Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > General Corvette Topics > Factory Correct Resto
Reload this Page >

Ď63 Z06 Tanker needs factory restoration. Any recommendations?

Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Ď63 Z06 Tanker needs factory restoration. Any recommendations?

Old 03-15-2019, 02:47 AM
KRISSI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ď63 Z06 Tanker needs factory restoration. Any recommendations?

Hi, I have in my immediate family a 1963 Z06 Tanker, grey/black. Itís on its second owner, having been bought by my family member in about 1965. All original, with documentation, sales slip, original owners manual and every piece of paper that came with the car, matching VINS on everything, every single thing on it is original. Garage kept, but original.

But now they want to get a local mechanic to just get it back to running order. (Pause for screaming. I know, I do it quite a lot.) As you surely know, it is physically painful to think of what someone who doesnít even specialize in ANY classic cars or restoration, much less how even appreciate he would do to get it in ďrunning orderĒ. Honestly, I feel like throwing up a lot. And I canít get them to trailer it out and sell it as-is.

What I was wondering is if you could give me the names of some good restoration experts. I know it would probably cost at least $100,000 - $150,000 to fully restore, but I feel that itís vital that only the best work on this car. There arenít many of them left, after all.

They want someone who will preferably do the restoration and settle for a percent when they sell it, but I have explained how unlikely and ridiculous that is. But last time I tried to convince them, these cars were only going for about $250,000 fully restored. Now that itís gone up considerably, I can possibly convince them to let some experts look at it. I hate to see it sold, because Iíve known it all my life, but better that than destroyed. We live in Illinois, so the closer the better, but if the best guys arenít close, thatís fine too.

Hopefully Iím writing to the right people.if not, can you please, PLEASE pass suggest who to ask? Iím working against the clock on this one. But no matter what, thank you so much for helping to save such a classic, beautiful car, and listening to my ramblings.

Oh, and p.s. No, Iím afraid you canít come see it, and believe me, all reasonable offers will be refused. Ask the Corvette museum, theyíve been trying to get it forever. And yes, my family IS insane. But my father and I restored classic cars to factory specs for decades (yes, girls can actually be trained to do that), so weíre trying our hardest to prevent this disaster.

Thanks so much for reading!

Thank you sincerely,
Karen Duthie
Old 03-15-2019, 06:48 PM
rvazquez
CF Senior Member

Liked 54 Times in 42 Posts

Nabor brothers in Texas are well known for their extremely high level restorations.
recently, one of the brothers passed away, so I don't know their status, at the moment.
sounds like you have a wonderful car that deserves the finest of care.
good luck with your search
Old 03-17-2019, 06:04 PM
3X2
CF Senior Member

Liked 142 Times in 118 Posts

Kevin MacKay. period. http://corvetterepair.com/
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM
corvetterepairinc

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Corvette Repair, Inc

Originally Posted by KRISSI View Post
Hi, I have in my immediate family a 1963 Z06 Tanker, grey/black. Itís on its second owner, having been bought by my family member in about 1965. All original, with documentation, sales slip, original owners manual and every piece of paper that came with the car, matching VINS on everything, every single thing on it is original. Garage kept, but original.

But now they want to get a local mechanic to just get it back to running order. (Pause for screaming. I know, I do it quite a lot.) As you surely know, it is physically painful to think of what someone who doesnít even specialize in ANY classic cars or restoration, much less how even appreciate he would do to get it in ďrunning orderĒ. Honestly, I feel like throwing up a lot. And I canít get them to trailer it out and sell it as-is.

What I was wondering is if you could give me the names of some good restoration experts. I know it would probably cost at least $100,000 - $150,000 to fully restore, but I feel that itís vital that only the best work on this car. There arenít many of them left, after all.

They want someone who will preferably do the restoration and settle for a percent when they sell it, but I have explained how unlikely and ridiculous that is. But last time I tried to convince them, these cars were only going for about $250,000 fully restored. Now that itís gone up considerably, I can possibly convince them to let some experts look at it. I hate to see it sold, because Iíve known it all my life, but better that than destroyed. We live in Illinois, so the closer the better, but if the best guys arenít close, thatís fine too.

Hopefully Iím writing to the right people.if not, can you please, PLEASE pass suggest who to ask? Iím working against the clock on this one. But no matter what, thank you so much for helping to save such a classic, beautiful car, and listening to my ramblings.

Oh, and p.s. No, Iím afraid you canít come see it, and believe me, all reasonable offers will be refused. Ask the Corvette museum, theyíve been trying to get it forever. And yes, my family IS insane. But my father and I restored classic cars to factory specs for decades (yes, girls can actually be trained to do that), so weíre trying our hardest to prevent this disaster.

Thanks so much for reading!

Thank you sincerely,
Karen Duthie
Karen,
Call Kevin Mackay at Corvette Repair, Inc
The number is 516-568-1959,
the best restoration shop in the country for C1, C2 & C3 Corvettes. Your car will be an award winner once it leaves the shop. Also check the website corvetterepair.com All the best.

Last edited by corvetterepairinc; 03-18-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:41 PM
Bobg91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Karen,
You can try Brian Cantele, he is an NCRS judge and restorer, he works with Bill Mees, who is also a judge and restorer (a wonderful man/ probably the most experienced corvette engine man living) Brian would likely do this type of transaction. 518-755-1769
Bob

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: