Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Side Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 11:57 PM
Alex in Germany
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Side Exhaust

I was looking in the NCRS manual for 67 and noticed that there is only one set of numbers foe small block manifolds. I was wondering if that meeans all smallblocks can use either the 2" or the 2.5" exhaust? Other than not being correct, ie a 327/300 hp with auto trans and 2.5" pipes, whould there be any other differences?
Thanks,
Alex :chevy
Old 10-09-2001, 08:46 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Side Exhaust (Alex in Germany)

I was told by the GM dealer that they are the same, but I would have had to grind off the "ears". I was going to use the 2.5 inch ram horns when I ditched my rusted out headers. I was told though, that for my year no real 2.5 inch stock exhaust system(or ram horns) was offered. I would've had to piece together a 2.5 inch system from various years. That sounded too complicated for my simple mind:D so I opted to use the 2 inch ram horns and a 2.5 inch chambered exhaust.

If I remember correctly, those '60's 2.5 inch ram horns were actually cheaper($98) than the 2 inch ones I bought.($126)

Good Luck

Len
Old 10-10-2001, 06:17 AM
Alex in Germany
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Side Exhaust (Patrick Tighe)

I was under the impression that only the base engine automatic used 2" pipes and all others used 2.5"? This would mean that they should fit without any modifications? What would need to be done to put side pipes on a non side exhaust car? Is there any cutting involved?
Thanks,
Alex :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Side Exhaust

Quick Reply: Side Exhaust