Notices
F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

New to me WS6

Old 06-24-2018, 11:03 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Default New to me WS6

Just got back into a fourth gen a few days ago. It's a 2000 Trans Am WS6. BTR Stage 4 cam and bolt ons... Six speed car into a stock 10 bolt. Luckily it already has all the UMI rear suspension goodies and Bilstein shocks all the way around. Always wanted one, and love this thing to death!! Idle clips in the video below

Yes, I still have the C6 and it's not going anywhere! lol.

Last edited by bjohn; 07-08-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:30 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

So! Whether or not anyone is interested, I see the thread has some views so I thought I'd continue it as things progress with the WS6. Here goes!

Hope this is the best spot to put this! Long time F-Body owner, first time WS6 owner. Couldn't be happier in the car!! It's a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 (obviously). M6/10 Bolt car. The purchase went pretty well and it's a clean car (out of state import to MN) so I'm really happy overall with it.

So far the modifications it had when I purchased it are:

Engine:
-Brian Tooley Racing Stage 4 Cam/Supporting Mods
-Lightweight flywheel/aftermarket clutch (No idea what brands. I know....)
-Underdrive Crank Pulley
-SLP Lid
-Catch Can
-Speed Engineering Longtubes/Y-Pipe
-Borla Catback

Suspension
-Lowering Springs
-Bilstein Shocks
-UMI Adjustable LCA's
-UMI Adjustable PHB

Here's a clip and some photos in the immediate couple of days following the purchase.

Stopped at a local car show

When I bought the car, the PO had "deleted" the read seats. Luckily all of the hardware was present and I reinstalled it ASAP lol. Too boy-racerish for me.

Changed the differential fluid and oil/filter. I found out it does need a water pump (what are the odds of it going bad 5 days after buying it and NOT beating on the thing.

I used Lucas Oils Synthetic 75W90 in the Differential/Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30 in the engine.

Coated the differential with some rubberized undercoating to keep it clean

Old 06-29-2018, 10:39 PM
DanMan35
CF Senior Member

This was a car I really wanted back in the day. I like the looks from the front and the rear (and who doesn't love that hood) although I have always thought these cars looked weird from a side angle. Regardless, cool car that you rarely see on the roads anymore.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:51 PM
RIKKI Z-06
CF Senior Member

Nice find, I too always thought these WS6's were the cat's a$$. Enjoy.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:17 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DanMan35 View Post
This was a car I really wanted back in the day. I like the looks from the front and the rear (and who doesn't love that hood) although I have always thought these cars looked weird from a side angle. Regardless, cool car that you rarely see on the roads anymore.
You know, it's funny that you say this because privately i've had the exact same thoughts. They look killer from the front and back, but the side makes them look odd hahaha. I've got a couple of pictures on my phone I took before purchasing it that make it look extremely awkward.

Originally Posted by RIKKI Z-06 View Post
Nice find, I too always thought these WS6's were the cat's a$$. Enjoy.
Thank you!! I have always thought the same thing. I really can't believe that I actually own one. Still pinching myself

Quick update on the car!!

Today I dove into the "non-working" AC in the car. The previous owner told me that the AC had been drained and never refilled after the cam installation which was partially true. I found there to be no belt (I saw this before purchase), and that there was minimal R134 in the AC system upon further inspection. I bought the OEM size belt which turned out to be too large with the underdrive crank pulley. A second stop to the parts store rendered two other four rib belts in the 39.96" (Duralast 400K4) and 38.98" (Duralast 390K4) lengths. The factory one is right around 41" if I recall.... The shorter of the two I brought home was perfect (390K4).

Unfortunately, I need to get an AC recharge kit to make it fully functional. Yes I know, old man!!! haha. The cost/benefit of having AC is a no brainer to me. Why would you rather have swamp *** in exchange for 1HP gained.....

Belt installed:

I also installed two LED reverse lights. They aren't HID's, but really update the look of the car overall. LED lighting verses halogen bulbs goes a long ways on older cars in my opinion. They are standard parts store Sylvania 4057 direct replacement bulbs....

Here's the 50/50 shot

Both replaced

Old 07-01-2018, 10:02 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

So! I got the A/C fixed today. Everything looking nice and frosty under the hood, and the air is blowing frigidly cold.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:11 PM
RIKKI Z-06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
So! I got the A/C fixed today. Everything looking nice and frosty under the hood, and the air is blowing frigidly cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jc5ZbsW3SE
enjoy!
Old 07-01-2018, 10:22 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RIKKI Z-06 View Post
enjoy!
Oh I will!!! haha. I was dying on the way home in the car. Couldn't be happier that this is fixed.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:11 PM
wu6fiend
CF Senior Member

Nice looking car, and I like what you are doing with it (fixing the AC, LED backups, replacing the backseat). It's also great that the former owner did not do anything drastic (ie. that cannot be undone relatively easily and inexpensively) to it. Too many of these cars wind up with their interior plastics painted bright colours, and all sorts of JC Whitney-type garbage hung all over them. I've owned my TA Firehawk since 2001, and have no intention of ever selling it (even if it gets driven only about 5-7 days per year).
Old 07-02-2018, 08:32 PM
C5 Hardtop
CF Senior Member

Sounds good. How much power is it putting down?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:32 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by wu6fiend View Post
Nice looking car, and I like what you are doing with it (fixing the AC, LED backups, replacing the backseat). It's also great that the former owner did not do anything drastic (ie. that cannot be undone relatively easily and inexpensively) to it. Too many of these cars wind up with their interior plastics painted bright colours, and all sorts of JC Whitney-type garbage hung all over them. I've owned my TA Firehawk since 2001, and have no intention of ever selling it (even if it gets driven only about 5-7 days per year).
You're telling me! haha. I'll follow suit and not do anything to irreversibly alter the car as it sits. I feel that these will hold value really well, and hopefully even continue to climb! You wouldn't believe how many F-Bodies I've bought with RED painted interior trim parts. They look totally heinous like that.

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop View Post
Sounds good. How much power is it putting down?
It should be making around 400HP with the big cam and supporting mods.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:09 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

I found out some more about the car from who owned it "two people ago", and the dyno tuner confirmed some things about it. Should be making around 400-410WHP.
-Chromemoly 7.400" Pushrods/BTR Valvetrain
-He thinks it has "Ported heads"
-The Longtubes are Speed Engineering 1-7/8" size into an offroad Y-Pipe
-Bilstein shocks are "b6pro" models that he sent out for custom valving
-Tick Master Cylinder
-Ram Slave Cylinder
-Gripforce Stage 2 Clutch (510HP/498TQ capable per the MFG website)
-The T56 is "built" out of another 2000 Trans AM

Here's a few pics I snagged from the PO's Facebook account. Super nice guy, and was extremely open about everything he did to the car. He said he sold it to who I bought it from for $200 more than I bought it for. They were both equally pained to sell it, and I don't blame them. It's a solid car at a good price!!

Cam/supporting mods being installed here

Trans being pulled after 4th gear went out here....

SO! Back to what's new with the car as of yesterday. I was in a local parade with a car group and it was really fun! A ton of people showed up for it and lots of people loved it. Was a really fun time!

In the next video, I'll be installing the replacement water pump, finishing the rear LED lighting, and doing the free ram air "FRA" mod to the lower air box. I may or may not do the transmission fluid too, as it's allegedly a pretty recently rebuilt/built unit and I'm not entirely sure it's worth it as of now haha. In the meantime I'll be uploading a video of the Vette tonight! Lot's done on that in preparation for a track day and dyno tuning session I've scheduled! I also find out if there's any smoke left in the tires hahaha!

