Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

I want the dirt! What happened to the NC## forum?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 10:43 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I was on vacation for a week and I come back and we have a brand new "Factory Correct Restoration" section and the NCRS forum has disappeared. I know there was a lot of controversy over online ads and I guess lots of other stuff. What a lost opportunity (for NCRS). So..... wha happend?? MJ

(NCRS member and recent chapter member)
Old 07-31-2001, 10:46 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Here's a thread about it in Off Topic.

http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/Foru...ML/029198.html
Old 07-31-2001, 11:19 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Basicaly what it came down too was there was a new Guy who Pi$$ed everyone off, and there was a name calling contest back in forth, he was picking on the Rev, Jerry Clark, and Juliet, then everyone was sticking up for them and it was the last straw I guess, they haven't really wanted the forum for awhile, that is why we probably didn't get the on-line ads, they were just waiting to drop the forum.

Tom McCabe
Old 07-31-2001, 11:28 PM
mccomase
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that I did find interesting is that there was some discussion just starting about the "appearance of impropriety" in a recent NCRS regional director election. That discussion did not go far before the plug was pulled.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:31 PM
mccomase
Intermediate

One thing that I did find interesting is that there was some discussion just starting about the "appearance of impropriety" in a recent NCRS regional director election. That discussion did not go far before the plug was pulled.
Old 08-01-2001, 01:38 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

NC## or NC$$? The forum being nuked really took me by surprise. I figured it was inevitable, but the latest round of bantering was really not much different from any of the other threads. As for picking on me, yeah, but hey, I was picking on the 'new guy' so I never expected to be immune. Darn good thing Jerry is a good buddy of mine AND my husband's.... and it wasn't someone else I don't know. The usual drivelwhine-ing was going on, but that wasn't new. Folks were asking for fiscal NC$$ accounting, but that's happened before too.

I suppose looking at it from the board of director's point of view there hasn't been any good conversations about more restoration esoteric subjects (stamping, casting numbers, etc...) like we used to have back 'in the beginning.' It's only been a pure chat place of late, so it was inevitable. I had just figured that it would take something really BAD to get it canned. Not last week's threads. Flame me if you must, but I can't say that I totally disagree with their decision however. The NC$$ Forum certainly didn't exude the professionalism and knowledge base that the tech board does. It might have served the members needs in a very different manner, and attracted new folks by showing them we aren't all that uptight, but since NC$$ is NOT a democracy and is there to PROMOTE the hobby (not necessarily serve the members first), I sort of have to agree with the decision to nuke the chat board in the format in which it existed. It's a shame they didn't set up some NCRS sanctioned forum for off topic bantering which we all want - something not archived. More like a live chat board. Maybe then they really did want us to end up over here and keep the outward appearance of NCRS more focused. I don't know - it's a double edged sword. Pure technical, or pure fun too?

BTW, according to the Pres, that 10% number that was thrown around, came off one of the questions on the official GM survey which went to all NC$$ members earlier this summer. It was probably totally taken out of context (as I attempted to point out to our esteemed leader ) but nonetheless, that's where it came from. FWIW, I don't recall the wording, but the questionnaire went to all NC$$ members. ~Juliet

Old 08-01-2001, 01:44 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe it was a well orchestrated plan by either one or two from The Gang That Squacks, posing as Matt and his straight buddy.

They knew exactly who to go after and what strings to pull and the reaction that would follow. It would not surprise me one bit if the plan had the total blessing from The Buck Stops Here Gang.

Seek and destroy and the Forum is history in a matter of a few days.

Neat, tidy, and quick. In fact, tooo neat.

I wonder if Vinnie can look in the mirror and still have a clean conscience.

