Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Wiper door relay valve

Old 12-14-2001, 11:08 PM
je68
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper door relay valve

Can anyone get a pic of the relay vave on the pass fender for a 68 as my fenders have been replaced and the wiper door parts removed. Also the the washer bottle for a 68 BB. I have all the parts and the AIM but it is just general. Thanks John
Old 12-15-2001, 01:35 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Wiper door relay valve (je68)

If I remember correctly it just mounts on the back of the innerfender opposite the heater motor. Please dont take this the wrong way, but why do you ask? If that is your car in the picture I dont even see a wiper door.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:45 AM
je68
Instructor

Default Re: Wiper door relay valve (wombvette)

I have replaced the long L-88 dood with a reg L-88 and am installing the wiper door. I just have to install the vac I am trying to do as much factory correct as I can. I will post new pic when I am done.

[Modified by je68, 11:47 PM 12/14/2001]
Old 12-15-2001, 11:25 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...I am trying to do as much factory correct as I can.
Well, shoot, je68...Whyn't ya jus' sacrefice Andy Jackson on the altar of restor'ation, an' git youself one of them there Assemly Instruc'n Manyuals (AIM)...Thet's whut thuh boyees on duh line used'ta to mek it factoree correc'. :jester :jester :jester

Seriously, now, the 68s with AC also had the washer bag hung on the right inner fender. As I recall on my 70, the inner fender has a flattened mounting pad with indented dimples for screw holes, and it is probably the same way on all sharks. If the vacuum system were removed, I would expect there to be existing holes somewhere that exactly match the relay bracket...nobody would patch those unless they were super-**** retentive.

Be careful you get your "stuff" hanging on the inner fender in the right places...it will be real embarrassing to see a real one and your "stuff" is hangin' different. :D :D
Old 12-15-2001, 11:33 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

My relay is mounted in the center of the backside of pass. inner skirt. The bolt holes are 19 3/4" up from the floor.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:08 PM
je68
Instructor

Default Re: Wiper door relay valve (68rdstr)

Well Chuck I do have one of them AIM and is does not show any detail. AS far as factory correct I try and make the car better then it was, which is not very hard as $$ was part of GM plan and they cut cost when they could. That said I do try to put things back as they should when I can. Back to 68 BB's they had a platic jar painted black. I can't look for the holes in my fenders as the inter fenders have been replaced. And by the way there is not a production car every made for under $1,000,000.00 that can keep from reading corvette on the back of my car. Sorry if you think I am wasteing my time looking for the right place to put things I guess it does not really matter on a non # car to some of you guys that is why I am not a member of the local corvette club. Next year when I can't find any thing left to redo in this 68 I will start a # matching BB frame off and still won't join the local vett club.

[Modified by je68, 7:20 PM 12/15/2001]
Old 12-15-2001, 11:00 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

je, I wasn't saying anything about the number status of your car, and heartily encourage your intentions. I think you misinterpreted my feeble efforts at humor as numbers-elite snobbery; maybe others did as well. Please accept my apology if my earlier post offended you. :)

As far as the location of the relay, I checked one of the best photographic references I know, and I could find no pictures where the relay was even visible. You are correct; I checked my 70 AIM and there are no dimensions given to locate the relay. For 70 non-air cars, it appears that the flattened mounting pad on my inner fender is where the washer bottle attaching bracket was riveted.

My late 70 has the relay mounted on the driver side firewall near the master cylinder. The 70 AIM shows the relay location changed back to right inner fender, but the change didn't actually get made until 71. In this case (71 and later), the relay is located between the washer bottle and the fender, and has a tapping plate on the tire side of the skirt which is riveted in place. I know this isn't much help to you., but at least it may let you know that you may need a tapping plate as well as a relay.

Typically, if no dimensions are given, it is because there were some dimples to show the assembler where the component went. You have a start with the dimension that 68rdstr gave you (is that the distance from the bottom of the inner fender to the centerline of the screw holes?). It would probably help to also have a horizontal dimension from some known reference around the back side of the inner fender, e.g. the distance from the fender or the distance from the control arm cut-out at the 19 3/4" height dimension. Then there is another question: was the relay bracket mounted level on the inner fender or is mounted at some angle? Or does it matter?

Your best bet is to observe an actual 68 installation on another car, and take dimensions as required. I would be of more direct help, but as I said, my relay is mounted on the firewall.

[Modified by Chuck Sangerhausen, 8:02 PM 12/15/2001]
Old 12-16-2001, 03:37 AM
je68
Instructor

Default Re: Wiper door relay valve (Chuck Sangerhausen)

Thanks for looking Chuck I have also looked at many corvette books and can't find a pic. So I will use the 19 3/4 dimension and that should be close enough.
Old 12-16-2001, 01:14 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

That measurement was from the garage floor up to the mounting holes. My car has the AC washer bag mounted at the top of the skirt.
Here's another measurement. 7 1/2" from the bottom of the inner skirt, 6"
from the fender to first bolt hole. My car didn't have a valve either, but when I did buy one, the bolt holes on the valve lined up in that location and it clears the ac lines, heater valve and the wiper door vacum lines hook up without any problems
Old 12-18-2001, 08:29 PM
68mako
Heel & Toe

I can get you a pic tommorow, I'm at work now. My engine bay is empty right now but I have'nt removed anything from the fender wells yet and I know this is factory mounted.
Old 12-19-2001, 12:31 AM
je68
Instructor

Default Re: Wiper door relay valve (68mako)

That would be great. Just installed my dash and will be working on vac system in next day or so John
Old 12-21-2001, 06:53 PM
68mako
Heel & Toe

Hey je68,
sorry not getting pic posted, my dig cam took a dump. Maybe santa will bring a new one if he can get through this typhoon that's gonna kick our butt on xmas eve.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper door relay valve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiper door relay valve