F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

New to me WS6

Old 04-25-2019, 08:46 AM
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

It's a 99 block so it is able to be worked a bit. A well built 346 or even a moderately priced 383 will blow a stock LS7 into the weeds. Or sleeve it and build a 42X+ motor.

I would NOT put a stock LS1 into an LS7 car. lol But in my mind I thought you were going to look at a C5Z. Not sure why.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 04-25-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:46 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

It's all good haha, even the holy LS1 wouldn't belong in a C6Z! I"m sure one will come along. Until then, I'm looking around for a set of 243 cylidner heads and an LS6 intake manifold for the Trans Am. I'm thinking the tune that's in it is REALLY safe, as it was only road tuned when originally done.

It should be making over 400WHP as it sits, which is very reasonable and common for the cam and supporting mods on the car. Should really sail past that number with a tune and who knows what with good heads and an ported LS6.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:56 AM
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member

I can't remember where you're located but down here in FL heads seem to be readily available. If you're having them ported a set of LS1 heads will do pretty much everything the 243s will.

Because of your thread I keep looking at Ram Air TA's every day. Which then a C4 ZR1 pops up in an ad and I look for them, then an ad for C5 Z's and I look at them. It's like being in a gentleman club and pretty ladies just keep walking by and I forget the one before. lol

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 04-26-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:38 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
I can't remember where you're located but down here in FL heads seem to be readily available. If you're having them ported a set of LS1 heads will do pretty much everything the 243s will.

Because of your thread I keep looking at Ram Air TA's every day. Which then a C4 ZR1 pops up in an ad and I look for them, then an ad for C5 Z's and I look at them. It's like being in a gentleman club and pretty ladies just keep walking by and I forget the one before. lol
I'm in Northern Minnesota. I would likely end up having the heads shipped to me/wherever I was going to have them rebuild/ported if I bought them online from someone. You better pick a track and stick to it!! haha. I'm partial to the Ram Air TA's and the C5Z's. Always had an odd affinity for those C5's, although never owned one..... Maybe someday?

I ended up getting a bench vise and installing a bench grinder I had lying around finally. They were put to good use, and made a really solid battery hold down strap. The battery in this car, (and a 98 Z28 I previously owned) are apparently undersized, and the factory wedge that's meant to hold the battery in the tray did absolutely nothing. Anyone have some insight? I did the same thing to the last car with this issue. I'm sure a couple others I've owned over the years had the same problem, I just didn't notice.

Anyways, it turned out pretty good for a few hours and a Menards DIY.

Here is the raw 2" aluminum bent to shape with the ends rounded before drilling the holes to utilize the factory hardware.

Painted/installed. I really wish I used a dead blow or something that wouldn't have marked up the aluminum when heating and bending it in the vice. Doh. FYI - I did stick on a 2" strip of the "soft" side of velcro on the inside/battery side of the bracket I made so it's not rubbing on the battery.

Paint color used is "WA382E" - This color matches the exterior of the car much better than the engine bay.

Other than that, I do have a Hayes power steering/transmission type cooler and a non-ps cooler upper radiator hose coming to do the power steering cooler delete on my car. Looking forward to it!

Old 05-05-2019, 01:02 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

I installed some of the popular Amazon 4.5" LED Fog Lights this weekend. Luckily. I was able to modify the stock fog light brackets like most other people have done. I did do something a little different, and bend the top tab of the foglight brackets down, to brace the top of the new LED lights, and keep them oriented properly. For $39.99, I really can't complain. They are a TON better than the factory candles. If you are thinking of replacing bulbs in the stock housings, I might recommend that you reconsider and get these like a lot of other people have. At night they are a big difference. Not only are they better, but they are plug and play once you get them mounted in your housings.

I also replaced both front turn signal housing sockets, and added some nice Sylvania replacement LED lights.... Turned out good.

Before... Had one bulb burnt out.

Profile view of the modified/repainted factory fog light bracket with the new LED light installed....

Installed on the Midwest Chassis front bumper support. Better views/angles with the cover installed in the video I posted. They turned out nice!
Old 05-05-2019, 02:08 PM
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member

Wow that's bright! Looks good.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:22 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

They are surprisingly bright and seemingly well made for the price. It's a huge upgrade over the factory candles haha!

This weekend I finally fixed my leaky power steering cooler (external leak/no coolant and PS fluid mixing) with a Hayden PN: 402 transmission cooler. It has 3/8" fittings and enough line in the kit to do the whole install without using any barbed fittings or special trips to the parts/hardware store. I tested the the factory PS cooler, then the Hayden cooler under the same driving conditions on the same day and found around 30-40* temperature drops with the Hayden unit. If you drive your car hard, I would expect the results to be even more dramatic.

For $29.99 you'd be silly not to do this install.

Mounted behind my air dam like everyone else. After looking around, it really is the most opportune spot to mount it without making brackets/extending both lines etc.

Here's some information regarding the temperature difference. The "1/2 Drive" distance was just under 12 miles, and quite a few hard figure 8's in a parking lot. Driving home was normal.

