F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Fbody Trans AM vs C5 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 12:03 PM
RME1993
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fbody Trans AM vs C5 Corvette

Hi Guys,

Was hoping you could help me understand a few things when talking Fbody Trans AM & C5 Corvette.
What are the main differences between the two when talking performance? Both use LS1 and have the same 4L60E Transmission and I believe they have the same computer. Obviously the body is different but I'm curious to get your feedback.

Thanks in advanced,
Old 12-11-2018, 05:01 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 713 Likes on 370 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

The LS1 is nearly identical (depends on year), and the power is the same regardless of advertised HP.

The big difference is the handling, and even more so once you consider the C5Z (albeit quite a bit more money than a 4th gen LS, and more power with the LS6).

Both have dated interiors, so I would look for a clean one - which is getting harder to find (easier on the C5Zs).

C5 has a transaxle (torque-tube), and 4th gen is a traditional solid axle layout.

C5 is a bit better to work on, especially engine bay as the 4th gens put half the LS under the cowl.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

The difference is night and day. I have a Camaro Mustang Challenge Camaro race car prepped about as far as one can go legally and it's only a couple seconds a lap faster on Toyo RR R compounds than my C5Z on Nitto NT05s. I guarantee if I bolted on the CMC RRs I'd go faster than my CMC car, and the C5Z is a full on street car. Even with stiff springs and shocks valved to match, the Camaro has a lot of roll when compared to the C5. The C5 is worlds easier to drive, but it sure is satisfying to hustle an inferior platform around the track. Cheaper too.

Get notified of new replies

To Fbody Trans AM vs C5 Corvette

Quick Reply: Fbody Trans AM vs C5 Corvette