F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Talking to GM about my broken Camaro engine.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 11:48 PM
Zealot
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Talking to GM about my broken Camaro engine.

Hi Guys,

So my 2013 Camaro has a damaged lifter in the #4 cylinder. The dealership took it apart and apparently there is also damage to the cam. It was sold in Oct. (27th?) of 2012, so it is just out of warranty time-wise, although it only has 88,000 and change on the odometer. My service writer contacted GM and said he expected they would help out on the $4k cost of repair, but was told it was entirely on me. Does anyone have any experience talking to GM? Is there a possibility I may be able to appeal?

My 2008 Tahoe just kicked the bucket so I bought a 2018 Silverado just shy of a month ago, I'm upside-down on the Camaro (still owe $13,775) and we are one income (wife is going to school for another 2 years). I could really use a break on the repair.

Thanks,
Z
Old 04-21-2018, 03:02 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Personally, I think that you're facing an uphill battle, with a 5 year old car, with over 80,000 miles on it. However, in the back of your owners manual, there should be a couple of tool-free numbers, for GM zone offices. I would start there.

Has the dealer given you any indication of what caused the problem? Was it an obviously defective part? Do you have maintenance records showing that the oil was changed at regular intervals?

If a lifter went bad, it possibly could mean two things. One, some debris got into the oil, was picked up by the roller on the lifter, then ground into the lobe of the cam. This would be remedied by a new lifter and camshaft. Or, something in the lifter bore went astray, allowing the lifter body to rotate in it's bore, which would destroy the lobe on the camshaft.

Either scenario would require replacement of at least one lifter, as well as the camshaft. It's a bit of a job, but I find $4000 a bit steep for the job. Have they told you that any other parts are damaged? What engine is in the Camaro?

For that matter, at $4000, I would think that you could get a low mileage, used, or completely rebuilt engine installed.....
Old 04-22-2018, 06:00 AM
Zealot
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Personally, I think that you're facing an uphill battle, with a 5 year old car, with over 80,000 miles on it. However, in the back of your owners manual, there should be a couple of tool-free numbers, for GM zone offices. I would start there.

Has the dealer given you any indication of what caused the problem? Was it an obviously defective part? Do you have maintenance records showing that the oil was changed at regular intervals?

If a lifter went bad, it possibly could mean two things. One, some debris got into the oil, was picked up by the roller on the lifter, then ground into the lobe of the cam. This would be remedied by a new lifter and camshaft. Or, something in the lifter bore went astray, allowing the lifter body to rotate in it's bore, which would destroy the lobe on the camshaft.

Either scenario would require replacement of at least one lifter, as well as the camshaft. It's a bit of a job, but I find $4000 a bit steep for the job. Have they told you that any other parts are damaged? What engine is in the Camaro?

For that matter, at $4000, I would think that you could get a low mileage, used, or completely rebuilt engine installed.....
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't usually keep maintenance records, but I do change the oil every 3k miles. It does have a 5/100,000 powertrain though. I'm about 6 months past the five years, but still below the 100,000mi so I was just hoping. Its a 1SS, so it has the 6.2L V-8. They haven't told me what if anything cause the damage, just that it was to both the lifter and the cam. Its my daily driver, so I have to get it fixed soon, otherwise I would try it myself. Anyway, thanks again.

Regards,
Z

Last edited by Zealot; 04-22-2018 at 06:01 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Talking to GM about my broken Camaro engine.

Quick Reply: Talking to GM about my broken Camaro engine.