Last edited by bjohn; 05-08-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:34 PM
Supercharged111
CF Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
They are surprisingly bright and seemingly well made for the price. It's a huge upgrade over the factory candles haha!

This weekend I finally fixed my leaky power steering cooler (external leak/no coolant and PS fluid mixing) with a Hayden PN: 402 transmission cooler. It has 3/8" fittings and enough line in the kit to do the whole install without using any barbed fittings or special trips to the parts/hardware store. I tested the the factory PS cooler, then the Hayden cooler under the same driving conditions on the same day and found around 30-40* temperature drops with the Hayden unit. If you drive your car hard, I would expect the results to be even more dramatic.

For $29.99 you'd be silly not to do this install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUje06R6-88

Mounted behind my air dam like everyone else. After looking around, it really is the most opportune spot to mount it without making brackets/extending both lines etc.
Surprising it does so much being mounted like that. I'd sooner zip tie it to the back of the radiator myself.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:48 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

To be honest I was surprised it did as much as it did being mounted behind the air dam. If that thing ever leaks or I notice I'm having temp issues when I get it out to a track, I will definitely be moving it. It won't take long to but a length of 3/8" line and put it in the best spot possible.

Ideally a guy could put it in the "air scoop" area below the radiator being the bumper.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:23 PM
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member

My stocker was bypassed already with an aftermarket unit. Plan to upgrade though.

This looks great.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:44 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

My stocker was bypassed already with an aftermarket unit. Plan to upgrade though.

This looks great.
I can see doing it on your car, especially with a legit motor being in it. Talk about project creep! Haha. If this cooler ever fails, I'm sure I'll totally revisit the whole idea and do it really well.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:21 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Took a few photos the other night of the new lights. The pictures/video before didn't really do them justice.

This weekend I finally got the Trans Am to a racing event, had an awesome time and it performed flawlessly! This was after a very long drive, and LONG ways from home with no trailer haha. Sometimes you have to live dangerously.

I'll also be uploading a full length video of the event itself. Should turnout pretty good by looking over what I filmed. Teaser below!

Last edited by bjohn; 05-12-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:35 PM
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member

The car sounds, looks, and runs great.

What's next on the list? lol
Old 05-22-2019, 09:28 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

The car sounds, looks, and runs great.

What's next on the list? lol
I did have a LS6 manifold show up the other day, so that is in the works! Need to source a set of 243's that are affordable to ship out for porting. Would really like to work around the existing cam, with relatively affordable parts.

For anyone interested, here is the full video from the Siren Nationals 2019! Lots of drag racing in it. I had an awesome chance to stand wherever I needed to get the shots.

Otherwise, I switched to a set of NGK TR6 plugs, gapped them to .40 and noticed immediately that the exhaust was noticeably quieter. At low rpm, the bucking is near non existent at any throttle position. It takes off from a stop without needing nearly as much rpm or clutch riding.

Now I don't need to give it nearly as much throttle to get rolling from a stop, pulls a lot smoother and like I said. The exhaust is audibly quieter. Wtf? The raspyness is probably 50% better as well. Never had a result like that from changing plugs. Any idea why the car would quiet down so dramatically? I guess I'm just looking for answers here. Would have never guessed these plugs would be so much better.

Not the first time I've replaced plugs, just don't get it. Are the E3's that bad?

In addition to that, the car got a wix fuel filter and some fresh transmission fluid in the T56.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:39 PM
Supercharged111
CF Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

799s will work too, they came on a shitload of 5.3 pickup motors. The L33 and anything GenIV will have what you want. I'd never run an E3, they look dumb and as you found out suck. I had some redneck at the strip swear they made his bone stock truck breathe fire so I stopped talking to him. They're snake oil, expensive snake oil.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:42 AM
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member

I havent looked at LS6/2/799 heads in a while. What's a set go for? I would have them freshened up with new valves/springs....etc Would they really be much cheaper after being g ported than some aftermarket versions?

Car is looking great. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-23-2019, 06:14 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
799s will work too, they came on a shitload of 5.3 pickup motors. The L33 and anything GenIV will have what you want. I'd never run an E3, they look dumb and as you found out suck. I had some redneck at the strip swear they made his bone stock truck breathe fire so I stopped talking to him. They're snake oil, expensive snake oil.
Good point on looking for a set of 799's. I always forget that a lot of people run those on their setups. As far as the plugs go, I didn't buy them and damn sure won't now. I didn't realize that they were the root of so many problems with the car and driveability. It was really amazing.

That being said, if they really do make the car breathe fire I'm putting them in. (kidding).

I havent looked at LS6/2/799 heads in a while. What's a set go for? I would have them freshened up with new valves/springs....etc Would they really be much cheaper after being g ported than some aftermarket versions?

Car is looking great. Keep up the good work!
I would think the cost would be pretty comparable at the end of the day with a set of gm heads being worked over next to a set of new aftermarket heads. Could be wrong?
Old 05-23-2019, 07:47 PM
TLS_Addict
CF Senior Member

I am so far out on LS1 heads I couldn't say. Probably $1,800???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me WS6

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: