F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Why are LT1 Fbodies SO cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:17 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by LayZ
They are cheap because they haven't hit that market point yet. Also LT1's are not that special, any worth collecting would be the models right before they switched over to the LS1 or the LS was an option,and had the LT4 motor. So for collection purposes they are not going to be worth anything. as a Hot rod thou... you can make that LT1 into a LT4 fairly easy and take on a LS1 motor without issue. I've been looking for a L98 for awhile now but they seem to have been all crushed. I have a hell of an intake for that motor just itching to get put on and ran. I'm guessing I could use it on other blocks as long as it's similar to the L98.

I still remember when the same thing was said about the C3 Corvette
Old 08-08-2018, 09:20 AM
Lee C
Team Owner

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE
I still remember when the same thing was said about the C3 Corvette
Disco C3 maybe 68-72 never
Old 08-08-2018, 09:28 AM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Maybe because they are 22-25 years old. I never thought they were ugly but u had to get a color and wheels u like I nearly bought one 5 years ago when I found a beat up good running C5 for a similar price
Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Lee C
Disco C3 maybe 68-72 never

Take a look at the prices of a disco C3 in good condition.....you just never know
Old 08-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Lee C
Team Owner

Take a look at the prices of a disco C3 in good condition.....you just never know
I had a few also 2 71's that I loved
Old 08-08-2018, 09:55 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Being a former owner of a '92 LT1 I can speculate it has to do with both the optispark ignition system (especially '92) but mostly the lack of tuning options. You have to flash the prom and it made tuning my supercharged engine...well....near impossible.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:55 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Lee C
I had a few also 2 71's that I loved

Some of those C3's were beasts! I'd love to have an old school LT-1
Old 08-08-2018, 09:58 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vvv90
Being a former owner of a '92 LT1 I can speculate it has to do with both the optispark ignition system (especially '92) but mostly the lack of tuning options. You have to flash the prom and it made tuning my supercharged engine...well....near impossible.

The LS platform is so much easier to make power with
Old 08-08-2018, 09:58 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

25 year old cars. That's why.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:08 AM
CurtP
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Most are beat to hell
Its an LT1
Motor has to com out the bottom

Do like the front & rear ends...not much from the 90s is worth anything. Even a super nice C4 is only a couple grand.
Motor can come out the top and it isn't terribly difficult to do so.

But to add to the list:

Rear ends made from glass
Terrible brakes
Extremely shitty build quality (a GM tradition)
1995 was an oddball with an OBDII connector, but was still OBD1 (except California cars)
Problematic T-tops (leaky, had a tendency to fly away when the plastic handle stripped)
Gas gauge not linear
Old 08-08-2018, 10:09 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2
Except use a 400 block some good heads and a solid roller...dress it up as a 350.
Had a 70 Z28 with ported heads the 140 cam and extrude honed the stock intake..even with stock manifolds it ran pretty strong. It was my one and only DD.
Shame so many are afraid to drive them today, no reason not to!! Never let me down, never did anythign except change oil and lash valves 1x a yr.
A carbed car is just reliable as anything else, most dont know how to tune one thats all.

Last edited by cv67; 08-08-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:25 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Because the only reason to buy one is if you are too broke to buy an LS1 car, and those are cheap, making the LT1 car pretty worthless.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:27 AM
Lee C
Team Owner

I had a 71 LT-1 it was a beast in it's time
Old 08-08-2018, 10:28 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by War Eagle ZO6
I remember I got Denise a new 94 Trans Am LT1. That car was fun... it was ugly as ****, but it was fun
did you guys have matching mullets?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:31 AM
Lee C
Team Owner

Originally Posted by themonk
did you guys have matching mullets?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:39 AM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by Murray Anderson
I would and did take a 96 Z over a C4 anyday.

Don't you have an online dating app to fill out?

No need for a dating app anymore
Old 08-08-2018, 10:45 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I own one, have owned it since new in 93. I'd love to restore it and it's the only reason I've kept it. But it's a daunting project and even with a new engine in it, I am not thrilled with the idea of tuning on a OBD1 SD car with no programmability of the PCM. I admit, I've not looked into that very much though. It may be simpler than I give credit for.

