Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Is the value of my car compromised? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 05:54 PM
DeesCorvette2008
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Is the value of my car compromised? Please help!

Hi all. I'm thinking of buying an original 72 LT1 roadster with 66k on it. The car has impeccable documentation on it dating back to the day it was purchased new. It was judged at a ncrs meet 2 years ago with a 2nd flight as a survivor. I'm purchasing this car as an investment and occasional driver doing some restoration in the process. Unfortunately, it does not have PS or PB from the factory. My question is, if I were to add PS to the car, will it hurt the value even if I keep all original parts? Will it help to sell it in the event I do or deter a buyer knowing there is proof the car was born with manual steering? I want to make the right decision for the car and preserve the value. It's kind of tough given it's so original but shifting and steering that car, I imagine will be a chore. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks Dee
Old 10-10-2016, 09:57 AM
kcust62
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

First of all Dee, purchasing any of these vintage cars for an investment is a foolish move. Too much volatility in the enthusiast market. Secondly, and no offense intended, if I were going for any C-3 with resale in mind, it would be a BB. I believe you would have a very small number of folks interested in a small block C-3, especially at inflated prices. Do yourself a favor and do the research before jumping into this with value added in mind and if you buy, drive it like it was intended and forget about the money! Good luck...
Old 10-10-2016, 12:52 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

As an owner of a 427 manual steering, manual brake, manual trans car, steering really isn't a problem while driving. Your arms will get a workout while trying to park. It was a lot easier 40 years ago..............
Seeing it is the last year for a LT-1, I'd keep it as original as possible.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:25 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by DeesCorvette2008
...My question is, if I were to add PS to the car, will it hurt the value...
Probably not provided you make a factory installation using factory parts.

...even if I keep all original parts?...
Relay rod and pitman arm will be the two stock items you will not use with the conversion to power steering.

...Will it help to sell it in the event I do...
Possibly.

...or deter a buyer knowing there is proof the car was born with manual steering?...
Look at it this way, with the parts you keep, a potential buyer who wanted to revert to standard steering would have the required parts.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 10-14-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:51 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by DeesCorvette2008
Hi all. I'm thinking of buying an original 72 LT1 roadster with 66k on it. The car has impeccable documentation on it dating back to the day it was purchased new. It was judged at a ncrs meet 2 years ago with a 2nd flight as a survivor. I'm purchasing this car as an investment and occasional driver doing some restoration in the process. Unfortunately, it does not have PS or PB from the factory. My question is, if I were to add PS to the car, will it hurt the value even if I keep all original parts? Will it help to sell it in the event I do or deter a buyer knowing there is proof the car was born with manual steering? I want to make the right decision for the car and preserve the value. It's kind of tough given it's so original but shifting and steering that car, I imagine will be a chore. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks Dee
Hope you bought the car but in my humble opinion do not add or change a thing on it from it's original sale if your really "investing" in this car. While prices fluctuate, remember they quit making the 1972 LT-1 44 years ago.
While you may or may not make a profit down the road, you can't take it with you so enjoy it.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:44 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

if you want P/S or P/B,its your car,do it,these are not things that can't be replaced without wrecking the value of the car

now if you wanted to cut a hole in the hood for s super-charger,well?
Old 12-13-2016, 06:38 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

PS is no big deal and can be added relatively easy.
PB on the other hand will be a PITA since you need to drop the column and clutch/brake pedal assy. to get to the proper holes for the booster.
I did a body off restore of a 72 LT-1 A/C coupe in 1988. It had PS but not PB and I thought it would be easy since I had completely disassembled the car. I wound up not adding it since I couldn't find correct dated parts. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:43 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I wouldn't change parts on a car bought in investment condition. But, I am not a collector, so would check with the judging criteria used on the car.

I assume the awards effect the value of the car, and parts effect the judgement. Additionally, in todays world an investment car is only driven back and forth to the transport, at least that is what i see when any big deal cars show up.

I once heard a guy at a show guy complain that his restored harley davidson had the exactly correct color of paint but was marked down because the paint was not the correct cellulose paint, he had a modern paint formulation .

Get notified of new replies

To Is the value of my car compromised? Please help!

Quick Reply: Is the value of my car compromised? Please help!