Notices
F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Why are LT1 Fbodies SO cheap?

 
Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 AM
  #1  
Fast81
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Fast81's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Location: dayton oh
Posts: 2,697
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Default Why are LT1 Fbodies SO cheap?

Have always liked the 4th gen Camaros and been watching them recently on CList. It seems the LT1 models 93-97 go dirt cheap compared to LT1 C4s in the same condition and half price to their LS1 successors 98-02.
Fast81 is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 AM
  #2  
001pewter
CF Senior Member
 
001pewter's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,127
Thanked 116 Times in 89 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18
Default

Because lt1
001pewter is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 07:55 AM
  #3  
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Valencia Ca.
Posts: 67,551
Thanked 1,074 Times in 986 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
Default

Most are beat to hell
Its an LT1
Motor has to com out the bottom

Do like the front & rear ends...not much from the 90s is worth anything. Even a super nice C4 is only a couple grand.
cuisinartvette is online now  
Old 08-08-2018, 08:03 AM
  #4  
kupitz
CF Senior Member
 
kupitz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: New Providence Pennsylvania
Posts: 198
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default

ROYAL PITA to work on! Need to be a yoga instructor to reach the rear cylinder spark plugs...seems 3/4 of the motor is under the dash.
kupitz is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 08:22 AM
  #5  
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Valencia Ca.
Posts: 67,551
Thanked 1,074 Times in 986 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
Default

Good point! Was in the market for a 97-02 SS but once I Saw half the motor under the dash went and bought a C4. Those were cheaper than the Camaros!
A nice mustang GT costs pennies, too.
cuisinartvette is online now  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:00 AM
  #6  
jim2527
CF Senior Member
 
jim2527's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 15,462
Thanked 158 Times in 138 Posts
Default

A lot of them out there and a hassle to work on. I'll take a Gen 3 over a Gen 4.....
jim2527 is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:01 AM
  #7  
War Eagle ZO6
Loser Sr.
 
War Eagle ZO6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 1999
Location: Forum LEADER Moderator Reject
Posts: 45,721
Thanked 105 Times in 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14, '16-'17
Default

I remember I got Denise a new 94 Trans Am LT1. That car was fun... it was ugly as ****, but it was fun
War Eagle ZO6 is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:06 AM
  #8  
Badger97
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Location: WI
Posts: 3,942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Good point! Was in the market for a 97-02 SS but once I Saw half the motor under the dash went and bought a C4. Those were cheaper than the Camaros!
A nice mustang GT costs pennies, too.
Decent GTs Iíve seen are going up fast.

Thr Camarillo was just too ugly.

A trans am, now those look better
Badger97 is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:09 AM
  #9  
Murray Anderson
CF Senior Member
 
Murray Anderson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 14,498
Thanked 89 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kupitz View Post
ROYAL PITA to work on! Need to be a yoga instructor to reach the rear cylinder spark plugs...seems 3/4 of the motor is under the dash.
This and the distributor is behind the water pump. Wires and/or plugs is a PITA. Thanks to GM's engineering, you can put a coffee on the passenger side hump .

Don't know why prices are cheap now, sold mine for $8K two years ago, $2K less than I paid 10 yrs ago (CAD)....... Spent two weeks all over the US with no issues.

Last edited by Murray Anderson; 08-08-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Murray Anderson is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:14 AM
  #10  
001pewter
CF Senior Member
 
001pewter's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,127
Thanked 116 Times in 89 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18
Default

Originally Posted by Murray Anderson View Post
This and the distributor is behind the water pump. Wires and/or plugs is a PITA. Thanks to GM's engineering, you can put a coffee on the passenger side hump .

Don't know why prices are cheap now, sold mine for $8K two years ago, $2K less than I paid 10 yrs ago (CAD)....... Spent two weeks all over the US with no issues.
  1. They're ugly
  2. Lt1
  3. Nobody cares
  4. STFU
  5. Refer back to 4
001pewter is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:19 AM
  #11  
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!
 
96 Vette CE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Up Here In Patriots Nation Drinking The Haters Tears
Posts: 41,575
Thanked 171 Times in 97 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by War Eagle ZO6 View Post
I remember I got Denise a new 94 Trans Am LT1. That car was fun... it was ugly as ****, but it was fun



LT1 has plenty of power for the street, they are very reliable, and can be had fairly cheap. Count me in!



