Notices
F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

New to me WS6

Old 11-17-2018, 12:14 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Clean WS6 with tasteful mods and quality parts.

I've owned my 99 SS for over 18 years. Also have UMI suspension, and a H/C SBE LS1 and M6. If you ever decide to change the exhaust setup, the Kooks TD system is the way to go....worth every penny.

Congrats again on a great buy, keep posting those mod pictures and videos!
Man, you're one long time owner of that SS... Very rarely do you hear of someone owning one for more than a few years haha. I think the WS6 is going to stick around... They are pretty special cars, and I don't think they will ever really go "down" in value.

I'll have to look into the Kooks TD setup. Does it exit out of the back of the car? I had a Texas Speed and Performance TD setup on my last 98' Z28 and it was deafening in the car. I wouldn't like it now that I'm a few years older lol.

I saw that Speed engineering offers a really affordable TD setup, but everything I've read over on LS1tech makes it sound like it's obnoxiously loud. Same thing with the new TSP TD setup that goes out the back of the car.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:16 AM
NW-99SS
CF Senior Member

Yeah, my SS became to under-valued to ever sell, and as time went on, too clean and too many memories to ever let go of. It will be in my family until it dies.

Kooks exits out the back. It is a loud exhaust without their high-flow CATS, which is my next mod - I went off-road pipes on my system and should have went with the Cats from the start. I still love the sound, here is a little clip from a long time ago when I first put it on (skip to 1:45):

You can get dual tips or single like mine. My headers are stepped 1 3/4" - 1 7/8".
Old 11-24-2018, 02:11 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

I watched it on my phone and had to come back with some decent speakers to tell how it sounds haha. Sounds rowdy! It does seem like it would be loud in person though. I'd really like to tone my car down a little bit... Must be getting older lol.

I'll have to shop around and find something that sounds good without being too obnoxious. There's a million systems and combinations out there.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:12 AM
NW-99SS
CF Senior Member

I haven't installed the CATs on my car yet, once those are in place, it will mellow out a lot more and not be too loud (for me at least, lol).
Old 11-28-2018, 08:43 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Haha, hopefully that does it. I like an aggressive exhaust note, as long as it's not obnoxious. It's a fine line to walk.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:57 AM
NW-99SS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
Haha, hopefully that does it. I like an aggressive exhaust note, as long as it's not obnoxious. It's a fine line to walk.
Very true!
Old 12-17-2018, 07:09 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Long update here, so hang on to your hat lol. I like reading posts like this, so I thought I'd make one.

Here is a link to exactly what I purchased after speaking to Matt @ MWC over the course of a few days. The customer service was excellent, and the product showed up at my house within just a couple of business days. Nothing to complain about so far! Link to Product - Choose options CAREFULLY

Each bumper support replaces the factory crash bars, and each one is approximately 17-18lbs lighter than the factory part. I would give a solid estimate of shaving 35-36lbs all told with the bumpers and associated hardware replaced.

Here is a video of the process. It will give some better resolution on the installation process if you are curious.

I installed them onto my 2000 Pontiac Trans Am for reference. I have done this once before, but it took approximately 3 hours to do. The pace I was working at was "relaxed", as I didn't want to damage and of the body work because the car is in pretty good shape.

When I removed the factory rear crash bar it came in right at 19.4lbs on my scale.

Here is a view of the rear bumper support fully installed on the car with the provided hardware. It is zinc coated if I recall (if you care to know). The rear bumper support fit very well, and the slotted holes allowed for some variation in car build. It bolted right up to my car no issue.

Drivers Side for reference

Passengers side

When I reinstalled the rear bumper cover, it fit as it should. You will find that the new bumper support fits very tight to the factory bumper cover. Some people have reported it as being tight to the point of not fitting very well, and if your car has been in an accident, or something isn't quite "square" I could see that being problematic. That being said, mine fit perfect, and I have no complaints.

Moving onto the front of the car, here's a picture of the factory steel/foam crash bar that is to be removed. I weighted it on my scale, and it came in right at 20lbs. Another good place to save significant weight!

