Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

‘63 Z06 Tanker needs factory restoration. Any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 02:47 AM
KRISSI
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ‘63 Z06 Tanker needs factory restoration. Any recommendations?

Hi, I have in my immediate family a 1963 Z06 Tanker, grey/black. It’s on its second owner, having been bought by my family member in about 1965. All original, with documentation, sales slip, original owners manual and every piece of paper that came with the car, matching VINS on everything, every single thing on it is original. Garage kept, but original.

But now they want to get a local mechanic to just get it back to running order. (Pause for screaming. I know, I do it quite a lot.) As you surely know, it is physically painful to think of what someone who doesn’t even specialize in ANY classic cars or restoration, much less how even appreciate he would do to get it in “running order”. Honestly, I feel like throwing up a lot. And I can’t get them to trailer it out and sell it as-is.

What I was wondering is if you could give me the names of some good restoration experts. I know it would probably cost at least $100,000 - $150,000 to fully restore, but I feel that it’s vital that only the best work on this car. There aren’t many of them left, after all.

They want someone who will preferably do the restoration and settle for a percent when they sell it, but I have explained how unlikely and ridiculous that is. But last time I tried to convince them, these cars were only going for about $250,000 fully restored. Now that it’s gone up considerably, I can possibly convince them to let some experts look at it. I hate to see it sold, because I’ve known it all my life, but better that than destroyed. We live in Illinois, so the closer the better, but if the best guys aren’t close, that’s fine too.

Hopefully I’m writing to the right people.if not, can you please, PLEASE pass suggest who to ask? I’m working against the clock on this one. But no matter what, thank you so much for helping to save such a classic, beautiful car, and listening to my ramblings.

Oh, and p.s. No, I’m afraid you can’t come see it, and believe me, all reasonable offers will be refused. Ask the Corvette museum, they’ve been trying to get it forever. And yes, my family IS insane. But my father and I restored classic cars to factory specs for decades (yes, girls can actually be trained to do that), so we’re trying our hardest to prevent this disaster.

Thanks so much for reading!

Thank you sincerely,
Karen Duthie
Old 03-15-2019, 06:48 PM
rvazquez
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Nabor brothers in Texas are well known for their extremely high level restorations.
recently, one of the brothers passed away, so I don't know their status, at the moment.
sounds like you have a wonderful car that deserves the finest of care.
good luck with your search
Old 03-17-2019, 06:04 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Kevin MacKay. period. http://corvetterepair.com/
Old 03-31-2019, 03:41 PM
Bobg91
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Karen,
You can try Brian Cantele, he is an NCRS judge and restorer, he works with Bill Mees, who is also a judge and restorer (a wonderful man/ probably the most experienced corvette engine man living) Brian would likely do this type of transaction. 518-755-1769
Bob
Old 05-09-2019, 02:19 PM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2
I agree. Kevin MacKay.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:49 PM
teneck83
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2

Absolutely not. I’ve done business with him. Nothing more than a general contractor, subletting his work. One walk through his shop you would be very disappointed.

Frank Tetro in Florida has had numerous 4500 point cars at NCRS Nationals.

Also Robert Marotta in South Carolina is worth researching.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:37 PM
corvetterepairinc
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dear teneck83, You have done business with Corvette Repair, Inc? when and what kind of business, and your name, please, so we can confirm your statement,
Old 12-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Enzo Colosimo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Hello
sounds like an awesome time capsule
if you could post some pics for the forum
That would be great
Not looking to buy just to observe and learn more about these great cars
Thanks
Enz/Z06/67
Old 01-06-2020, 08:41 AM
KRISSI
8th Gear

I’d be happy to send you some pictures, but first, two things: it’s the definition of “barn kept”. Frankly, the sight of it right now would move any classic car lover to tears. But mostly, I know that saying it exists is one thing, but showing proof to the world and drawing attention to it in a Vette forum, of all places, is very different. I know that this will sound paranoid and crazy, but we’ve had some bad experiences. Back in the’80s and’90s, the Z06 was kept in a backyard one car garage, so the other silver ’63 was parked behind the house in the driveway. And even then, it was almost impossible to see from the road. But because of just that standard split window, we had literally hundreds of people a year, for 20 years, stopping and knocking on the door wanting to look at it. And those were the polite ones. Some just we found wandering around the yard, or trying to get into the car. Most of them never even noticed what was in the garage, thankfully. We finally had to move them again after a freight train stopped in front of the house because the engineer got tired of going by it every day, so he just stopped. (The first time, we moved them after the emblems and, inexplicably, a chunk of fiberglass off the front fender were pried off with a screwdriver. Twice. My tiny aunt tracked them down both times and beat them out of the ’enthusiasts’, who were never seen again). Oddly, these all seemed like nice, otherwise normal people. They didn’t know that they weren’t the first ones to want to “just get a look at it “. Or that just sitting in someone else’s car without asking was strange, I guess. It’s such bizarre, over the top behavior that I’d say it was just a few oddballs if it hadn’t happened hundreds of times for decades. Driving them was a disaster, even the cops would pull you over just to look at the car, and that seemed like it wasn’t legal in any way. They’ve been hidden for about 15 years now, and I’m not looking to start the whole circus back up again.

