F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

New Camaro ZL1 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:53 PM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Would not call it slow but probably not as quick as the hp would indicate. Saw a 600 hp SLP Camaro run a best of 11.8 in cool dense air in early spring with an experienced driver behind the wheel. I would hope that a C6 Z06 could easily best that time with an equally experienced driver.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:08 AM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motogib1
Would not call it slow but probably not as quick as the hp would indicate. Saw a 600 hp SLP Camaro run a best of 11.8 in cool dense air in early spring with an experienced driver behind the wheel. I would hope that a C6 Z06 could easily best that time with an equally experienced driver.
I think 11.8 is very fast. That's about the average 1/4 mile time for a Z06 with an additional 700lbs. Give or take.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Ettev01
We're not trashing it because it's a fast car! We're trashing it because GM car or not, it an overweight, overstyled, brick on wheels!
It's a 'muscle car', one built by Chevrolet no less -- and at a time when PC nonsense in the auto industry's run amok. That's the issue for me.

Sunday I'm cruising the middle of no where in the country. Come up on the rear of a caravan of Dodges. 3 Challenger SRT8s & a newer model Viper (I presume) 2nd from the front.

Followed these guys for a while, when they turned onto a different road they'd all stand on it. I did too. Sounded fabulous. No racing, just very spirited accelertions to do a little showing off. Although I had to be careful not to rear-end the trailing Challenger, it was a blast.

At some point they all went straight while I turned to drive the Kettle Moraine's "Hog's Back". So who do I come to going in the opposite direction? Yea, the Challengers minus the Viper.

They all gave me a very enthusiastic wave which I returned. Real "Car guys". Follow?

Originally Posted by Ettev01
Most of us Corvette guys are smart enough to know the difference!
While some can't or refuse see the forest through the trees. Had I been stalled/in trouble those DODGE guys would've stopped to lend assistance, as I would've any of them. It's about Americans together enjoying the truly American tradition of motoring.

That's why IMO it's good to see Camaro in any iteration or any other manufacter's musclecar offering for that matter, while it lasts.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times

+ don't compare a 2007 lap time when Nurb wasn't even Chevy's concern.. If you want to compare do apples to apples '12 vs '12. Neither were perfect runs and both done around the same time with a goal of setting new standards in mind.

7:22.68 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 (2012) Jim Mero
7:41.27 Camaro ZL1 (2012) Aaron Link

Perfect comparison on why I don't like Nurb times.. Look what a driver difference can do... 15 seconds in a race like this is a very big gap..
7:26.4 Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 (2009) Jim Mero
7:41.5 Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 (2009) Sascha Bert

Then his own time bested by another 7 seconds
7:19.6 Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 (2012) Jim Mero[/QUOTE]
Old 10-11-2011, 12:22 PM
TD-Machines
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

It's very ugly, I'll take a slow good looking C6 Z06 any day over that pig.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

I don't understand why everyone is trying to compare this Camaro to their precious Corvettes. Relax people, the Camaro is not aimed at the Corvette, it is aimed at the Shelby GT-500. In case no one noticed, Ford does not have a sports car in their entire line-up to compete with the Corvette. They have a muscle car, and thats exactly what the Camaro is.... a MUSCLE CAR. They have always been overweight with lots of power that are great at going in a straight line and making a lot of noise. I think the new Camaro qualifies. They were never made to carve corners although the ZL1 did mighty well at the "ring". And I believe that time was accomplished on GY run crap tires.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Draven
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by NJLS708
The ZL1 has already bested the first Z06 "ring" time. How's that for slow?
Wasn't the first Z06 ring time done from a standstill whereas everyone now does a rolling start?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:01 AM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Draven
Wasn't the first Z06 ring time done from a standstill whereas everyone now does a rolling start?
Yes it was, still no small accomplishment.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:13 PM
1320b4you
Instructor

While some can't or refuse see the forest through the trees. Had I been stalled/in trouble those DODGE guys would've stopped to lend assistance, as I would've any of them. It's about Americans together enjoying the truly American tradition of motoring.

That's why IMO it's good to see Camaro in any iteration or any other manufacter's musclecar offering for that matter, while it lasts. [/QUOTE]

Such a true statement man! I'm just happy the muscle car wars of the 60's returned b/c i for one wasn't around back then. You know what weighs 3100lbs nowadays? a kia or wet corolla..all new cars are 3k pounds or heavier..its just a sign of the times w/10 airbags, 8 cupholders, thicker and bigger seats for our obesity problems and multiple electronics so we know when our tires get low on pressure or ipod needs a charge. I for one will have a new camaro 1 day and it'll probably replace the vette. Yes, you cannot compare the 2 b/c one has a trunk and backseat and its aimed at the blue oval 'stang and all they have to offer. Put me at the helm of gm and i'll bring back the chevelle and nova too..and won't make the mistake of making them 4door like the chargers or newer impala's

Quick Reply: New Camaro ZL1 Convertible