Last edited by bjohn; 07-04-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:29 AM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

So, to start off I can't believe how positive the response has been on the YouTube channel with the WS6. I've never had so many people subscribe and show real interest in any car til this one! It's awesome, so thank you to everyone for the support here and on other social media platforms. It really puts wind in a guy's sails when things go well!! YouTube Channel (C6/WS6 Build Thread)

I even got lucky enough to have a couple friends stop by and check out the new car! (C3 and a C5 owners)

Today I took delivery of my new Gates water pump. I got halfway done tonight after work doing a leisurely installation. I only stopped because I put a little dab of RTV on the new water pump's gaskets so it can set up overnight and I won't have to fight with getting the alignment perfect when mounting the pump on the block.

Everything off of the front of the engine....

Block cleaned and ready for the new pump. I'll have it in first thing tomorrow...

Tomorrow I'll do the FRA mod as well. I've second guessed doing the rest of the LED installation in the rear of the car til I can put some more thought into it. I didn't "realize" it can cause issues with the cruise control (third brake light...) as well as the turn signals blinking wildly. Now that I researched it and put a little thought into it, the turn signal issue is obvious but I didn't know about the cruise malfunction.

More to come tomorrow!!

Last edited by bjohn; 07-08-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:16 PM
maxgood
CF Senior Member

Nice solid car!

Had to laugh about the seats, folded mine down in 2002 and they havent been raised since. My 93 Trans Am seats were only raised once!!

Thanks for the info about the backup lamp replacements.

My 2002 Trans Am 6 speed, not a Ram Air., I kind of like the side view.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:17 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by maxgood View Post
Nice solid car!

Had to laugh about the seats, folded mine down in 2002 and they havent been raised since. My 93 Trans Am seats were only raised once!!

Thanks for the info about the backup lamp replacements.

My 2002 Trans Am 6 speed, not a Ram Air., I kind of like the side view.
You have a good looking car there, that's for sure. I've always been partial to the rear quarter view like you have shown. Really good looking cars!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did finish the water pump installation today. Everything went perfect!

Here's everything all installed...

Aaaaaand the installation video!

Last edited by bjohn; 07-08-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:22 PM
NmtMev
CF Senior Member

hey OP! Nice car!

I know this may sound a little strange but that's my dream car in black of of course with the 6M! I really want one but I haven't found one in excellent stock condition yet (meaning at least paint and interior not asking for the world here!) . i have a c7 but its not the same. That T/A has sentimental value to me. I'll keep looking!
Old 07-10-2018, 12:27 AM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by NmtMev View Post
hey OP! Nice car!

I know this may sound a little strange but that's my dream car in black of of course with the 6M! I really want one but I haven't found one in excellent stock condition yet (meaning at least paint and interior not asking for the world here!) . i have a c7 but its not the same. That T/A has sentimental value to me. I'll keep looking!
Not strange at all haha! You know what's funny about you saying that the T/A has sentimental value to you... I can echo that big time. I grew up in third and fourth gen camaros. The WS6 has ALWAYS been my "hero" car all these years having the "lesser" versions of it. I love this car to death, and it's not going anywhere.

The C6 might get replaced one day with a C7Z when the prices get a little more palatable, but until then I'm one happy (and lucky) guy.

Keep looking!! They are out there!!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:35 PM
bjohn
CF Senior Member

Quick update! Since installing the water pump everything has been bone dry and the AC is still working perfect. I ordered some parts from UMI who were totally awesome to work with. They should be at my house in the coming days, and we will kick off the first round of modifications!!! Can't wait!!!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:37 PM
mardyn
CF Senior Member

Nice find... I've been looking at a few WS6s when the pop up around here (DFW) and haven't found the right one yet.
Most I've seen have been used and abused.

Looks like you've found a nice one... love the aftermarket stuff on the rear suspension.

Will the Ten bolt be sufficient with all that rear tire?

mardyn
Old 07-21-2018, 06:49 PM
wu6fiend
CF Senior Member

I'm curious about the wheels you've got on that WS6, specifically the size of the back ones. Fronts look like the standard 17" X 9" with 275/40/17, but the backs appear larger. I put a set of AR Torque Thrust M's on my Firehawk, but all of them are 9" width. I really like the deeper lip on the back ones you have. What brand are your wheels, and what size rears are you running?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me WS6

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: