Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Been through Flight judging w/ a C4? Please step in...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Vette73
LS/MFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Default Been through Flight judging w/ a C4? Please step in...

Posted this over in C4, but then realized that you guys on this forum might know better.

I'm going over my '90 preparing it for Flight and Performance Verification judging. I've been through the process with my '73, but I hear that the C4 judges are even tougher than the C1 - C3 judges , believing that with so many extremely low mileage C4's, there is no reason for ANYTHING to be wrong. For instance, several of my spark plug wire looms were broken or cracked from age, and I can't find a source for the original gray ones, so I carefully painted a set of black ones. I freshened the interior with Al Knoch seats, but I'm not happy with the stitch pattern -- suppose the judges won't be either, huh?

So what's your experience been? Does it have to be a sub-1000 mile C4 to get a Top Flight?

Also, I have all original dated/numbered parts, and I'll install these for Flight judging (will be trailered), but do I need to install the 20 year old hoses for PV? I can't find a source for correctly marked hoses for a C4, and a 20 mile drive with 20 year old hoses makes me neerrrrooouuuvss.

Added: Same goes for the 20 year old tires -- can't find a source for new Gatorbacks.

Last edited by Vette73; 03-03-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:21 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette73
do I need to install the 20 year old hoses for PV? I can't find a source for correctly marked hoses for a C4, and a 20 mile drive with 20 year old hoses makes me neerrrrooouuuvss.
There is no requirement for ANY part to be "original" for Flight Judging or P.V.; Flight Judging is based on the appearance of originality, and P.V. is a functional test. If you're concerned about the reliability of 20-y/o hoses, change them. Same thing for tires - it'd be embarrassing (and depressing) to have a tire failure during the P.V.; it's a BAD idea to drive the car on 20-year-old tires anyway other than on and off a trailer.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Vette73
LS/MFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Thanks. That helps. I suppose a tire or hose failure during PV would probably disqualify ma, huh?

In some ways, the easy availability of restoration and NOS parts made getting the '73 ready much easier.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:16 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

People in the ZR-1 section have done this as well as on the ZR1 NET site.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:51 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Vette73
Does it have to be a sub-1000 mile C4 to get a Top Flight?
No! I got a National Top Flight in a C4 with over 55,000 miles...

...I didn't have Gatorbacks either.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:50 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Gatorbacks are often available on Ebay- they do have date codes fyi. Also, wheel lock kits in bag are important as well as all original tags stockers, owner manual contents, hang tags, key knock outs, shock code stickers, even headlight motors and distributors have date codes. Get a NCRS book for your year. FYI, I trailered my 89 Hardtop at last minute from garage in Alabama to Kissimmee Floriday at last minute and top flighted. They dinged me for an "error" on the hardtop (dual roof soft convertible and hardtop- had hardtop installed) protested with senior judge and it was over rulled and manual rewritten ( I am a Bloomington Gold C4 Judge) . Don't stress it.

Last edited by corvette95; 01-22-2018 at 07:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Been through Flight judging w/ a C4? Please step in...

Quick Reply: Been through Flight judging w/ a C4? Please step in...