Thank god that hideous thing is hidden behind the bumper haha

The front crash bar comes off much easier than the rear. The reason for this is where the mounting hardware is located (have fun getting the top four bolts off of the rear crash bar.... haha)

Here it is all mounted, again with the provided hardware which you will need.

One more photo for reference. I apologize for the dark lighting... Can't have it too harsh when you are drinking beer on a winter evening lol.

Notice the fog lights. The new tubular bumper support has slotted holes that the factory lights/brackets align with very well. There is no hardware provided for mounting these to the new support. Not a big deal, just be prepared to have four nuts, bolts, and lock washers/nylock nuts to fasten them in the end. Very easy to deal with if you are comfortable with doing this job in the first place. I found that the fog lights fit perfect in the bumper cover, and more or less centered themselves when I installed them

Top view for reference. LOTS more room, and shaved some considerable weight off of the very front end of the car. Perfect.

All that's left at this point, is to reinstall the bumper cover and associated parts beneath it. Should have it wrapped up in 20-30 minutes at this point!

When I had the front bumper reinstalled, I found that the front drivers "corner" was solid against the bumper support. I was a little bit worried about the alignment with the fender, but did manage to close the gap if you can use your imagination. I've read that the "tight clearance" is somewhat common, and I could support that thought. I'm curious if there will be any issues with the paint after driving it in the spring. It's TIGHT against it, so take that for what it's worth.

Here is a little pile of left over hardware after the install. Looks about standard.... right? haha.

My take away, is that I would highly recommend these parts to people that are beyond the point of basic bolt ons and are looking to save some weight with some seriously cool pieces of hardware. IT's a shame that you can't see them when you are all done, because they sure look nice. It's a couple beer install.

Last edited by bjohn; 12-19-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:47 PM
Supercharged111
CF Senior Member

I agree with you 100% on the rear end. The engine/trans/driveshaft are all pretty good from the factory lol. Add a sticky tire and goodbye rear! I'm going to try and make this one last, but what's the fun in that??? Next step is going to be adding Midwest Chassis front/rear bumper supports to offset the added weight of the SFC/LCARB's, and maybe even come in lighter than it was without them. We will have to see!! I'll be doing that and seeing what it makes on an chassis dyno. Stay tuned!!!!! It's coming sooner than later.
Ya know I've heard a lot of bad about the 7.5 in the 4th gen and also that the C5 rear diff isn't all that. I've even had issues myself in a half ton with the 8.5, but I'll be damned if people just aren't blowing them up in my race class, myself included. We run 275/40/17 Toyo RR tires, regularly do standing starts, and they seem to do just fine. There is a catch, we only run 260-267 whp and 310-317 wtq, but we run the cars WOT for ~25-40 minutes straight and all T56s.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:45 AM
NW-99SS
CF Senior Member

Nice work on the bumper supports and great info - I may look into this for weight savings in the future!

Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
Ya know I've heard a lot of bad about the 7.5 in the 4th gen and also that the C5 rear diff isn't all that. I've even had issues myself in a half ton with the 8.5, but I'll be damned if people just aren't blowing them up in my race class, myself included. We run 275/40/17 Toyo RR tires, regularly do standing starts, and they seem to do just fine. There is a catch, we only run 260-267 whp and 310-317 wtq, but we run the cars WOT for ~25-40 minutes straight and all T56s.
The rear diff's aren't bad on street or road course tires - it's when they get shock loaded with a slick when launching that the axle tubes on the 7.5 flex and take out the ring gear. The auto guys have better success drag racing since the shock load is less severe than the manual trans.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:25 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Nice work on the bumper supports and great info - I may look into this for weight savings in the future!

