F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Comments for Phoenix'97 on the TPI LT1 concept.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
I never once said to stroke the damn thing... I explained why you lose fuel economy in the winter and then just showed you my log for my DD... it's a straight 6 engine. I meant it as I log my fuel economy too. My log goes back about 4 years...

Now the 383 in the work truck gets 10mpg no matter what as did the 350 and so does the 6.0l ls in the Sierra. But you're talking 6k and 7.5k weighted vehicles respectively. Never once brought them up here.

If you want lower friction just replace all the bearings with needle bearings. Boom.
There are several concepts I am looking at in terms of trying to improve upon my LT1 as much as possible with newer technology, race inspired technology such as those lower friction parts or having the engine coated, which they are now doing for factory cars from what I read. The ignition system will be upgraded to the LS1 style coil over plug system and will require an LS1 PCM swap for my LT1. I am not sure if any additional tuning abilities will come from having this PCM and the ignition system but I imagine the system alone is an improvement over my opti-"unreliable"-spark system.

Next we dive into the camshaft. What Brian suggested seems like it will fit the bill. I have contemplated what my gains would be if I were to use 1.6 RRs with a stock LT1 B-body camshaft, but I run the risk of increasing overlap, from what I read. So, this is why I need a camshaft specific to the build. Brian gave me a good formula to follow and I trust it. I am not expecting massive amounts of torque, but I do want a noticeable improvement over my stock LT1 which will help keep my fuel economy at it's factory EPA rating or possibly improve it with conservative driving. I am sure a good dynotune will work wonders, I have to do it anyways!

Honestly, what are your suggestions given my wants? I don't want to change out the rear gear ratio, it must stay factory. I have no desire to stroke the engine and to use a supercharger, I start seeing possible problems for winter driving conditions. So pretty much I am left with a very mild build but a pricey one given the things I want to have done... To me, it will be worth it.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 05-17-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comments for Phoenix'97 on the TPI LT1 concept.