F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Looking at 02 Z28 with Twitchy Oil Pressure Gauge..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:54 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Looking at 02 Z28 with Twitchy Oil Pressure Gauge..

Looking at a 02 Z28 with a twitchy oil pressure gauge.. I know these cars are known for failing oil pressure sending units that often result in wacky gauge readings. Car runs great, has 137k on it but very little lifter tick and no knocking.

With the car in park if you rev to 2-3.5k the oil pressure gauge twitches a bit but move up as the rpms climb. If you turn the car off, the gauge does not fall to zero like all the others but stays at 20-30 range. When you start up it comes to life and sits right around 40... My question is, is there anywhere I can get a mechanical gauge on the car to get the real pressure BESIDES the sending unit location?
Old 04-11-2018, 11:45 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I've been dailying my '02 T/A for a few months now. Just turned over 90k. A few months back I freaked out a little since I noticed my stock guage wandering a bit at idle. As you've read these cars had issues with the stock senders. As far as I know the only place you can add an aftermarket guage would be down above the oil filter(adapter) or behind the intake manifold. Mine has the stock exhaust manifolds on so I can't get the adapter to fit with the stock exhaust since the cats are in the way. Luckily mines been running great so I'm just gonna wait til I install longtubes.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:13 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RiceBurnerZ07
My question is, is there anywhere I can get a mechanical gauge on the car to get the real pressure BESIDES the sending unit location?
Originally Posted by slow_zo6
I've been dailying my '02 T/A for a few months now. Just turned over 90k. A few months back I freaked out a little since I noticed my stock guage wandering a bit at idle. As you've read these cars had issues with the stock senders. As far as I know the only place you can add an aftermarket guage would be down above the oil filter(adapter) or behind the intake manifold. Mine has the stock exhaust manifolds on so I can't get the adapter to fit with the stock exhaust since the cats are in the way. Luckily mines been running great so I'm just gonna wait til I install longtubes.
I am using a permanent pillar arm mechanical oil pressure gauge to monitor the engine oil pressure. The readings are a tad off from the factory gauge reading but it's always good to know that you have oil pressure when the factory sending unit is failing.

http://shbox.com/1/aux_oil_port.jpg

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at 02 Z28 with Twitchy Oil Pressure Gauge..

Quick Reply: Looking at 02 Z28 with Twitchy Oil Pressure Gauge..