The rear diff's aren't bad on street or road course tires - it's when they get shock loaded with a slick when launching that the axle tubes on the 7.5 flex and take out the ring gear. The auto guys have better success drag racing since the shock load is less severe than the manual trans.
That is exactly the school of thought I have on the 7.5" rear end^^^. I'm very nervous to take it drag racing as things are currently setup. The car has a lot more power, a more aggressive clutch and a serious tire (315 MT Drag Radial) on it right now. In my head it is begging to explode it's guts out and leave me stranded 2.5hrs from home. Bear in mind I don't have a great truck, and a car trailer to get it there so I'm left to driving it there and home after haha. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Personally, I've done the 1/4 mile thing many times and it's fun and all. However, it's nothing like road racing/autocross... I'm hooked on that, so that's the direction I'd like to steer this "ship" lol.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:59 AM
NW-99SS
CF Senior Member

That is exactly the school of thought I have on the 7.5" rear end^^^. I'm very nervous to take it drag racing as things are currently setup. The car has a lot more power, a more aggressive clutch and a serious tire (315 MT Drag Radial) on it right now. In my head it is begging to explode it's guts out and leave me stranded 2.5hrs from home. Bear in mind I don't have a great truck, and a car trailer to get it there so I'm left to driving it there and home after haha. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Personally, I've done the 1/4 mile thing many times and it's fun and all. However, it's nothing like road racing/autocross... I'm hooked on that, so that's the direction I'd like to steer this "ship" lol.
My Camaro has Wilwood brakes and a host of UMI suspension parts. It's made to handle - though nowhere near the level my GS is at, lol! I like my cars to have a good balance of power, handling and acceleration. If I do get more into drag racing, it will be with a dedicated chassis, not a hacked up street car.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:42 AM
slow_zo6
CF Senior Member

Man, you're one long time owner of that SS... Very rarely do you hear of someone owning one for more than a few years haha. I think the WS6 is going to stick around... They are pretty special cars, and I don't think they will ever really go "down" in value.

I'll have to look into the Kooks TD setup. Does it exit out of the back of the car? I had a Texas Speed and Performance TD setup on my last 98' Z28 and it was deafening in the car. I wouldn't like it now that I'm a few years older lol.

I saw that Speed engineering offers a really affordable TD setup, but everything I've read over on LS1tech makes it sound like it's obnoxiously loud. Same thing with the new TSP TD setup that goes out the back of the car.

Just finished installing my SE dumped setup and it really isnít that much louder that the SLP loudmouth I had before. Clearance on the other hand 😳
when I get the chance I need to work on mine-pulled into a gas station and the fill ports in the ground ripped mine off.

Last edited by slow_zo6; 12-21-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:51 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by slow_zo6 View Post
Just finished installing my SE dumped setup and it really isnít that much louder that the SLP loudmouth I had before. Clearance on the other hand 😳
when I get the chance I need to work on mine-pulled into a gas station and the fill ports in the ground ripped mine off.
Oh god, that is possible the most horrific sound on the planet. I ripped one of my TSP true dual mufflers off one time driving down my old alley.

Quick update on the WS6 -

I got a battery tender roughed into the car that was previously on my C6 while it was parked (I've since sold the C6..)

I tossed a couple of crimp in alligator clips to connect the tender directly to the battery for now. It was resting at 11.8xVDC since last working on the car, and I really didn't want it to discharge in the wintertime here and freeze.

(Cringey, I know...^^^) I have every intent on actually installing the battery tender harness into the car for a more "factory" appearing look in the end.

I finished up the installation of the MWC rear bumper support with these little guys. If you read my last post, it outlines the holes that the body darts go into being larger than the OEM bumper support. These darts fit perfect. Note the size difference on the factory dart, next to the replacement one below.

Next up on the WS6 is the brakes. The rear passengers side is totally delaminating and rusting.... Yikes. Any input on brake kits? I'd like to do pads and rotors all around, but would definitely consider replacing the calipers as well if there is a palatable option out there. I had been watching another YouTube channel, and a guy installed a "one click brake kit". Really interested in what he found there.