96 Vette CE is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:20 AM
  #12  
Murray Anderson
CF Senior Member
 
Murray Anderson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 14,498
Thanked 89 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 001pewter View Post
  1. They're ugly
  2. Lt1
  3. Nobody cares
  4. STFU
  5. Refer back to 4
I would and did take a 96 Z over a C4 anyday.

Don't you have an online dating app to fill out?
Murray Anderson is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:25 AM
  #13  
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member
 
leadfoot4's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 57,459
Thanked 395 Times in 365 Posts
Default

I had a '96 Z/28 for 19 years. In the end, I sold it for three reasons. Primary reason had nothing to do with the car, as I had lost my "remote storage space", and had to totally re-arrange things at my house, in order to get the car in the garage. That, in turn made it a hassle to get either it, or the Corvette, in and out. Secondly, I had retired, and I was driving it a lot less. And finally, the Opti-Spark distributor. They were not a good design, and as time went on, tech support for it went away. Plus, as has been mentioned, for those of us who like to tinker with our cars, it wasn't an easy car to work on.

However, it was a fun car to drive......
leadfoot4 is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:28 AM
  #14  
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!
 
96 Vette CE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Up Here In Patriots Nation Drinking The Haters Tears
Posts: 41,575
Thanked 171 Times in 97 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I had a '96 Z/28 for 19 years. In the end, I sold it for three reasons. Primary reason had nothing to do with the car, as I had lost my "remote storage space", and had to totally re-arrange things at my house, in order to get the car in the garage. That, in turn made it a hassle to get either it, or the Corvette, in and out. Secondly, I had retired, and I was driving it a lot less. And finally, the Opti-Spark distributor. They were not a good design, and as time went on, tech support for it went away. Plus, as has been mentioned, for those of us who like to tinker with our cars, it wasn't an easy car to work on.

However, it was a fun car to drive......


So when my Opti-Spark chits the bed I have to junk my car?



96 Vette CE is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:50 AM
  #15  
fredl11
CF Senior Member
 
fredl11's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Davie Florida
Posts: 3,460
Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Default Yep




Originally Posted by kupitz View Post
ROYAL PITA to work on! Need to be a yoga instructor to reach the rear cylinder spark plugs...seems 3/4 of the motor is under the dash.

BUT I did like my 2000SS
fredl11 is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:52 AM
  #16  
TorchRedRocket
CF Senior Member
 
TorchRedRocket's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Winfield IN
Posts: 8,142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE View Post
So when my Opti-Spark chits the bed I have to junk my car?



No. You should junk your car because it's a C4.
TorchRedRocket is online now  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:55 AM
  #17  
TurboTnZ06
CF Senior Member
 
TurboTnZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: City of Turbo Buicks in Corvette County FL
Posts: 8,792
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

My uncle has a 97 Firehawk vert, 55k miles, it is quick, but the hood latch broke and the hood hasn't been opened in quite a while. I told him to charge the battery via the cig lighter port, but the batt is junk so it just sits in the garage...
TurboTnZ06 is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:56 AM
  #18  
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!
 
96 Vette CE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Up Here In Patriots Nation Drinking The Haters Tears
Posts: 41,575
Thanked 171 Times in 97 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by TorchRedRocket View Post
No. You should junk your car because it's a C4.


COTY bish!




96 Vette CE is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:57 AM
  #19  
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!
 
96 Vette CE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Up Here In Patriots Nation Drinking The Haters Tears
Posts: 41,575
Thanked 171 Times in 97 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by TurboTnZ06 View Post
My uncle has a 97 Firehawk vert, 55k miles, it is quick, but the hood latch broke and the hood hasn't been opened in quite a while. I told him to charge the battery via the cig lighter port, but the batt is junk so it just sits in the garage...

Does he want to sell it?
96 Vette CE is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 10:04 AM
  #20  
LayZ
CF Senior Member
 
LayZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,263
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default

They are cheap because they haven't hit that market point yet. Also LT1's are not that special, any worth collecting would be the models right before they switched over to the LS1 or the LS was an option,and had the LT4 motor. So for collection purposes they are not going to be worth anything. as a Hot rod thou... you can make that LT1 into a LT4 fairly easy and take on a LS1 motor without issue. I've been looking for a L98 for awhile now but they seem to have been all crushed. I have a hell of an intake for that motor just itching to get put on and ran. I'm guessing I could use it on other blocks as long as it's similar to the L98.
LayZ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why are LT1 Fbodies SO cheap?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: