Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

'64 Coupe Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 11:07 AM
Falcon05Dad
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Default '64 Coupe Question

The first '64 coupe I owned in the early 70's was a pretty plain 300hp car. It had an exhaust fan behind the driver's seat that was activated by a vent pull **** below the dash. The coupe I now own is a factory A/C car and there is no evidence of a like exhaust fan. Was the fan installed only on non-A/C coupes or might it have been removed from my current car at some point? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Greg G.
'64 Coupe 365hp A/C, P/W, KOs - Ermine White/Saddle Tan Leather

The following users liked this post:
PSB (10-13-2022)
Old 08-18-2002, 04:59 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: '64 Coupe Question (Falcon05Dad)

It had an exhaust fan behind the driver's seat that was activated by a vent pull **** below the dash. The coupe I now own is a factory A/C car and there is no evidence of a like exhaust fan. Was the fan installed only on non-A/C coupes or might it have been removed from my current car at some point? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Greg, I was not previously aware of this fact, but this from Michael Antonick's "Corvette Black Book":

"A fan was added to the rear area of the 1964 coupes to assist with the ventilation problem common to 1963 models. The operating switch for the three-speed fan is located under the driver side dash. The external opening s for the vent are located on the side of the roof, between the door and rear window. The driver's side is functional. The passenger side is not."

On later cars with AC, the manual kick panel vents are omitted, relying on the AC blower to provide ventilation. On 68-72 cars, for example, the rear "Astroventilation" door openings are permanently sealed when the car has AC. I am not knowledgeable about midyears, but I expect that same reasoning originated on 64s, and that would explain the absence of a ventilation fan on your AC coupe.

Maybe someone with midyear experience will contribute some knowledge.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:40 PM
M.Y.Freak
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,
Back in the late 70's I had a '64 Coupe with factory A/C & I'm FAIRLY certain it had both. I may be having one of those senior moments but I vaguely recall taking out the rear fan & cleaning/checking it while I had the interior out.
Hopefully, others will confirm or unconfirm this.
Regards, Bob L.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:33 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Had a 64 AC coupe last year and it had the fan in the rear, remember it well as I turned it on and it refused to shut off, had to remove the carpet panel and pull the cable to the off position.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:12 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All 64 and 65 Coupes had the interior exhaust fan, with the outlet behind the driver, regardless of being an AC car or not. They were notoriously unreliable and ineffective and were a good source of aggravating rattles & squeaks. I removed the entire assembly from my 64 AC Coupe years ago when replacing the carpet.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:38 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

My 1965 factory air coupe, has the exhaust fan in the left side roof pillar. It was discontinued for the 1966 coupes.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:02 PM
cvette79blu
Intermediate

Default 64-65 coupe rear Ventilation!

According to my owners manual the rear vent **** is far left or almost under the rotational light switch. (also won't work if the heater is on, according again the owners manual.) Pulling the cable kmob open the motor value. 1/3 half and full open. So what turns the motor electrically on?

Do you twist the **** clock wise? please let me know as this rear vent. thing has been driving me crazy for months and no one seem to have the answer. Hell you can't even Google it!

Last edited by cvette79blu; 01-20-2019 at 08:03 PM. Reason: coma
Old 01-30-2019, 05:10 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

My '64 with a/c has the fan. Owned the car since 1970.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:16 PM
cvette79blu
Intermediate

That's great but this has noting to do with A/C!
I did consult reputable Corvette Mechanic and he gave me the answer I'v been looking for!
A/C heater Temp and Def. are all ***** up front above the radio *****! in the front!

This **** is far left under the rotational light switch!
pull out and twist clockwise! Motor comes on.(in the back)..you can hear it and to test it
you can hold toilet paper up to the driver-side gills on the B-Post and watch it flutter!

Air in the back of the coupe or luggage area goes through small gabs in the rear carpet and is
sucked into the motor which then blows it out the gills! Great back in the days when people smoked!

and that's how it's done!

Last edited by cvette79blu; 01-30-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: parts missing!
Old 02-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

"pull out and twist clockwise!" No, you just pull out on the ****. The fan is three speeds and the amount that the lever is pulled out determines the speed. There is no rotation on the cable.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:17 PM
cvette79blu
Intermediate

Wow that's cool! can you make a video of that and post it? here or on youtube!?
a friend told me that when the air is coming out of the gills you can hold tissue paper
up to the gills and watch it flutter!
Old 02-10-2020, 05:42 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
"pull out and twist clockwise!" No, you just pull out on the ****. The fan is three speeds and the amount that the lever is pulled out determines the speed. There is no rotation on the cable.
The attached .pdf was put together by Dave Zuberer, and explains everything you need to know about the coupe rear blower system.

Attached Images

Get notified of new replies

To '64 Coupe Question

Quick Reply: '64 Coupe Question