F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Improving the new Camaro design

Old 08-17-2017, 11:29 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Improving the new Camaro design

If you could list recommendations or wants, knowing GM is on this board what would you ask for?

1) lower the windows sills, overall profile of the car
2)offer an option for a straight axle, high hp NA motor 6 spd close ratio trans, manual air good Bose, base no frills package that was high on bang/buck. Get some of the electronic fluff options out of it. Priced at something the working guy could still afford. Sorry but 40k plus isnt cheap
3)offer a real performance rear axle ratio. Heck my Silverado came with a 3.73 posi.

3) redesign that goofy dash
4) if possible eliminate the DOD bs.

5) do something with the strange hood shape..the car is too tall, wide needs a smaller overall profile but get that coke bottle shape..rear is going the way of teh C5-6 a big tall wall of plastic.
6) make sure tall guys fit..its for this one reason I have a hard time buying another any yr vette.
7) make a true forced air hood

The mustang and challengers look in proportion, GM can do this why havent they? Kids designing rather than old timers?
There are enough renderings out there that look so much better
If they got it right Id consider selling my 67 Abody and stepping forward in tech.

IT doesnt get any better than this??? Bring back some old colors, too.
Summit white is an improvement....tripoli turqoise, marina blue maybe an updated met gold you get the idea
Saw a newer one the other day, blue/white striped. Caught the eye but the stripes were hideous
Fold down rear seat..stuff Camaro lovers froth at the mouth over

Last edited by cv67; 08-17-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Fix Doug's door gaps.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:09 PM
wu6fiend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My central issue with the new design of the Camaro (and also to a somewhat lesser extent with the 5th Gen) is the proportion of the windows versus the body. Make the windows 10-15% larger. Currently, the windows are too small, making the body seem slab sided. Plus, I really dislike the front end (the super narrow upper grill, the hugely oversized lower grill). Add that the two weird "bumps" on the rear bumper/valance. Overall, the design is really displeasing to the eyes, which fits with most modern designs (really ugly, IMO).
Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 PM
SmokinBlack
Team Owner

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
6) make sure tall guys fit..its for this one reason I have a hard time buying another any yr vette.
And make sure that there is enough room between the door and the center console for someone over 100# to fit comfortably.

On edit: It seems like this is an issue across the GM line. I drove a new Silverado crew cab a couple of weeks back and if I have the seat far enough back to sit a normal distance from the wheel, my left shoulder hits the B pillar. I had to drive leaning slightly right the entire time.

Last edited by SmokinBlack; 08-21-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:23 PM
68ACADIAN
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Stop making it!! It's fugly anyways......... My 2 cent.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:52 AM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

I've always felt that the LS1 F-body design was one of the most striking designs for the Camaro. Remember how you'd see photo after photo from proud owners posted on websites? The car just looked awesome and from any angle.

I also loved the extremely long doors and how low the car sat. You felt like you were sitting on the ground.

GM: Get away from the "sharp edges" or "wedge" look. Maybe, go back to rounded, smoothed out shapes that are more pleasing to the eye.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Get rid of this design and move to 2nd gen 70' camaro. Don't know why they don't ever move along.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:13 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

The new Camaros look like they have a "chopped top", even though they don't. The proportions are wrong. And the "sharp edged" grill isn't all that attractive, either. Although I've been a GM guy most of my life, if I was in the market for a new car, I'd be giving a Mustang a long, hard look.

All the car magazines that have reviewed the Camaro and Mustang, agree that the Camaro is the better PERFORMING car, but the Mustang is the better LOOKING car. I feel the same way. And while I like the look of the Challenger, I think that it, too, has the "chopped top" look.....
Old 09-19-2017, 07:17 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

1. Reposition seat mounted seat belt thing so it doesn't jab you in the hip/*** every time you get in.

2. Enlarge back window.

3. Enlarge side view mirrors.

4. Enlarge trunk opening.

i realize what the overall purpose of the car is and the demographic but dam.... work on the basic ergonomics/functionality.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:21 PM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

It needs a little more headroom in the back seat.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:14 PM
FirebirdStrip
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The funny part is that the corvette looks so aggressive and cool looking but the camaro.... Well...

It is better than the 4th gen, which I consider to be the ugliest of all-time.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:21 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Now that the next gen corvette is moving to a rear mid engine design...follow up on the basic design premise of the second generation and have the camaro rival the best of Ferrari designers..

