Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Restoration / clean-up solvents

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 05:54 PM
1996Z15
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Restoration / clean-up solvents

I have a very original (except for paint) 1969 Corvette that I'd like to start detailing the frame, underbody of the car as well as the engine compartment.
I am pretty sure that many of the hardware pieces would clean up just fine if only I knew of a solvent that would simply clean the part and not remove any of the correct finishes and/or markings.
I was also wondering what would be the best solvent to clean up the frame?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The frame is painted and should have various grease pencil and inked stencil markings. Solvents are likely to remove these markings. If you're wanting to save the markings, I would skip the solvents and wash the frame with the garden hose and a mild detergent.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:49 PM
SolidAxle
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996Z15
I have a very original (except for paint) 1969 Corvette that I'd like to start detailing the frame, underbody of the car as well as the engine compartment.
I am pretty sure that many of the hardware pieces would clean up just fine if only I knew of a solvent that would simply clean the part and not remove any of the correct finishes and/or markings.
I was also wondering what would be the best solvent to clean up the frame?
We use a cleaner called Tappan. Comes in plastic Gallon containers and sells for about $20/Gallon. We buy it by the case direct from the manufacturer. You may be able to find it at an RV or Camper place. If you can't, let me know and I can provide you the contact info.

This cleaner strips wax, grease, tar, bugs, rust, and most road grime but won't harm paint. It is used to remove the black streaks from camper siding. All wax is removed however, so remember that when getting the bugs off the front of your car. We use it full strength but you can dilute it as well.

Grease pencil markings would be removed but not inspection paint.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:18 PM
tls630
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had real good luck with diesel fuel and a paint brush on the very tough stuff, and also Simple Green spray on the stuff that isn't as bad. Viet
Old 10-31-2006, 04:23 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by viet630
I have had real good luck with diesel fuel and a paint brush on the very tough stuff, and also Simple Green spray on the stuff that isn't as bad. Viet
I also use Simple Green. Does a great job removing the grease but leaving the finish.

Get notified of new replies

To Restoration / clean-up solvents

Quick Reply: Restoration / clean-up solvents