Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Chicago peeps! Info please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM
perfectlyfrank
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Cruise-In 8, 9 & 11 Veteran

Buy my place so I can move somewhere warm.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by perfectlyfrank
Nothing surpasses the grand splendor of Calumet City.
Great! Now that secret is out!

"Mount Prospect beat out thousands of other communities around the U.S. as the best, most affordable place to raise your kids."

So ya got that goin' for ya!

http://www.city-data.com/city/Mount-...-Illinois.html
Old 12-22-2008, 07:39 PM
tinner73
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he can only spend a half million.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 PM
PGZO6
Instructor

Downers Grove works well.....easy access to all the highways.....Elmhurst is nice....Good schools in both....Good luck!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Jack R. Stein
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I live about 35 minutes northwest of OHare airport in Hawthorn Woods. The nw suburbs that I would recommend are as follows: Barrington, Buffalo Grove, Hawthorn Woods, or Highland Park. Great schools and generally good resale values with very nice neighborhoods. They are in Lake county which is lower taxes than Cook as well.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Stilcrazee
Melting Slicks

R U GOOFY??

Have you considered seeing a doctor before you make move? Dead serious my friend...

This is right up there with the guy that couldn't stand Hawaii and was moving back.

Is there something in the water you are drinking? or is it what you may be smoking?

If I didn't have a very young grandchild and another on the way, I'd be out of here.

This is a nice place to visit but...beyond that??

Last edited by Stilcrazee; 12-23-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:44 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Stilcrazee
R U GOOFY??

Have you considered seeing a doctor before you make move? Dead serious my friend...

This is right up there with the guy that couldn't stand Hawaii and was moving back.

Is there something in the water you are drinking? or is it what you may be smoking?

If I didn't have a very young grandchild and another on the way, I'd be out of here.

This is a nice place to visit but...beyond that??
I've got a friend who moved to Florida from Chicago several years ago after he retired, and he can't wait to move back to Illinois. He and his wife hate it there.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:16 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ignore this post unless you want to be ghettomates with Rob.

If you are a gun owner, avoid Cook County at all costs. Actually, just avoid the whole state.

If you absolutely must move to the Chicago area, Elmhurst is nice as Johnny says and outside of the corrupt cesspool known as Cook County.

Honestly, there are so many better places between here and Florida, I would look elsewhere. Personally, I am hoping to move to the Carolinas in the next year or two.
I'd rather slit my wrists than move to the Carolinas.

To each is own I guess.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:21 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jack R. Stein
I live about 35 minutes northwest of OHare airport in Hawthorn Woods. The nw suburbs that I would recommend are as follows: Barrington, Buffalo Grove, Hawthorn Woods, or Highland Park. Great schools and generally good resale values with very nice neighborhoods. They are in Lake county which is lower taxes than Cook as well.
The problem with that is that I think that the OP loves Chicago and if he can't live in downtown Chicago, he wants easy access to it.

Highland Park isn't bad because it's north of the city. When you get far out west or north west of the city, it's a pain to get into the city.

The problem is that 500K isn't a lot of money to spend. Well.. Maybe it is now since the housing crash. One thing is for certain though, the Gold Coast is out.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:23 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Yeah.. Please. Now I know how everyone felt about me when the Bushies were telling me to get out of the country if I didn't like Bush.

BTW.. The drive from the Palatine and Arlington Heights area into the city if a freakin' nightmare.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:32 AM
perfectlyfrank
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Cruise-In 8, 9 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I'd rather slit my wrists than move to the Carolinas.

To each is own I guess.
I don't think buying a 4000 sq ft. home for $250,000 with $1200 a year in property taxes, enjoying mild winters, driving my Vette most of the year, dating cute southern girls who are actually friendly, etc. would make me suicidal, but yeah to each his own.

Originally Posted by xsiveone
Yeah.. Please. Now I know how everyone felt about me when the Bushies were telling me to get out of the country if I didn't like Bush.

BTW.. The drive from the Palatine and Arlington Heights area into the city if a freakin' nightmare.
I'm glad you were able to get away from the Bushies and be with the liberals like Blago and Daley. Enjoy.