Old 08-01-2001, 02:04 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="4">Originally posted by GDaina:
It would not surprise me one bit if the plan had the total blessing from The Buck Stops Here Gang.[/color][/QUOTE]

But they could just as easily have decided to abandon it and go with the one board. Why the pretense and why the ordeal? It's not as if they're accounting anything to any of us anyways. Why the demise of the forum? So they can put some sort of a vindictive slam message on the dead board URL? Maybe I'm still way to naiive and new to the organization and think to highly of those board members I think I do know, but that just doesn't seem like how they'd operate. Maybe some outcast who gets the jollies ruining things might have had that plan, but the NC$$ board in on it? I'm sure there's a lot of stuff that goes on that I'm not priivy too, but I can't believe that NCRS would intentionally let it go down like that for a minute. ~Juliet

[This message has been edited by Juliet (edited 08-01-2001).]
Old 08-01-2001, 02:10 AM
Ron D
Burning Brakes

George, I never even thought of it that way but you make a really good point. hmmmmm
Old 08-01-2001, 02:25 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Think about it for a second. The constant whinning from the Whinners took a toll on The Gang, and don't you believe for one minute that there was no whinning goin on.

The decision to torpedo the Forum may have been made long before the final shot was fired, and The Gang was seeking an equitable, clean way to cut the embelical chord with a minimal backlash.

If the Forum were to be torpedoed without an incident, that would have raised the eyebrows of The Middle In The Road guys and these are the people that The Buck Stops Here Gang DID NOT want to upset.

By orchestrating the charade, the incident was created, thus giving a false justification to deep six The Forum.

Way too clean and tidy. and as you mentioned, the dialogue was no worse, and in fact was more civil than in some posts.

One other fact. Why don't you think that there was no intervention by John and Vinnie?
Vinnie and John, as well as The Whinners and members from The Buck Stops Here Gang constantly monitored the activities, yet the only response from them was:

"THERE WILL BE, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ANY CLASSIFIED POSTS. THAT IS A NO NO AND PUNISHABLE UNDER THE PENALTY OF DEATH."

Old 08-01-2001, 03:04 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="4">Originally posted by GDaina:
One other fact. Why don't you think that there was no intervention by John and Vinnie?
[/color][/QUOTE]

I'll give you that. I thought it odd that Vinnie didn't say something about the tirades earlier or do his usual post nuking thread fragmenting thing. Maybe the whole point of it was that folks relied on him to keep the limits there? Sort of like a kid who screams for parental control by going out of control? Maybe he was on vacation or something? I don't know George. That's still an awfully HUGE pill to swallow and my intuition just tells me it ain't so. ~Juliet
Old 08-01-2001, 03:41 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

One more pill to chew on. What IF....The Boys Who Sit In High Places at GM came to the NCRS site to gather information, such as gathering NCRS's members opinions on the C5 or the next C6? What if The Chief and The Buck Stops Here Gang KNEW of their visits? What if someone from Higher Places inquired about the activities on the Forum? What if The Buck Stops Here Gang thought, in light of The Visitors, The Forum was an embarrassment?

I can't answer the last what ifs, but I can tell you the First What If is not a what if, but in fact.....a reality. Yep, we had visitors from The General. This little tid bit was revealed to me by.......Vincent.

Old 08-01-2001, 05:43 AM
Brass
Instructor

Well, whatever the "real" reason is, I doubt whether we will ever know it, nor will they ever have to justify it. This hobby, like so many others, has taken on the guise of a business and the decisions (wrong or right) are made accordingly. "We" know best and all "others" merely follow. Or else. It's a shame.
The Forum needed moderation and never got it.
I'm sure some people are pi$$ed enough to not renew their memberships, but that is neither in one's own best interest, nor in the interest of the hobby.
I enjoyed the Forum and a lot of the people in it - they took a certain lighter approach to the strict "numbers-matching" way. The banter didn't really bother me once I realised these were all old friends. Still, there is a place for the strict restoration crowd. This hobby has so many facets, the last thing we need is intolerance. There's enough of that in the world already.
BTW, Juliet, I lost all my recent Urban Legend photos and I gotta take them all over again. There will be more on the way.

Bill the dum furriner Is Here Too.

Old 08-01-2001, 10:15 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="4">Originally posted by Brass:
BTW, Juliet, I lost all my recent Urban Legend photos and I gotta take them all over again. [/color][/QUOTE]

You can snag what's on the web page. Right mouse click, save as. I might have some still sitting in e-mail too somewhere around here. Which ones did you need? Was I supposed to add a batch to your web page that I totally forgot about? If I still have them I'll send 'em back to you. Damn, I really did NEED that vacation!! ~Juliet

Get notified of new replies

To I want the dirt! What happened to the NC## forum?

Quick Reply: I want the dirt! What happened to the NC## forum?