F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Am I Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 08:35 PM
JohnRogers
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Am I Crazy?

So I'm getting close to finally pulling the trigger on an 82 CE Vette. Yet I keep thinking about a nice solid, driver quality T-top 86 IROC. I know I'd save a few thousand bucks but is an 86 IROC in the same fun league as an 82 CE? Am I crazy for even asking?
Old 03-27-2018, 08:56 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Here's my take on it, since I've had experience with both C-3 Corvettes, as well as 3rd generation F-bodies. First of all, I'd have to say that the most important consideration is the condition of the car that you're looking at. The C-3s have frame and "birdcage" rust issues, highly determined by where the car was owned/driven. Frames can be replaced, but it's costly, and for that matter, so can rusted out birdcages, but they're REALLY expensive and complicated to repair/replace.

The Camaro can have rust issues, too, but the evidence is usually obvious, so it's easier to spot, and potentially walk away from. The down side to the Camaro's T-tops, is water leakage and rattles. That car is a unit body, so removing half the roof decreases structural integrity.

The Corvette's brakes are noteworthy, but in a car that old, the calipers will need to be rebuilt/resleeved, unless the car you find already has had them done. Interior pieces, especially the dash panel, may be in questionable shape, but are readily available, and for that matter, the same could be said for the Camaro.

If smog regulations aren't an issue where you live, and you're looking to "hop-up" either of them, the Corvette might be easier to do, since there's more room underneath for a performance exhaust.

This should be enough for a start.....
Old 03-27-2018, 07:38 PM
JohnRogers
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Here's my take on it, since I've had experience with both C-3 Corvettes, as well as 3rd generation F-bodies. First of all, I'd have to say that the most important consideration is the condition of the car that you're looking at. The C-3s have frame and "birdcage" rust issues, highly determined by where the car was owned/driven. Frames can be replaced, but it's costly, and for that matter, so can rusted out birdcages, but they're REALLY expensive and complicated to repair/replace.

The Camaro can have rust issues, too, but the evidence is usually obvious, so it's easier to spot, and potentially walk away from. The down side to the Camaro's T-tops, is water leakage and rattles. That car is a unit body, so removing half the roof decreases structural integrity.

The Corvette's brakes are noteworthy, but in a car that old, the calipers will need to be rebuilt/resleeved, unless the car you find already has had them done. Interior pieces, especially the dash panel, may be in questionable shape, but are readily available, and for that matter, the same could be said for the Camaro.

If smog regulations aren't an issue where you live, and you're looking to "hop-up" either of them, the Corvette might be easier to do, since there's more room underneath for a performance exhaust.

This should be enough for a start.....
Thanks for the well thought out reply. I had a good phone conversation today. I'm going for a drive tomorrow and I believe I'm buying a C3.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:49 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JohnRogers
Thanks for the well thought out reply. I had a good phone conversation today. I'm going for a drive tomorrow and I believe I'm buying a C3.
It might make the seller of the Vette a little nervous, but before committing any money to the deal, get the interior kick panels off, and look inside that space, at the lower legs of the birdcage. If there's more that a little surface rust, tread lightly. You are looking at a 36 year old car......
Old 07-19-2018, 04:19 PM
Just1More
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
It might make the seller of the Vette a little nervous, but before committing any money to the deal, get the interior kick panels off, and look inside that space, at the lower legs of the birdcage. If there's more that a little surface rust, tread lightly. You are looking at a 36 year old car......
I've looked at a few C3's and have found that if the seller won't let you pull a kick panel... RUN. Some sellers even have it off or loose ready for you to look..
Old 07-24-2018, 05:16 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Drive both, the Iroc is a hell of a lot of fun off the line and corners well.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:00 AM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

I went thru something similar and ended up with a 1997 Corvette but looking back I'd have been happy with either one. Best I can say is where does it fit with your other car
​​​​​​​(or cars). Good luck
Old 10-20-2018, 08:37 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

This discussion is now 7 months old....I wonder what, if anything, the OP did.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I Crazy?

Quick Reply: Am I Crazy?