I actually don't care how far the drive into the city is, because I rarely go there.

And, you can quote multiple posts in the same thread, as I've done here.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:26 AM
LMBC6Brian
Pro

Northwest suburbs. Arlington Heights, Barrington, Algonquin, Lake In The Hills, Crystal Lake are all super nice areas that are very upscale and all in the same general area. All those I listed are no more than 35-45 minutes from downtown Chicago via I90. Stay away for the city of Chicago or those ****hole south or south west suburbs. Check out Barrington forsure, you should be able to get a bigass nice house for $500K. Goodluck, but you are ****ing crazy to move up here.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what you are missing - If you lived in Chicago your Vet would be stored for the winter, you would have just come in from snow plowing your driveway and a neighbors driveway. If you are buying a home in the Chicago area buy a cover for your vet, a snowblower, a Bears jersey, and a Cubs hat. That should get you thru...

Old 12-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Pats90
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Check out the Village of Itasca. It is a quaint town with about 8,000 residents. It is 25 miles from downtown, it is close to major expressways, not far from the airport and the train goes downtown. There are tree lined streets, parks, and a Nature Center. The schools are good, the crime rate is very low (I thinks somebody borrowed a snow shovel and didn't bring it back) and in the summer there are many car shows around. The Village website is www.itasca.com
Old 12-24-2008, 01:22 PM
vader1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LMBC6Brian
Stay away for the city of Chicago or those ****hole south or south west suburbs.
Obviously you have never been to the Southwest Suburbs...

Here is an example of what you can get in Frankfort for 500K:

Frankfort house for sale

Also note the school rating by GreatSchools.net
Old 12-24-2008, 01:45 PM
LMBC6Brian
Pro

Originally Posted by vader1
Obviously you have never been to the Southwest Suburbs...

Here is an example of what you can get in Frankfort for 500K:

Frankfort house for sale

Also note the school rating by GreatSchools.net
Sorry dick, i used to live in orland park and Yorkville. I will never go back down there.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Foxman86
Racer

I would have to say Downers Grove, Naperville, Elmhurst St. Charles or Geneva would be your best bet being a Dentist. Good luck with the move

Oh Yeah..... avoid living in the city like the other guys have said if you would like to keep your cars

Get notified of new replies

To Chicago peeps! Info please!

Old 12-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Foxman86
Racer

o yeah there are some nice house for sale out this way also, you get a lot of house for the cost of them right now,

if your interested here some zip codes to look at house out this way

Geneva-60134
St. Charles-60174 (Down Town)
St. Charles- 60175 ( Out West ) <- some good deals out this way that are in your budget
Old 12-24-2008, 05:32 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Take a look at the southwest suburbs of Palos, Orland Park, Homer Glen, Frankfort and Mokena.

Very good schools, great transportation access and the prices are half of what they are in the west and north suburbs.
Don't forget New Lenox too! We are in the same school district as the above places and cheaper than most of them. The average family income is $75K, which is high enough to keep most of the riff raff out, but low enough to draw executive types that are moving FROM Chicago here. We have a Metra station that goes to the city to help the peeps that don't want to deal with the traffic of the city.

$500k would get you a Very Nice house around here that would cost probably $100k+ more in one of those other places mentioned. I've seen some houses in some of those suburbs that cost quite a bit of money because of location, location, location that wouldn't cost $300k around here. Just my take on it!

Best of Luck, but buy yourself a good snow shovel and an ice chipper!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

I don't think buying a 4000 sq ft. home for $250,000 with $1200 a year in property taxes, enjoying mild winters, driving my Vette most of the year, dating cute southern girls who are actually friendly, etc. would make me suicidal, but yeah to each his own.

I'm glad you were able to get away from the Bushies and be with the liberals like Blago and Daley. Enjoy.

I actually don't care how far the drive into the city is, because I rarely go there.

And, you can quote multiple posts in the same thread, as I've done here.
Here's a good place for you to move to. You can join your Republican buddies down there and destroy the rest of this part of the country. I have no interest in that part of the country, so have at it.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/23/ten...ef=mpstoryview

Quick Reply: Chicago peeps! Info please!