That'll give you nightmares^^

Old 12-27-2018, 12:26 PM
Supercharged111
CF Senior Member

Stock rear calipers have plenty of stopping power even for road racing. We either upgrade to Corvette twin piston sliders with 13" rotors, Wilwood 4 pots, or a Stoptech 4 pot kit specially designed for our class that fits in with the cost restraints with floating 2 piece rotors up front. Some folks run stock style pads out back with upgraded front brakes. The back is not a good place to increase braking power, it'll only lead to axle hop.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:55 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

I see what you mean about not wanting up "upgrade" the rears. I also don't want to over brake the front wheels. While watching another YouTube channel, I saw a guy used this kit and was really intrigued.
Power Stop Kit (CLICK ME) Power Stop Kit (CLICK ME)

What do you make of it?

There's about 10,000 different brake pad and rotors out there, so picking the right "pair" for a good upgrade against stock stuff isn't exactly straight forward.

I don't know how I would like red against the factory pewter paint. That's my big hang up.

Last edited by bjohn; 12-29-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:42 PM
Supercharged111
CF Senior Member

Don't see rotor dimensions, looks like lipstick on a pig IMO. Ceramic pads too, those aren't performance oriented. What do you really want from the brakes? You can buy brackets that will let you run 13" rotors. I also know you can get caliper brackets to allow you to run CTSV brakes. I'd go that route long before the package you posted.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:07 PM
xWS6guy
CF Member

As you may pick up on from my handle, I'm a former Trans Am guy as well. Here's my last one that went down the road earlier this year to make room for the Vette. 2000 WS6 6-spd. Sold it with 56k miles. After owning it for 8 years and 25k miles of my own, sold it for $3k less than I bought it for. Seems like a fair deal.

Last edited by xWS6guy; 12-29-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:17 PM
xWS6guy
CF Member

As to the OP's car, you're lucky to have a clean sail panel - almost everyone I've seen on the 4th gens had the bubbling. My car looked pretty good for 20 year old paint, but the sail panel had bubbles everywhere. I wasn't willing to rip it off and replace it myself, and it was pricey to pay to have it done. I also had some spiderwebbing in the paint on the front nose, but you had to look close to see it. Like you, I had to replace my water pump, but that was after years....not a few days. Generally speaking, a low problem car. I hope you're as lucky.

Love seeing these cars - keep posting!
Old 01-01-2019, 12:22 AM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
Don't see rotor dimensions, looks like lipstick on a pig IMO. Ceramic pads too, those aren't performance oriented. What do you really want from the brakes? You can buy brackets that will let you run 13" rotors. I also know you can get caliper brackets to allow you to run CTSV brakes. I'd go that route long before the package you posted.
It will see street use for the most part. There's a chance it will see a yearly rack day at a 3.2 mile road course in Northern MN, which would incline me to lean more towards the CTSV brake upgrade you mentioned. That being said, the CTSV package has a much greater initial cost than any pad/rotor combination you could buy that are of a "stock size". I'm curious if there's a good pad and rotor combination to suit my needs. Not that the CTSV upgrade isn't a good option, it's just fairly costly.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:26 AM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by xWS6guy View Post
As you may pick up on from my handle, I'm a former Trans Am guy as well. Here's my last one that went down the road earlier this year to make room for the Vette. 2000 WS6 6-spd. Sold it with 56k miles. After owning it for 8 years and 25k miles of my own, sold it for $3k less than I bought it for. Seems like a fair deal.
You're probably right on it being a fair deal. Looks like a nice car though.. I'm sure you miss it a little bit? haha. I would!

Originally Posted by xWS6guy View Post
As to the OP's car, you're lucky to have a clean sail panel - almost everyone I've seen on the 4th gens had the bubbling. My car looked pretty good for 20 year old paint, but the sail panel had bubbles everywhere. I wasn't willing to rip it off and replace it myself, and it was pricey to pay to have it done. I also had some spiderwebbing in the paint on the front nose, but you had to look close to see it. Like you, I had to replace my water pump, but that was after years....not a few days. Generally speaking, a low problem car. I hope you're as lucky.

Love seeing these cars - keep posting!
I couldn't believe it was perfect when I looked at it and couldn't have been happier. The car wasn't "cheap", but was properly priced for the area it was being sold in with all things considered, so I jumped on it. Total dream car, and I hope it is fairly reliable from here out haha!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me WS6

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: