipped Camaro's handily taking care of the like equipped Mustang even with 428's.

Now if you want to talk Road Course. Again Bowtie Z/28 Beat the Boss in Transam racing as well many more times than not..

Btw, As a '69 Z/28 has done for years over the same Boss 302 Ford Mustang entry in NHRA F/Stock Eliminator.

So Ford was again first to make a move. But atleast as before, the No Power Adder Camaro beats the same Ford.
Ford gets the base hit sure. But Chevy cleans up the bases.....

Hope the Z/28 makes it, to then handle those Power Adder Fords too!
Old 10-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

We love our new Camaro SS/RS, great car for the money IMO.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:33 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Default I wanted/want

one badly! Alas we needed a vehicle that would let 60 year olds out of the back seat without sending them to the Doctor later!
So, I did the next best thing. We got the G8 GT full power and old farts can get out easily. Car is actually really nice (Just wish it had a bit more oomph). Gave the G8 to wife and I took over the C6.

I'll wait and see if Z/28 arrives and re think my position.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

QUOTE=INGER67;1571712407]I like the looks of the new Camaro. I haven't driven one but I did sit in one (ha ha) and thought it was like being in a cave. All of our Camaros have been sold orders except for one we got in a dealer trade for a Corvette convertible. So far the dealership has bought back one Camaro and we have a second customer who is asking us to buy theirs back. These people ordered the cars months ago and I'm wondering if the reason they want to sell them back is financial. The first buy back owner said the seat hurt his back. Haven't heard the reason for the second one.[/QUOTE]

A buy back because the seat hurt his back? That was one pussified ****, probably couldn't handle power or payments.

I've put a lot of miles in a friend's SS and to me the seat is more comfortable than a Vette - C5 or C6. I'm 6 ft 190 lbs and it fits me like a glove with plenty of head room. That was the first thing I noticed in the very first '10 Camaro I sat in was that I loved the seat and it fit me like a glove.

Maybe the head room complaint in an earlier post was from someone sitting in one with a sunroof. With no sunroof, I can see Shaq having a tight fit, but for me it was more than plenty. My friend with the SS is also 6 ft, at least, and has been to the strip several times with his helmet without problems. (12.9's btw )

I've never had a problem seeing over the dash, nor does my friend's short wife. She knows how to use the power seat up feature.

I love how the Camaro is a modernized/retro look. You can tell it's 1st gen Camaro retro styled. But put it next to a '69 Camaro, and the modernizing styling really stands out. Put a '70 Challenger next to a '09 Challenger, and my thought is - hmm they just copied the old boat's exact body lines. And when you drive it, yup sloppy old Challenger.
When you drive a '10 Camaro, it's a tight handling, fun driving machine.

My picky complaints would be with the rear blind spots, you do a lot of neck stretching trying to back up in a Camaro. And the door sills being so high, can't really hang your arm out the window. But overall, the SS is just a bad *** fun car to drive. To me.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 PM
wilson34
Burning Brakes

The Camaro is great for what it is, it is basically the same suspension setup as the previous CTS-V with brakes just as good and able to be had for $30,000.

You get alot of car in the Camaro, huge brakes, independent suspension, great powerplant, and in my opinion a good looking car.

Yes, the interior is not for everyone but I'm more for function over form. The interior could not break my decision in purchasing a Camaro.

Yes the hood is a little hard to get used to but you eventually find the size of the car and are used to it.

The only complaint I have with the Camaro is that it is slightly sluggish in the tune. But this can be fixed easily with some hpTuners.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 AM
95cobraR
Race Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been shopping for a new car (it's a great time to buy). I found it interesting that the Camaro V-8 had a $5000 premium to MSRP while the Corvette had a $7500 discount to MSRP.

They had about 12 Corvettes on the lot and one Camaro.

The Camaro's strong point is, of course, its Corvette engine.

I think the 1967 Camaro Z/28 was the best Camaro ever made. I still want one.

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro my opinion, your opinion?