At the time I remember the second gen camaro was heralded as one of the most exotic looking vehicles ever made.

The split bumper was a striking design.

I am not saying copy the design in anyway but rather leave the safety of the sixth gens retro theme and design a vehicle that is sleek and contemporary..

Ford is doing just that with the slight upgrades to the mustang gt this coming here. Slowly but surely Ford is moving towards the Evos concept they showed before the recent model upgrade we have had for a few years now.

The sixth gen soft sales are not so much the price but rather the close design the 6th gen has to the wildly sales success of the 5 th gen design.

GM played it safe with the sixth gen. Technically it's an absolute amazing machine. Stylistically? I think the restyle was too conservative in nature. To stay close to the 5 th gen design is normal business practice considering how successful the 5th gen was...

Still sales are soft and if GM wants to motivate 5 th gen buyers to open their wallets and also if GM wants to introduce camaro to new buyers altogether....it's time for a drastic shift away from the retro design(which I happen to think is nice although I never want to own one)

I personally owned in the mid 1970s a worked 350 firebird convertible. Great car but that whole stretched hood thing where the front sightline to the road was so advanced...it was cool on the interstate but not so great in auto x like events...

I prefer Aston martins db11 convertible styling...as Ford is moving In The direction to for the mustang gt...(not overtly but in design language and presence)

All just shooting the breeze and just an opinion...

I do believe GM has the best performing vehicles at a hell of a value...

I think GM needs to once the corvette moves rear mid engine...let the camaro turn into a sleek 2 plus 2 coupe like what we are seeing from the Ferrari portifino...

Slap a LT1 and LT4 derived powertrains and watch the camaro slay the front engine ferraris in so many ways...(on the track )
Old 11-01-2017, 02:44 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Camaros look like they have a "chopped top", even though they don't
THIS!!
Looked at one in person today while at a Drs appt you nailed it

The car looks like its a larger scale something....flat tall sides like a truck
Want to like them but cant and am a die hard Camaro nut
Old 11-01-2017, 10:37 PM
LSRX
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like my 2017 Camaro! The only thing I dislike is that the fuel fill is on the passenger side. It could use slightly larger windows.

Otherwise, I think it's a great car. Chassis is great, auto-transmission is responsive.

It's a fun car to drive.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:48 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by LSRX
I really like my 2017 Camaro! The only thing I dislike is that the fuel fill is on the passenger side. It could use slightly larger windows.

Otherwise, I think it's a great car. Chassis is great, auto-transmission is responsive.

It's a fun car to drive.
No question the 6 th gen is an awesome car...it's just not enough different from the fifth gen to motivate as many 5 th gen owners to upgrade.

In the automotive industry that's the name of the game...

Looks wise the 6 th gen is awesome..same for performance...

But to increase sales...I think a more revolutionary design cerise the safer evolutionary design might motivate more people to buy them...

Enjoy your awesome ride..
Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 PM
TACTrZO6
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSRX

It's a fun car to drive.
LOL.. Just bought a ZL1 and it is FOCKING AWESOME!!!!

Negative Nancys are funny...
Old 11-27-2017, 11:02 PM
TACTrZO6
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
No question the 6 th gen is an awesome car...it's just not enough different from the fifth gen to motivate as many 5 th gen owners to upgrade.

In the automotive industry that's the name of the game...

Looks wise the 6 th gen is awesome..same for performance...

But to increase sales...I think a more revolutionary design cerise the safer evolutionary design might motivate more people to buy them...

Enjoy your awesome ride..
ALPHA chassis is a BIG difference

Get notified of new replies

To Improving the new Camaro design

Old 11-28-2017, 01:20 AM
LSRX
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TACTrZO6
LOL.. Just bought a ZL1 and it is FOCKING AWESOME!!!!

Negative Nancys are funny...
I actually thought my post was very positive and more like constructive criticism. Not negative at all. I REALLY like the car and think GM did a great job.

There were a lot of other more negative posts than mine in this thread for sure. Nothing in this world is perfect and there is always room for improvement.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:04 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
If you could list recommendations or wants, knowing GM is on this board what would you ask for?
Make it an identical copy of the '68 Camero.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:04 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

that would get my attention
Just curious to others opinions
Like what the car does just cant get over its size..and proportions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Improving the new Camaro design