Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Another Ebay urban legend ...'64 Corvette found in garage after 31 years...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 01:07 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Default Re: Another Ebay urban legend ...'64 Corvette found in garage after 31 years... (Patrick Tighe)

Patrick,

In the rear 3/4 shot you can see the '67 gills.

Tom McCabe
Old 09-03-2001, 01:39 AM
64vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Another Ebay urban legend ...'64 Corvette found in garage after 31 years... (Patrick Tighe)

Definitely 67 side gills in the 3/4 shot. Also, in the front end shot it sure looks like a 67 grille to me. definitely not a 64!!!

Brian :chevy
Old 09-03-2001, 12:16 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Another Ebay urban legend ...'64 Corvette found in garage after 31 years... (64vette)

Before you guys get all excited, remember that you have to advertise a car based on the year and VIN that's on the title, not whether the car looks like another year model.

I once looked at a car advertised as a 65 with a 65 VIN, but it had a 67 front end on it. That wouldn't have been the reason I didn't buy the car; it had plenty more that was worse.
Old 09-03-2001, 01:42 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It COULD happen! Young, financially challenged individual is showing off in the late sixties or early seventies and smashes his front end. He looks for a replacement in the salvage yard, makes the repair, loses interest in the car, and parks it in the garage. QED! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, we should start an FCR "Lingo" section (not really): "Caveat Emptor - If the seller's mouth is moving, avoid hypnotic trance by putting your hands over your ears and keeping your eyes on the car (part, service, etc.) ." :D :D

[Modified by Chuck Sangerhausen, 10:44 AM 9/3/2001]
Old 09-03-2001, 03:12 PM
Brass
Instructor

Hi Patrick,

I tend to believe that Urban Legends (at least as I know it) are very very rare occurrances, and I think it is even more rare in the States because Corvettes are so sought after. People here may be more tuned to a Mercedes gullwing or Ferrari Dino or Lambo Miura S, but Corvettes? Nah. Their loss, my gain!

I took the brakes off this weekend and am preparing to send them for resleeving - gotta insure 'em. Ain't many '66 J56s to replace 'em with...

The whole car is really in astoundingly good condition. This is gonna be a fun winter...

Bill
Old 09-03-2001, 04:32 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Perhaps the car had been damaged: 67 gills & 66-67 egg crate grill. Sort of suspicious.

Old 09-03-2001, 11:26 PM
Shane64
Intermediate

Default Re: Another Ebay urban legend ...'64 Corvette found in garage after 31 years... (GaryS)

The part that bothers me is that he advertises the car as having "Original Paint" not "correct paint" or "original color", but original paint. It would be one heck of a trick to get original paint on non- original body panels. I actually took the time to send him an Email alerting him to the fact that the car has 67 lower fenders on it, just to give the benefit of the doubt that the seller didn't know the car had been messed with. So far there is no response, and the ad hasn't changed.

Buyer beware indeed!

Shane
Old 09-04-2001, 02:42 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Default Re: Another Ebay urban legend ...'64 Corvette found in garage after 31 years... (Shane64)

I also e-mailed him and asked why it had a '67 front clip on it and why the front suspension sat so high off the ground; no response yet.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:34 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Another Ebay urban legend ...'64 Corvette found in garage after 31 years... (Shane64)

It would be one heck of a trick to get original paint on non- original body panelsShane
:D

Good point!
Old 09-05-2001, 02:48 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Well, I e-mailed the fellow selling the 64 on EBay and here is his reply:

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
Thank You,

Steve Sanett"

It is an interesting question. How does a very original 64 get 67 panels and grill? It might be an interesting car, despite its flaws. Especially one that could be time machine.

Hmmm.
Gary
Old 09-05-2001, 03:07 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Another Ebay urban legend ...'64 Corvette found in garage after 31 years... (GaryS)

The car was probably hit in the front in the late '60's. It was common back then as it is now to use the latest and greatest clips on older models to give them an updated look.
Old 09-06-2001, 01:01 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I tend to agree the seller is stretching things a bit here. The car is listed as being original and unrestored except where noted. Nothing is mentioned about the '67 front end. The seller confesses not to have known about the fiberglass faux pas. The ad also implies the car was found recently in a garage after 31 years of storage. One look at the pictures and we realize that car had not been recently brought out of a garage after sitting for three decades.

Just the same, I have not given up hope for ebay. One of these days, Corvettes 001 and 002 will be located (probably sitting in the proverbial barn) and put up for sale. They'll be original, too! Right down to the big blocks, ZF transaxles, ABS, and CD players.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Ebay urban legend ...'64 Corvette found in garage after 31 years...

Quick Reply: Another Ebay urban legend ...'64 Corvette found in garage after 31 years...