I hate the ignition systems. People berate the Optispark, and that's fine, it is a pos design. But they forget about the ignition module carried over from the HEI days that was an even bigger pos. When failing, it turns the exhaust system into an incendiary bomb, and it does so with no warning, and no diagnostic aids in finding it. (for those who are not familiar with the symptoms). Switching of high energy had been long abandoned by any sane engineers, but of course, GM was late to the party.

Then there IS the opti, with its ridiculous 5" diameter codewheel and oversized optical pickup. One that was sealed to begin with so that it fogged inside and had no vent whatsoever (later addressed, but not really). And, it was also offered a pathway to leakage from the crankcase so you not only had condensation, but could easily add oil to the mix. A wonderful design for an optical system. And this was all at a time when optical encoders were readily available in small sizes, and could have been located such that access to oil from the timing cover would not have been possible. A positively brain dead design.

The LS platform is so much easier to make power with
And way, way easier to tune. It also tends to learn on it's own as the engine ages, where the OBD1 system of the LT1, only learns how to fuel improperly as engine wear occurs. LTFT's are a pita on an LT1 without aftermarket controls.

Get notified of new replies

To Why are LT1 Fbodies SO cheap?

Old 08-08-2018, 10:48 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I own one, have owned it since new in 93. I'd love to restore it and it's the only reason I've kept it. But it's a daunting project and even with a new engine in it, I am not thrilled with the idea of tuning on a OBD1 SD car with no programmability of the PCM. I admit, I've not looked into that very much though. It may be simpler than I give credit for.

I hate the ignition systems. People berate the Optispark, and that's fine, it is a pos design. But they forget about the ignition module carried over from the HEI days that was an even bigger pos. When failing, it turns the exhaust system into an incendiary bomb, and it does so with no warning, and no diagnostic aids in finding it. (for those who are not familiar with the symptoms). Switching of high energy had been long abandoned by any sane engineers, but of course, GM was late to the party.

Then there IS the opti, with its ridiculous 5" diameter codewheel and oversized optical pickup. One that was sealed to begin with so that it fogged inside and had no vent whatsoever (later addressed, but not really). And, it was also offered a pathway to leakage from the crankcase so you not only had condensation, but could easily add oil to the mix. A wonderful design for an optical system. And this was all at a time when optical encoders were readily available in small sizes, and could have been located such that access to oil from the timing cover would not have been possible. A positively brain dead design.

And way, way easier to tune. It also tends to learn on it's own as the engine ages, where the OBD1 system of the LT1, only learns how to fuel improperly as engine wear occurs. LTFT's are a pita on an LT1 without aftermarket controls.

One of the reasons that I went with a '96 LT1 with an OBD2......diagnostics are so much easier even
Old 08-08-2018, 11:15 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
It may be simpler than I give credit for.
No, it's much harder than you can imagine unless you get a proven head/cam combo with a proven flash but even then there's climate and altitude differences. Just forget the idea and go with an aftermarket injection system. It will pay for itself in both time, money and frustration.

I forgot about that issue. Let's not forget failing rear manifold gasket that leaks oil all over the expensive dual mass flywheel that can't be resurfaced. God I could go an and on about that piece of **** design.

Then there IS the opti, with its ridiculous 5" diameter codewheel and oversized optical pickup. One that was sealed to begin with so that it fogged inside and had no vent whatsoever (later addressed, but not really). And, it was also offered a pathway to leakage from the crankcase so you not only had condensation, but could easily add oil to the mix.
Oh yeah, the shitty cam driven water pump seal on mine failed and broke the second Optispark I had vented. Sucked coolant right up into it.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:37 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vvv90
Oh yeah, the shitty cam driven water pump seal on mine failed and broke the second Optispark I had vented. Sucked coolant right up into it.

Installed correctly, that seal should never fail if fairly new

Quick Reply: Why are LT1 Fbodies SO cheap?