But I would be happy to send you or anyone who’s interested some pics if you can tell me a way to do it privately, and you don’t tell anyone who you got them from. And, you know, maybe don’t try to visit. (Honestly, I’m hoping that this is too long for people to read, and that they don’t believe the car exists if I won’t post anything.) Because I absolutely do agree with you, there are only so many of certain things out there, and they’re not around forever. If more than one person has at least pictures, then at least something will probably survive for the future. They are a part of history, and we were always happy to share them with people, just not to have them visit the house and let themselves in. And I know I sound like I must be exaggerating, or something, but it’s honestly that bad and worse. And posting them in a public forum, when you can find anyone’s address in 5 minutes, is just inviting disaster.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:47 AM
KRISSI
8th Gear

Thank you so much to Bob and BAD! He sounds good, will check it out! You know I will good engine man. And brakes, oh, the brakes! Nice to have a confirmation, too.

Last edited by KRISSI; 01-06-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:32 AM
KRISSI
8th Gear

Just found out that this question posted in another forum that I completely missed. Sadly, because it’s hilarious. They’re arguing about whether I’m a real person or not. And if this is a scam, which is confusing, because I’m not sure what I’m trying to get.
But anyway, they’ve already proven my point by looking up my whole life story. So, yeah, no pictures. Just me and my imaginary car here!

Old 01-12-2020, 06:47 PM
rvazquez
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

So sorry about the trolls...I hope you get the car to the condition you want it to be.
there are many good Corvette restorers out there, good luck to you in what promises to be a great journey.
regards
Roy
Old 05-24-2020, 11:19 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by KRISSI
Just found out that this question posted in another forum that I completely missed. Sadly, because it’s hilarious. They’re arguing about whether I’m a real person or not. And if this is a scam, which is confusing, because I’m not sure what I’m trying to get.
But anyway, they’ve already proven my point by looking up my whole life story. So, yeah, no pictures. Just me and my imaginary car here!
I would suggest you consider Tony Avedesian, a Z06 knowledgeable restorer. He is located I believe in Marilyn.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:33 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rsinor
I would suggest you consider Tony Avedesian, a Z06 knowledgeable restorer. He is located I believe in Marilyn.
He owns Tony's Corvette in Gaithersburg MD
Old 06-07-2020, 09:09 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

I just got a 63 SWC running in my shop after sitting 30 Years. It was inside the whole time and really didn't take all that much. It has a nice combination of options but is no Z-06 Tanker ! You say the car is in deplorable condition but so was this one its amazing what cleaning can do. As I'm sure you are aware spending 100k restoring the car might make it worth less than it is right now.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:14 PM
PJGalvin
Heel & Toe

Keith Mastriforte in Tampa. He does a ton of Ferrari restoration work for obscenely rich people who want it done right, but he knows Corvettes like the back of his hand.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:23 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,250 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Enzo Colosimo (08-18-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To ‘63 Z06 Tanker needs factory restoration. Any recommendations?

Old 08-22-2020, 10:12 AM
offy34
Cruising

Default Restoration shop

Originally Posted by rvazquez
Nabor brothers in Texas are well known for their extremely high level restorations.
recently, one of the brothers passed away, so I don't know their status, at the moment.
sounds like you have a wonderful car that deserves the finest of care.
good luck with your search

Nabor Brothers have closed up shop. When Ken Nabor passed away Gary decided to retire.

Bob
Old 11-06-2020, 07:24 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Late to this thread . . . if you haven’t sourced this already, Werner Meier at Masterworks in Madison Heights, Michigan would be worthy of contact.

http://www.mwauto.com/index.php
Old 01-24-2021, 03:43 PM
burgessdg
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default restoration

Krissi,

For what it's worth... I have never heard of anyone paying someone to do a total Restoration like what should be done to your tanker and make any money unless they waited 10 or 20 years after the resto to sell it. Labor and parts are so high, you would most likely spend more than it is worth on a proper restoration. As such, I would research heavily anyone that told you they would do the resto for a percentage of what you sell it for. Good restorers have too much guaranteed work to do something like that. I sent you a PM also. I would find someone reputable and local to get it running and sell it as is. I think that would get you the most profit.

My 2 cents,
Good luck, Dan

Quick Reply: ‘63 Z06 Tanker needs factory restoration. Any recommendations?