F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

c6 seat in fbody with pics

Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Default c6 seat in fbody with pics

Before i get into this i just wanna put this little note in here. If your gonna post up that these seats are too expensive and that i could have gotten aftermarket seats for the same price or whatever dont post. I got these cheap and they offer much better support and comfort than any fbody seat plus the whole install cost me under 325 with the seats but anyway here it goes. the goal for this install was to leave the original mounting studs in place that way if i ever needed to reinstall the factory seats i could. Upon removing the drivers side you will realize as did I that the factory brackets will not bolt up to the vette ones for one they are about 3/4" off from the studs and the feet are about 18" center to center while the studs are 16" iirc. So start off by setting the seat in the car and hooking up the red and black wire from the vette seat harness into the floor harness of the camar onow you can adjust the seat using the switch. adjust the track where you want the seat to sit once you get that DO NOT move the track. Remove the seat from the car and unbolt the track from the frame to do this you will need to remove the cushion from the seat the instructions for this can be found on google. Once this is don i set the tracks back into the car and used 1" thick steel tubing in the front to adapt the floor bolt pattern to the seat rails and the rear uses a 3/8" steel plate as a cross brace.

If you notice above the rear of the seat has to be at an angle for it to sit correctly hence the reason for the wooden shim in the pics these were later made out of steel and welded to the plate. This is the reason a straight piece of tubing could not be used for the back like it was up front. Here is the bracket all welded up to the rails, you can see here how it adapts to the front studs with the tubing. After you have had all this welded up do one final test fit and then reinstall the track into the seat and then install into the car for a final time.

On the passenger side use the same process as the drivers side of removing the rails and cushion on this time you will be reusing the original passenger track. The reason i did this was that it wasnt to far off and the passenger flow simply has too many deviances to remake the mounting brackets. After removing the rails I used some 3/16" steel plate and extended the width of the rails in order to fit the narrower camaro tracks as seen here.

To mount the rails to these plates i spent a good deal of time getting them centered on the plates and once done there i set it all in the car on the mounting studs and made sure i liked where the seat sat and the range of motion it had I had to adjust my mounting position a couple times for this.

On this side as can be seen above I was able to get away with using all 1" tube spacers like the front of the drivers side this gave me the correct height clearance from the floor and made the rail mounting easier.

Just another shot of how the passenger tracks mounted up once i got it, like this i did one final test fit before reinstalling the cushion.

Overall the seats are very comfortable they offer much better support than any fbody seat and yet are still very cushy. they do make you sit a little higher even though i used the same floor to rail spacing as the camaro seats this is simply because the cushion is higher on the vette seats.After about 10 minutes of driving tho and some adjusting its not even noticeable tome anymore. For people sitting in the rear the leg room is even a little bit better although the seat is taller than a camaro one so the visibility from the rear is a little limited. I'm just about 6' and have no issues getting in or out so if your tall this is a non issue for you guys. Overall for the price i paid i cant complain the seats are awesome and beat the price of aftermarket seats or even trans am seats by a mile. If you all have any questions please feel free to ask leave some feedback also on what you think about the seats.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Redbird,

These seats are too expensive!! (Hah, just kidding!) Great job-they look fantastic and are a close match to the rest of the interior.

Rickman
Old 02-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by redbird555
Before i get into this i just wanna put this little note in here. If your gonna post up that these seats are too expensive and that i could have gotten aftermarket seats for the same price or whatever dont post..
Au contrare.

I invite you to go into C6 General and search seats.

Don't mean to pee on your parade but there is a reason they were cheap.

Having owned a '99 Z28 and now a '08 C6 I've been able to make a pretty good comparison.

Cliffs: There isn't a single complaint more common about C6's than poor quality seats. Paper thin leather and a lack of padding/support. But one thing you CAN do is remove the covers and add some padding in the bolster areas where you should be able to see leather-on-metal contact. The C6 seats are notorious for having metal wear through the leather, which is paper-thin.

But congrats anyway. Because C6 seat leather is inexpensive, when it wears you can usually go in the C6 parts section and find seat leather that is scuffed but reasonable priced.

All in all not a bad mod if you know what is in store and how to tweak those seats.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:09 AM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not bad at all! Iv always wanted to but GTO seats in mine,
Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Rule292
Au contrare.

I invite you to go into C6 General and search seats.

Don't mean to pee on your parade but there is a reason they were cheap.

Having owned a '99 Z28 and now a '08 C6 I've been able to make a pretty good comparison.

Cliffs: There isn't a single complaint more common about C6's than poor quality seats. Paper thin leather and a lack of padding/support. But one thing you CAN do is remove the covers and add some padding in the bolster areas where you should be able to see leather-on-metal contact. The C6 seats are notorious for having metal wear through the leather, which is paper-thin.

But congrats anyway. Because C6 seat leather is inexpensive, when it wears you can usually go in the C6 parts section and find seat leather that is scuffed but reasonable priced.

All in all not a bad mod if you know what is in store and how to tweak those seats.
when i say expensive i meant that for 500-600 bucks a typical price for the seats one could buy a set of aftermarket seats with better support. and that is what most fbody guys harp about with corvette seat swaps. I'm sure gm could have done a better job with the seats in the flagship car but compared to a stock fbody vinyl seat these things may as well come from a mclaren.

Get notified of new replies

To c6 seat in fbody with pics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c6 seat in fbody with pics