F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

1991 Pontiac Firebird 5.0 Delco Loc II Radio Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1991 Pontiac Firebird 5.0 Delco Loc II Radio Help

Hello. I have a 1991 Pontiac Firebird convertible 5.0 tbi. It is is excellent condition, with only 1 problem...The radio doesnt work! It has the Delco Loc II radio/cd player in it, its the original radio and right no it isnt functioning properly. It put out no sound and when turned "on" and when off, it only displays 0:00 for the time and if you press any volume button it just displays volume but no change. When "set" is pressed it says set but nothing happens. The antenna, which is electric, doesnt go up when its "on". It will take a cd and eject it but like i said nothing plays. No buttons except set, volume, and power do anything, if that. The fuses are all good and It used to run fine, so im at a loss. I know about the lock mode it goes into if you disconnect the battery or anything like that, but it isnt locked. I was thinking there may be a problem behind the radio, like an internal or rearward fuse that needs to be replaced or a loose connection but i havent checked that. Any ideas are appreciated!

Will
Old 07-31-2010, 10:25 PM
87 Ragtop
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X Blind Auto-X Champ

I actually have no answers for you but it sounds like the radio is shot. I actually put in a cd player from my 99 Grand Prix in my Trans Am. Do you know if yours is factory? I know most of them from that year still had cassette
Old 08-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Originally Posted by 87 Ragtop
I actually have no answers for you but it sounds like the radio is shot. I actually put in a cd player from my 99 Grand Prix in my Trans Am. Do you know if yours is factory? I know most of them from that year still had cassette
Yeah the radio is factory, maybe ill take it out and open it up and test it...maybe ill send it to be repaired somewhere or just get a new one

Will
Old 09-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Just an update- I sent the radio to a place in pennsylvania where GM would have originally sent their radios for repair, and they said the radio had a known problem and needed very expensive parts to fix. They sent me a fully refurbished unit and it works great! The radio really sounds good.

Will

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 Pontiac Firebird 5.0 Delco Loc II Radio Help

Quick Reply: 1991 Pontiac Firebird 5.0 Delco Loc II Radio Help