Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

I feel a need to rant.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:48 PM
milan15
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I feel a need to rant.

I have a very nice 69 350 4 speed for sale. Unfortunately the motor is not original. I bet I get a dozen or more calls per week asking if its numbers matching. Once I say no I never hear from them again. I understand the car is worth more money with the original motor but really does the motor alone make the car? To me its the styling of that particular year not the drive train. When I see a 63 split window driving down the road my first impression is "what a nice car". Not "I wonder if its numbers matching otherwise its a piece of crap". Is a car still original when you change the tires, starter, ball joints? Ok I'm done ranting.
The following users liked this post:
DMoody (08-24-2020)
Old 03-02-2019, 11:55 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

I can appreciate your rant.

Yet if I was buying a '69 I would want it to have an appreciation factor.
Non numbers matching can take away that factor.
Yes, IMO correct motor can make the car, especially a classic.

FWIW maybe modify you add to say non-matching?
Old 03-03-2019, 04:54 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Fact is that a matching number car vs the same exact car in the same condition is worth more money. As Kenny states above some buyers want the car that they buy to have an appreciation factor. To some the matching number car is that car. Something to think about is that the matching number car being worth more actually raises the value of the NOM car. The percentages of growth historically is close to the same between the cars. As far as if the car does not have the original motor it is a "piece of crap" for me that comes down to condition. I have seen lots of these cars that are pieces of crap. Many have had the original motors
Old 03-08-2019, 07:58 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
I can appreciate your rant.

Non numbers matching can take away that factor.
Yes, IMO correct motor can make the car, especially a classic.

FWIW maybe modify you add to say non-matching?
I would agree with this, as it most likely would save you a LOT of un-needed aggravation. While I certainly understand the allure of the "numbers matching" idea, when buying a classic car, what many people overlook, is that many of these "high performance" cars were purchased for exactly that reason....they were FAST. And many of these cars were driven quickly, but in some cases either too quickly or with too little maintenance, and suffered damaged engines, as a result. If the engine expired within the warranty period, a "service replacement" engine was installed. If it was after the warranty period, anything that could be found, was generally what went into the car.....
Old 09-22-2019, 09:48 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945

Non numbers matching can take away.
Originally Posted by provette67
Something to think about is that the matching number car being worth more actually raises the value of the NOM car. The percentages of growth historically is close to the same between the cars.
If rising values of numbers cars really does raise the value of NOMs, this contradicts the common wisdom stated above which says NOM cars DO NOT appreciate in value. I see two markets here. One looks for essentially a time capsule, original components are very important. This crowd generally will pay premium prices for originality. The other crowd looks for drivers, not willing to pay the extra cost for originality. Sounds like the first group is larger? I do believe numbers increases value, not so convinced NOMs do not appreciate at all.
I agree, state the car is NOT numbers matching to avoid calls from buyers who will never be interested.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:06 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

quite frankly, buying a classic, I wouldn't want a matching car...

my personal preference would be to modify it to be how I wanted, not a garage/show queen...

I have a 64.5 mustang (number 24000) and it needs so much love, I can't imagine what it would cost to do a full on proper collector car resto...

someone is out there, just gonna take some time...
​​​​​​
Old 11-23-2019, 01:03 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Isnt another factor with a replacement engine the period correctness of the engine? A 69 350 could be a 300 HP or 350 HP, if it is replaced by another SB engine with high compression from the same time period it will be more desirable than if the 350 currently in the car is a low compression truck engine from the 80's as an example.

Get notified of new replies

To I feel a need to rant.

Quick Reply: I feel a need to rant.