Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

NCRS/Bloomington Gold

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 11:46 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Default NCRS/Bloomington Gold

I have a question about the strictness of these two. I have an 87 convertible with very low miles and all original. However, I have changed the mufflers and obviously a new battery. I have the original mufflers at my house and I was wondering if I should put those back on and should i try to find an 'original' battery or does the battery not matter?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:37 PM
ddbjr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All maters but if those are the ONLY things changed you will get both awards easily.

donald
Old 10-03-2006, 01:26 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

thanks! As far as I can remember those are the only two things interior, exterior, or engine that has been changed. What about Bloomington's Survivor award? Will the changes matter there?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:45 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

If those are the only replacements the car has seen, it would probably qualify for Bloomington "Survivor" judging or NCRS "Crossed Flags" judging. The NCRS "Crossed Flags" (C4 version of "Star/Bowtie") judging requires a Top Flight plus the McLellan award first.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:19 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

What is the difference between all of the quoted items and what is the significance these and how they are determend as to what catagory and how they are scored??

jack

Originally Posted by JohnZ
If those are the only replacements the car has seen, it would probably qualify for Bloomington "Survivor" judging or NCRS "Crossed Flags" judging. The NCRS "Crossed Flags" (C4 version of "Star/Bowtie") judging requires a Top Flight plus the McLellan award first.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 66jack
What is the difference between all of the quoted items and what is the significance these and how they are determend as to what catagory and how they are scored??
Visit the NCRS and Bloomington Gold websites and read over what they have to say about judging. http://www.ncrs.org/ http://www.bloomingtongold.com/?link=home

If having your car judged piques your interest, each organization can provide the paperwork and judging manuals.

Good Luck.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:59 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

thanks guys. I'm hoping to go to Bloomington next year, but I didn't want to make the trip all the way out there (from PA) and run into things I wasn't expecting.

One more thing, does the AC have to cool or just work? My AC works, but it doesn't cool, so I've always passed tech inspection at shows, but I didn't know if they were stricter at these shows.

Last edited by tdogg21; 10-04-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:01 AM
ddbjr
Advanced

Originally Posted by tdogg21
thanks guys. I'm hoping to go to Bloomington next year, but I didn't want to make the trip all the way out there (from PA) and run into things I wasn't expecting.

One more thing, does the AC have to cool or just work? My AC works, but it doesn't cool, so I've always passed tech inspection at shows, but I didn't know if they were stricter at these shows.

Yes the ac has to cool, NCRS won't put a temp guage in the vent but you can easliy tell if its cooling vs. working

donald
Old 10-05-2006, 09:20 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

thanks guys for the help. I appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be a little more prepared now when I make the trip to these shows.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:27 AM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Yes, I don't think anyone would consider AC working unless it cooled....also BG I believe requires that you have your window sticker...NCRS does not.

Good Luck.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:53 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

that's good to know. I have a window sticker for my 87 that I ordered from the Corvette Museum. Is that good enough? As far as I know it's an exact reproduction of the original.

Sorry, if I'm asking really stupid questions. I've been going to small shows and I've been in the NCCC judging field at Carlisle for a few years, but I've never been to a show with technical judging.

Last edited by tdogg21; 10-05-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:30 PM
ddbjr
Advanced

I'm not sure what part of the country your in but you can get on the NCRS web site to find out when a judging event will be in your area. I would suggest it would be a good thing to attend. I do know there is one in the Batton Rouge area November 9-11.

donald
Old 10-05-2006, 12:41 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I was hoping to go to a smaller NCRS event, but I don't see any in my area (south Central PA). I'm trying to find a list of local chapters. I had found one earlier, but I don't remember where.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:09 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

that's good to know. I have a window sticker for my 87 that I ordered from the Corvette Museum. Is that good enough? As far as I know it's an exact reproduction of the original.

Sorry, if I'm asking really stupid questions. I've been going to small shows and I've been in the NCCC judging field at Carlisle for a few years, but I've never been to a show with technical judging.
Yes the Museum copy would be fine. Check the NCRS site for a local chapter near you. They hold chapter meets usually every year. Chapter meets are less formal and you'll be surprised what you'll learn about your car.......and no, there are no stupid questions. http://www.ncrs.org/
Old 10-06-2006, 11:50 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

I was hoping to go to a smaller NCRS event, but I don't see any in my area (south Central PA). I'm trying to find a list of local chapters. I had found one earlier, but I don't remember where.
Go to the NCRS site (www.ncrs.org) and click on the "Contacts" button to find the local chapter closest to you. If you don't have it already, you should have the NCRS Technical Manual & Judging Guide for your year car (that's the standard against which it will be judged), AND the NCRS "Corvette Judging Reference Manual", which explains the judging process in detail - the "Owners Advisory" section is particularly useful if you haven't had a car judged before.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:03 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Go to the NCRS site (www.ncrs.org) and click on the "Contacts" button to find the local chapter closest to you. If you don't have it already, you should have the NCRS Technical Manual & Judging Guide for your year car (that's the standard against which it will be judged), AND the NCRS "Corvette Judging Reference Manual", which explains the judging process in detail - the "Owners Advisory" section is particularly useful if you haven't had a car judged before.

Thanks!! hopefully those books should be a big help. thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:12 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Standard advice I give everyone having their car judged for the first time: Focus on the OPERATIONS section of your Judging Guide first! Most of those items are pass/fail, about 25 points each - an item as simple as a lighter that doesn't "pop" or windshield washers that don't squirt can cost you more points than ten or twenty different minor items in the other four sections. Operations failures can cost you more points than any other area of the car.

If you're an NCRS member, you can get a complete set of Judging Sheets for your car e-mailed in .pdf format from the National Judging Chairman (his contact info is at the NCRS site and on the inside cover of the "Restorer" magazine) - they show every item and the originality and condition points allocated to them.

Get notified of new replies

To NCRS/Bloomington Gold

Old 10-07-2006, 04:10 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

i ordered those books yesterday, so i'm looking forward to reading them. i hadn't thought about things like the lighter. i can't think of everything that doesn't work, but at the same time, i don't use everything on the car all the time. like for instance, the windshield wipers on my 69 blew a fuse, but i didn't realize it until i took it to carlisle this year in the rain. i'm going to join NCRS, but i was going to waiting until the end of the 'show season' so my year won't end in the middle of a year.

thanks again for the help!
Old 10-08-2006, 11:19 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Standard advice I give everyone having their car judged for the first time: Focus on the OPERATIONS section of your Judging Guide first! Most of those items are pass/fail, about 25 points each - an item as simple as a lighter that doesn't "pop" or windshield washers that don't squirt can cost you more points than ten or twenty different minor items in the other four sections. Operations failures can cost you more points than any other area of the car.

Big-time.

The first time I was judged (almost three years ago now), the cigarette lighter didn't pop. "Don't smoke, do you?" said one of the judges.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:51 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

I just went to both the Bloomington Gold and NCRS websites.

NCRS...Found everything I was looking for very quickly. I know know the various awards are and whats needed to achieve them.

BlommingtonGold...WTF? I spend 15 minutes navigating around ads and propoganda. I found a PDF that sort-of described judging but that was it. The PDF said, "for further information click here" and it takes you back to where you were.

My impressions:

NCRS...We're going to judge the your car with a fine tooth comb and rake it over the coals. But, were going to be cool about it and educate you and help you along the way. We want you to win a topflight award but you need to earn it.

BG..We're going to judge your car, you should feel privledged to have us judge it. Your going to spend money on our sponsored links first and give us lots of money then maybe we'll teach you something....if you pay us.

Quick Reply: NCRS/Bloomington Gold