Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Where to buy Suspension/Steering parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 12:11 AM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Where to buy Suspension/Steering parts?

I think my car needs some rubber replacement. Balljoints, bushings, etc. I saw a kit below offered by ZIP. I would like opinions on which vendor offers the best product. I want to be as true to original as possible, not necessarily with material bu with color. I want the black areas black and the non-painted areas not painted. Where do the diehards shop for authenticity?

Thanks

http://store.yahoo.com/corvetteresto...su-502-sc.html
Old 09-03-2001, 01:18 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Where to buy Suspension/Steering parts? (BAD-L88)

If it were me, I would shop around ALL the vendors to see where you can find NOS GM parts if you are striving for an authentic restoration.

With all due respect to our sponsor Zip, kits are usually the quick way to buy a pig in a poke in the restoration business. To me, originality is just as important as function, and EVERY individual item I buy has to pass the originality hurdle. With kits, you usually can't break them up to keep what you want and send the rest back.

[Modified by Chuck Sangerhausen, 10:19 PM 9/2/2001]
Old 09-03-2001, 12:18 PM
3X2-427
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Van Steel has the correct ball joints and the facility ti rivet them in plaxe. They also have many other correct front and rear suspension components and Art is a great guy.
Old 09-05-2001, 12:18 AM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Where to buy Suspension/Steering parts? (3X2-427)

I spoke to Art at Van Steel today. He was very helpful. He can get me all G< parts (with the possible exception of the tie rods, but maybe even those too). But, he tells me they will basically be of the 1982 variety since GM changes vendors so often. He assures me that these pass NCRS standards. Anyone disagree? How much would the '69 ball joints differ from the "82's? I am going to try a couple of other sources tomorrow and if I can't get "1969" parts I think I will go with Art.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2001, 09:43 AM
71-LS5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ball joints should be basically the same for 82 as yours. The key distinction that NCRS looks for is whether the ball joint is riveted or bolted into place. At the recent Nationals I observed the Bowtie judges doing the chassis of several Sharks and that was the key item they looked for on the ball joints. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to buy Suspension/Steering parts?

Quick Reply: Where to buy Suspension/Steering parts?