Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

How big of a deduct?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 01:31 PM
hdvettes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How big of a deduct?

I am looking at a '63 that has silver paint but it isn't the correct "Sebring Silver". What is the deduct for close but not correct?
Also the bottom of the car was blasted. The original molded finish has been removed and the fiberglass is grooved and pitted showing the raw glass hairs. The bottom can not be repaired to the correct finish. How major is this.
He is asking top dollar for this car and has NCRS judging sheets that do not reflect the actual condition of this car.

Thanks for any opinions,
Mike
Old 10-19-2006, 02:05 PM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I had 20% of the paint points taken off one time because the judge thought the shade was too far off.

Then at national is was determined that it was pretty close, and I got full points.

There can be a lot of difference between judges at local vs regional vs national meets.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:12 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Body color carries 85 originality points - if the color is correct to the trim tag but the shade is not correct, it's a 20% deduction; if the metallic content or size isn't consistent with the original paint, it's a 50% deduction.

Body paint carries another 85 points, and relates to whether it "appears" to be lacquer as originally applied; if it's base/clear and isn't dulled in jambs and gutters and under the deck lid, you could take another big hit.

The underbody carries 17 points; the surface issue you describe would probably get a 5-10-point deduction.

Last edited by JohnZ; 10-19-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:12 PM
hdvettes
Racer

That is true. I know this paint isn't even close to Sebring Silver. There is no rainbow effect like the original color. It appears to be more of a Silver Pearl from '65.

Mike
Old 10-19-2006, 02:23 PM
hdvettes
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Body color carries 85 originality points - if the color is correct to the trim tag but the shade is not correct, it's a 20% deduction; if the metallic content or size isn't consistent with the original paint, it's a 50% deduction.

The underbody carries 17 points; the surface issue you describe would probably get a 5-10-point deduction.

Thanks John, I would expect both originallity and condition should get hit. The original surface is gone and the finish is very course. The color of the finish has changed. The as pressed finish is gone and the tint from the resin has been destroyed. The bare glass cannot be polished it is now too porous.
Mike
Old 10-29-2006, 05:39 AM
a560156
Drifting

It is difficult to determine the deduction without actually seeing the car.
Was the car judged after it was painted?
What level meet?
Is the handwriting on the sheets from the same hand and are the sheets copies or originals? I would examine them closely.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:09 AM
hdvettes
Racer

It was judged at a chapter level after it had been restored. The judging sheets are original. Unfortunately the judges were, in my opinion, to lienient. it is a nice car but not an exceptional one. I have been told that it had rained the day of the judging also.
Mike
Old 10-29-2006, 03:05 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by hdvettes
I have been told that it had rained the day of the judging also.
If it's an outdoor local show in the rain, it's often tougher to catch questionable paint...
Old 10-30-2006, 12:47 PM
hdvettes
Racer

In the rain and rained on are not the same thing. Maybe they should state the weather conditions of the judging to help explain why they missed obvious deductions.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:12 PM
tls630
Melting Slicks

You say that they want top dollar for the car! I would stay away from it because some of the damage you describe cannot be corrected.If you buy the car you will not be satisfied knowing that it is less than correct.I geuss my point is that no matter what price you pay the car is still not correct. JUST jmho. Viet [P.S. I had one that was not correct and never would be and it aggrevated until I sold it.]
Old 10-31-2006, 04:26 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

As I recall, it is possible to Top Flight a car even with an incorrect body color..., but everything else needs to be about perfect to achieve this.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:32 AM
tls630
Melting Slicks

I don't think this car would top flight with the glass problem's. I know it would not in my area. And I am pretty sure it would not at any regional, they get much tougher to top flight the more you move up.Like I said if it were me I would forget it, because you will never be able to make it correct. If you just want a driver and are satisfied with that o.k., but that is all it will ever be, a driver. Viet
Old 11-01-2006, 09:56 PM
hdvettes
Racer

Thanks for the input. I guess I am up against the fact that the car is nice yet not as nice as the seller feels it is. He is basing his opinion on his judging sheets and I have to go with my inspection of the car as it was judged. The problem is nothing better has come up for sale. So I am still looking.

Thanks for the help,
Mike
Old 11-01-2006, 11:08 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by hdvettes
I guess I am up against the fact that the car is nice yet not as nice as the seller feels it is. He is basing his opinion on his judging sheets and I have to go with my inspection of the car as it was judged.
This is a common issue. To me, it has to do with the fact that folks who are not serious about the NCRS do not differentiate depending on where the Top Flight was received. I've seen this a couple times at Barrett-Jackson, where a not-so-great Corvette was getting more attention than it might have deserved because of a chapter Top Flight...
Old 11-02-2006, 12:20 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by j3studio
This is a common issue. To me, it has to do with the fact that folks who are not serious about the NCRS do not differentiate depending on where the Top Flight was received. I've seen this a couple times at Barrett-Jackson, where a not-so-great Corvette was getting more attention than it might have deserved because of a chapter Top Flight...
Depends where/when a car was judged - our last chapter meet had 18 cars registered and 36 judges working, 12 of whom are Master Judges who judge regularly at Regionals and at the National; some of the smaller chapters don't have that depth of experience.

Get notified of new replies

To How big of a deduct?

Quick Reply: How big of a deduct?