F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Anyone here with a 10th Ann. Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Kebrock
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Anyone here with a 10th Ann. Trans Am?

I got one as my 2nd car in high school, (graduated in '98) and it's been in storage since late 2000. A late night college burnout contest sorta did in the engine.

Anyways, I've finally got a house with a garage and have some cash to get her going again. Almost ready to give my guy the go ahead and start on it.

Anybody on here have one? Mine's a 4-speed, so 1 on 1817.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:18 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Kebrock
I got one as my 2nd car in high school, (graduated in '98) and it's been in storage since late 2000. A late night college burnout contest sorta did in the engine.

Anyways, I've finally got a house with a garage and have some cash to get her going again. Almost ready to give my guy the go ahead and start on it.

THAT was pretty foolish, wasn't it????

......especially considering the 4 speed cars had the genuine Pontiac engines, and were a lot rarer that the automatic cars with the Olds engines.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Kebrock
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I was 20 years old, I was surpised it didn't go sooner. Looking back, yes it was stupid.

I didn't totally grenade the engine though, it still runs. It has a rod knock once you get into the midrange of the rpm band.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 PM
schnellTTZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not possible. A rod that knocks doesnt just knock intermittently. What you hear is probably a valve. A bad rod would be undriveable and would end up through the side of the block or oil pan if you were lucky.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Kebrock
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by schnellTTZ06
That's not possible. A rod that knocks doesnt just knock intermittently. What you hear is probably a valve. A bad rod would be undriveable and would end up through the side of the block or oil pan if you were lucky.
Yeah, could be. This was all 10 years ago and I had a couple guys look at it and the consensus was it needed rebuilt, so I went with that. I got into Harleys and put the car in storage.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:58 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Exactly!

I had several Pontiacs over the years, and in my experience, they were known for lifter issues.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:24 PM
brimee
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Kebrock

Yes, sort of. My wife just got one this past spring. It is the 403 Olds/Auto with just over 46k miles

Hope your repairs go well. It will be worth more if you can keep it as original as possible. It is hard to find good condition 4spds at a reasonable price.

Here it is coming off of the truck...
Old 07-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I was 24 in 79 and spent lots of time, drooling over the TATA's at the Petaluma and Corte Madera, CA Pontiac dealers!

I've had my second owner, sold new in my town, unmolested, 79 "Y84" Bandit TA, about 10 years. I have the lifesize Burt Reynolds cardboard image, that stood next to it at the Pontiac Dealer.

Pontiac motors are also known for failed rod bearings. And they CAN be noisey, for a while, before they seporate. Stop running it and tear it down.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 PM
thedudeman321
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Untrue...Had an 84 Camaro Berlinetta (COOL car!) that had a rod knock ALL the time. Loud as hell. Put about 200 miles on it, sold it to a freind who sold it to someone else, still running. So it can be drivable.

Friend has a 1990 Supra. Knock started out as a light rapping around 2000 RPM, and slowly got louder. He continued to beat on it and the noise at and above 2000 go louder. Never made a peep below that. One day the rod bolt came flying through the pan. He drove it home, about 40 miles.

Engines don't always do what you'd expect..
Old 08-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Kebrock
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 05 SilVert
Yes, sort of. My wife just got one this past spring. It is the 403 Olds/Auto with just over 46k miles

Hope your repairs go well. It will be worth more if you can keep it as original as possible. It is hard to find good condition 4spds at a reasonable price.

Here it is coming off of the truck...
Nice looking! Yeah, Cosmetically it will be original. As for the engine rebuild, it will appear stock but might have some upgrades internally. I'm trying to remember, but I believe mine has 59k on it.

Originally Posted by Mikeceli
I was 24 in 79 and spent lots of time, drooling over the TATA's at the Petaluma and Corte Madera, CA Pontiac dealers!

I've had my second owner, sold new in my town, unmolested, 79 "Y84" Bandit TA, about 10 years. I have the lifesize Burt Reynolds cardboard image, that stood next to it at the Pontiac Dealer.

Pontiac motors are also known for failed rod bearings. And they CAN be noisey, for a while, before they seporate. Stop running it and tear it down.
Sounds nice also!

It's only been run twice since I started hearing the noise. Hell, I've only looked at it twice in the past 5 or so years. I can't wait. I'm hearing it could be two month turnaround for the heads, so that sorta sucks, but I want it done right.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone here with a 10th Ann. Trans Am?